So I bought the wrong vehicle a couple of years back

funstopper

Apr 2, 2012
Central Coast, NSW
Hi Guys,

As previously mentioned some time ago I bought a 2011 SR5 Hilux with a 2250kg tow rating which at the time I though was enough. So Im thinking about updating it for a 7 seater so I starting looking at an Isuzu MUX.

During the same time, as I currently work on the M1 Pacific Motorway (old F3) I have seen and know of 5 single vehicle accidents (roll overs) involving Isuzu MUX's towing vans in the last 6 months. I know that they may be legal but all involving larger vans between 21ft-24ft (no Expandas or Jayco's interestingly enough).

Where they crash is on the down hill on the approaches to Mooney Mooney Creek Bridge. Most people will know the bridge.

Anyone know of any of issues with MUX's or any other problems related to towing.

I guess it brings me back looking at a Pajero/Prado. Those Damn Jeeps aren't seven seaters.

Thanks
Scott

yabbietol

Sep 2, 2014
Queanbeyan NSW
Hi Guys,

As previously mentioned some time ago I bought a 2011 SR5 Hilux with a 2250kg tow rating which at the time I though was enough. So Im thinking about updating it for a 7 seater so I starting looking at an Isuzu MUX.

During the same time, as I currently work on the M1 Pacific Motorway (old F3) I have seen and know of 5 single vehicle accidents (roll overs) involving Isuzu MUX's towing vans in the last 6 months. I know that they may be legal but all involving larger vans between 21ft-24ft (no Expandas or Jayco's interestingly enough).

Where they crash is on the down hill on the approaches to Mooney Mooney Creek Bridge. Most people will know the bridge.

Anyone know of any of issues with MUX's or any other problems related to towing.

I guess it brings me back looking at a Pajero/Prado. Those Damn Jeeps aren't seven seaters.

Thanks
Scott
Not sure, but I suspect the primitive rear suspension may contribute to lack of stability of the MUX. Both the Prado and the Pajero have softer, but much better designed rear suspension, which can easily be upgraded (eg Lovell springs and Bilsteins). I guess you get what you pay for, personally I have seen a few MVAs with Mitsubishi Tritons that have no tow and empty tray, again simple old fashion suspension. However, the suspension in the case of the Triton appears to work better under load than unloaded.

Last edited:

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
@funstopper have you thought about a Landcruiser. Obviously new they are in a different price bracket to the MUX but there are some pretty good ones out there 2nd hand.

They are also 8 seaters.