Snorkels

Bmhdg76

Oct 6, 2012
North Lakes, Qld.
Ok as some of you have read in the past, I am less than impressed with our Challenger as a tow vehicle and was looking forward to the day that I would change it. Have briefly looked around whilst have been on holidays, and AFTER discussions between myself and SWMBO it has been determined that at the end of the lease next year we may look at holding onto it for a little bit longer so as to stop giving the banks all our extra hard earned and actually get ahead.

So in saying that I am tossing up whether to throw a snorkel onto the tug. Now this is purely to try to help it to breathe easier and hopefully improve (slightly) the fuel consumption. I have never gone through any water higher than shin deep so is not for that purpose.

So thoughts from the brains trust please - will it make any difference or am I just throwing away my hard earned???

I will probably look at changing my brake control and that as well as adding a UHF and maybe a light bar as these can be transferred when we do change.

BJ.

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
If you are looking to change soon and don't need it for deep water crossings it would seem to be more expensive than the saving on fuel consumption.

Depends, I guess, on how far you intend to travel before changing over the vehicle.

We cringe every time we fill our vehicle but balance that with the distance.
Our towing is around 17l/100 k and around town around 9 or 10.

We also avoid deep water if possible but are more interested in snorkel for dust conditions. Still not sure nor convinced it's necessary.

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
Australia
Ok as some of you have read in the past, I am less than impressed with our Challenger as a tow vehicle and was looking forward to the day that I would change it. Have briefly looked around whilst have been on holidays, and AFTER discussions between myself and SWMBO it has been determined that at the end of the lease next year we may look at holding onto it for a little bit longer so as to stop giving the banks all our extra hard earned and actually get ahead.

So in saying that I am tossing up whether to throw a snorkel onto the tug. Now this is purely to try to help it to breathe easier and hopefully improve (slightly) the fuel consumption. I have never gone through any water higher than shin deep so is not for that purpose.

So thoughts from the brains trust please - will it make any difference or am I just throwing away my hard earned???

I will probably look at changing my brake control and that as well as adding a UHF and maybe a light bar as these can be transferred when we do change.

BJ.
just had my cruiser at turbo engineering for 3 inch exurghst tuning modulator heaps of work they say don't put one on unless I need it will change way engine works retune needed lower air intake temp which is not always good look right into it ring experts see what they say ??????????? the motor is made to work a certain way you can make it leaner or richer ?? they said mine would have to be retuned for less fuel going in which equals less power I get 14 to 17 towing so happy with that do your homework

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
I think for a fuel economy / performance upgrade I would go for an exhaust increase before a snorkel. The snorkel will supply cleaner air when driving on dirt roads and may provide a 'ram air' type intake increase but very little boost to economy. I found with my Navara the snorkel was quite noisy when you gave it a bit of right boot while the Beaudesert Exhaust provided a permanent note that was not obtrusive,

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
I love the induction noise of the snorkel.

The cruiser sucks it's air from the wheel well, I couldn't think of a worse place to draw air from? That and the oh don't be rude moment crossing a bit of water is why I have fitted them to my vehicles. I don't think there is any measurable performance or economy gain so I wouldnt waste your dosh.

Last edited:

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
No advantage to be gained by adding the snorkel. Especially as you want to get rid of it.......my mate reckons his wife's Challenger is the biggest heap around and he can't wait to get rid of it, hates towing with it.

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
you would do far better economy with getting the exhaust sorted out, than you would for a snorkel

as @chartrock & @achjimmy have said, its good for clean air when its very dusty, occasionally good for river / stream / creek crossings
( only if everything is sealed properly, like the little dust extractor in the bottom of most Air Cleaner canisters)

if you are going to keep it for awhile longer - to save pennies before buying what you want -
do the exhaust & also the tyres