20' Series Slider/Awning help

roika11

Jun 14, 2021
Mandurah
I am touring with my 2 month old Jayco Expandavan and I am currently in a caravan park 600kn from a Jayco service centre. My issue is that I cannot retract both the slider and and electric awing. The van has 100% battery and it is disconnected from the vehicle and connected to mains power. Can anyone help with a solution to this as there are high winds forecast and I need to retract the awing and I am stuck here until it is resolved.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Obvious first question is fuses ???
Are any other 12v units not working, lights, usb ports etc ?????
What sort of BMS is fitted to your van, a BMPro or other type ???

Check the terminal where the power is supplied to these units, fuse board or BMS unit, see if the connector has come loose, being a very new van, loose screws or connectors can be an issue. With two things being off line points to a supply to circuit fault, so start at the beginning and work towards them... multi meter to check power is a major help, even a lighglobe test lamp is enough .................

roika11

Jun 14, 2021
Mandurah
Obvious first question is fuses ???
Are any other 12v units not working, lights, usb ports etc ?????
What sort of BMS is fitted to your van, a BMPro or other type ???

Check the terminal where the power is supplied to these units, fuse board or BMS unit, see if the connector has come loose, being a very new van, loose screws or connectors can be an issue. With two things being off line points to a supply to circuit fault, so start at the beginning and work towards them... multi meter to check power is a major help, even a lighglobe test lamp is enough .................
Thanks, all other 12v devices operate, all the fuses on the projecta have 12volt except the awing and the slider which has no 12v on both the supply side and the load side.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Thats interesting, would have to be a Projecta which I haven't played with yet .................... First thoughts is that the Projecta has seen a short of some sort in the circuit and shut it off, since both slider and awning have motors it could be either, I would look at making a jumper cable, disconnect from Projecta and disconnect the slider end while I use the jumper to run some 12v to the awning to see if it will wind in...... if its smokes then stop ..................... if both feed off the one circuit then one could be the problem, isolating each one and testing is the best way to go.
Main reason why I detest these electric awnings and things................. I'll see if I can have a squiz at the Projecta jobbies.....but the jumper is the best quick fix I can think of at the moment don't hard wire it though, you may need to quick disconnect....

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Last edited:

Johnanbev

Jul 7, 2013
Sunbury VIC.
Check the Load Remote Isol;ation Switch it will shut off power to slider and awning circuits...........possibly top left corner of panel..... well thats on a PM235 haven't looked further yet.

Yep found an earlier post where you said you have a Projecta PM235J so I'm in the right place............ https://static1.squarespace.com/static/5939e22ac534a5226114de77/t/5fda92393b50242ca4899f75/1608159810878/PM200-BTJ+Instruction+Manual+(2020-10)_Screen+(1).pdf
@Drover the slide on my van is hard wired around the setec 3, different system I know, but there may be a fuse inline somewhere. Same/ same in the 5th wheeler I had hard wired corner jacks, awning and slide.

Reactions: Drover

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Yep @Johnanbev thats what I was thinking but once having a look at the diagram for the Projecta the Awning and the slider are connected to seperate circuits on the thing so its got to be in the Projecta, then I found a Load Iso switch which switches the load off to these and a few other circuits so an obvious choice though it does look like these 2 circuits have something else in the line which could be a breaker but no identity............

roika11

Jun 14, 2021
Mandurah
thanks for your suggestions. No load remote isolation switch on the Projecta but just inside the door of the van there is a DC isolation switch.
there does not seem to be any info in the projecta link that would explain why everything works except the awing and slider

Reactions: Drover

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Been studying the handout and yes the iso switch seems to be a plug which you can wire something into, in the diagrams there is a unamed bit which I'm still trying to locate... I would test pins L10 , 11 and 14 see if theres power to them, they all run on the same supply with seperate 15amp fuses, if one is live swap over to that to run your awning.......... there are what may be relays K3,4,5,6 on those lines but no info............... Of course there is the old Reset Mode of switch all power to the thing off, no mains, no 12v, no solar, leave it fully dead for 10 mins and then reboot............
Keep us updated as to how you get on........... if i can find a decent circuit diagram it would help.

@mikerezny any idea what the K3 etc diagram is in the above link....

Reactions: Boots in Action

roika11

Jun 14, 2021
Mandurah
Thanks again. The terminations are too tight into the terminals to get a voltmeter probe into. I have initiated the all power off for 10mins. See how we go.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Hope that works, would have thought you could get a probe onto the screw heads at least but they don't always make checking easy on these things...... if all else fails try the jumper idea, I have used it in other similar situations, just temporary to get the thing to operate then all is good.... the box has to shut down fully, all power isolated ...... like your laptop when you could pull the battery out.

roika11

Jun 14, 2021
Mandurah
Thanks for your input Drover. I did the old turn everything off for 10mins including the Projecta and the mains and hey presto it worked. It has got me out of my immediate problem but I will continue to pursue Jayco to find out what is going on and then post it. Thanks again Rod

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Great news often with all these electronic brain jobs be it vans, cars or even TVs now, a shut down and reboot fixes it.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
If you follow up be prepared for blank looks but unless it happens regularly don't give it to them to check out, just cost you money and time, be none the wiser.....
Otherwise are you having a good time and enjoying the new rig ????

roika11

Jun 14, 2021
Mandurah
Projecta response:

I think I Remember updating the firmware, but it is all working now. Thanks for your assistance

Date: 4 October 2021 at 05:33:43 AWST
To: Rodney Strika <rstrika@icloud.com>
Subject: RE: Projecta assistance
Morning Rodney,
It appears that the unit still believes that the vehicle is connected (potentially the VSR has not disengaged) as that is what is designed to occur when vehicle is connected so that you cannot operate the Slide Out or Awning whilst driving.
Have you attempted to reset by cycling the power off/on via the display/app, or main switch on the front of the unit.

Also I believe there is a firmware update to correct this issue, have you installed the latest firmware onto the system via the app and Bluetooth?

Regards,

Benny

Benny Blood
Technical Support Officer
bennyb@brownwatson.com.au

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
There you go, I'm actually amazed I didn't first suggest fuses then shut down and reboot, especially as I have been restoring a computer back to life, a very annoying process to be sure................ I'm always wary of updates, be it computer, car software , phone etc often its because of some supposed problem with something you will never bother with, then they get a glitch, if it all works I leave it alone....... Microsoft and Google updates all manner of things mostly stuff i don't ever use, in windows case its my Op System, all the other microsoft programs I delete and use thgird party stuff, less glutches and smoother running and I have a script which stops it from updating....... which is all totally off topic.........
Don't forget the pics of your trip so we may drool at your luck of being away......