Shower Wall Lining

Turtle

Banned
Jan 23, 2011
Bathurst, NSW
Hi all,

I've noticed that the internal lining of my shower (on the external wall) gets quite a noticable bump in it on hot days and settles again when the day cools.

If you press against it it feels as though it has been glued to what ever is behind it and has lifted as it feels quite tacky behind.

It is obviously an expansion and contraction issue and I was wondering if this is normal or has anyone else noticed the same thing.

Reactions: chartrock

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....
www.expandasdownunder.com
Not normal, take it back and get them to refit a new set of shower walls. It has not sealed from the factory install and is a common problem on shower toilet models.

Had it done on my one, was a big job to do it but they did it no questions asked.

Turtle

Banned
Jan 23, 2011
Bathurst, NSW
Thanks Expanda,
Maybe we should start a common faults thread!
We've had the following,
1) shower head has been replaced twice as they seem to fracture on there molding.
2) flick mixer in shower started leaking at the tap
3) water leak developed at the water pump
4) currently booked in for the air cond to be looked at as it doesn't cool (gas leak)
5) and now the shower recess

I'm a tradie so I have a bit of compassion when it comes to defective work although my cheese and kisses is starting to wonder what's next!

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
Thanks for that, Turtle. The same thing happened to our shower while we were away but it settled down when we arrived home so I was not going to worry about it but this has convinced me to bring it up when my van goes in for warranty work on Monday week.

goanna

Jul 8, 2011
Perth WA
Mine has just been in for it's 12 month service and we mentioned that the shower had a bump in it. We were told it's ok but let Jayco know about it just in case it gets worse, haven't done that yet but will be sending Jayco an email and then a phone call the next day and see what they say Paul

goanna

Jul 8, 2011
Perth WA
just sent Jayco an email about this problem but guess what the email is one of those funny ones that nothing may happen, have sent emails to other companies that use the info@ address and I end up getting what I am after from other companies because I dont get a reply, Hopefully Jayco wont be like that

Turtle

Banned
Jan 23, 2011
Bathurst, NSW
I've just spoken with our local dealer and he's going to look at it next week when he's fixing the air conditioner.
It sounded as though it is quite common and won't be challenged although the rectification is quite involved so we'll arrange it for after Christmas.

Turtle

Banned
Jan 23, 2011
Bathurst, NSW
Gave the van a once over just to make sure that there is nothing else to have looked at next week and found that I can't get any water to flow when hooked up to mains pressure.
This wasn't a problem before although I hadn't tried it since they fixed the leaking water pump. Maybe they put the plumbing back together incorrectly!!!
I've followed the mains plumbing and there seems to be a valve type thing that joins the mains in with the rest of the plumbing and the front tap. Seems to me that it found be a 1way valve that stops the water coming back out the mains connection when it's not in use. Might have been put back on backwards or simply blocked.
Any ideas???

Deano

Aug 10, 2011
Bargara, Qld
Thanks Expanda,
Maybe we should start a common faults thread!
We've had the following,
1) shower head has been replaced twice as they seem to fracture on there molding.
2) flick mixer in shower started leaking at the tap
3) water leak developed at the water pump
4) currently booked in for the air cond to be looked at as it doesn't cool (gas leak)
5) and now the shower recess

I'm a tradie so I have a bit of compassion when it comes to defective work although my cheese and kisses is starting to wonder what's next!

We have water forming a puddle outside the door of the shower on the floor after a shower.
Would this be a sicilone issue?

Pace

Sep 16, 2011
melbourne
We have water forming a puddle outside the door of the shower on the floor after a shower.
yeah us too, i have put it to at times of where the shower head is pointing, though still on the look out for other potential issue with door sealing, hasnt gone in for service yet, though will mention it.

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....

Does the water also come out under the kitchen if you take the van of its jacks / wobble it?

It sounds like the drain pipe in your shower floor is possibly leaking, if this is the case be very careful as it can cause serious damage.

Fill the shower up by putting a plug in the drain, don't use it just fill it up.

Leave it over night and see if it empties / drops.

Dont fill it over the lip of the shower recess just enough to fill the plastic area before the silicone.

If this produces no drainage / drop in level then fill it up a touch over the silicone and see what happens.

Deano

Aug 10, 2011
Bargara, Qld
Hey Expanda,
It seems to be draining ok. The problem seems to be between the bamboo floor and the bottom of the shower. I will try what you mentioned and see how we go. Thanks for the advice.
Cheers Deano

Turtle

Banned
Jan 23, 2011
Bathurst, NSW
Well, the van is going back to the dealer tomorrow to have the shower lining replaced. This will be the last thing on my list?
They are also looking at the struts on the hard lids as they seem to seize if left open for more than a couple of days.
I'm getting a 12 month service as well.

ROnEM

Mar 13, 2012
Macedon Ranges, Vic
Deano,

BusyBusyMum might have a simple solution to your shower/water issue as she has fitted a shower curtain inside the toilet/shower area. Could be water coming out the door seals be as a result of the shower head direction as pace9908 suggests. The shower curtain may very well stop this water leak and pooling issue.

Cheers,

Ro

Deano

Aug 10, 2011
Bargara, Qld
Hey Ro,
Since my last post on the shower issue, the dealer said that the shower wasn't sealed? What the? They since fixed the problem. Thanks for your advice.
After all our showers we just chamois and squidgey it down. Bath mat outside the shower.
Cheers Deano.

Big Gee

Apr 8, 2011
The ACT
Hey Ro,
the dealer said that the shower wasn't sealed?
Cheers Deano.

Hi Deano,

We had the same trouble with our 17.56-2. First use of the shower & we had water all over the floor in the caravan. After another trip over to the dealer they sealed it all up with silicone and I have had no issues since!

Perhaps Jayco are on a silicone shortage :laugh:

Shaun

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
Hi Deano,

We had the same trouble with our 17.56-2. First use of the shower & we had water all over the floor in the caravan. After another trip over to the dealer they sealed it all up with silicone and I have had no issues since!

Perhaps Jayco are on a silicone shortage :laugh:

Shaun

Hi Guys
We will be ordering one soon and i'm compiling a list of what to look for on delivery. Has anyone got a picture of where the missing silicone is or can describe? I suppose it will be hard to spot a fault on delivery if it's not there and you dont know it's supposed to be...

Thanks