Security for parked expanda outback

Jaypanda

Apr 22, 2013
Adelaide
So after all the waiting, our pick up is booked in for the 1st July....which brings security for our parked van into mind. What does everyone use to secure their van. We were looking at buying a Klamp It Wheel Clamp. We were thinking size D is the correct size after look at the website. Has anyone tried one on their expanda outback? We alsohave trigg hitch. What's the best way to secure it?
Thanks for your help

Matty4

Mar 18, 2011
Wandin North, Vic
I guess the more security features you have on the van, the better.
The Klamp It is probably a good start but you could also look at having another pin for the hitch and fit a couple of padlocks on either end once inserted into the trigg. Lockable bollards on your drive in front of the van.

Multiple things will delay them enough to look elsewhere IMHO.

AndrewC

Mar 20, 2013
Murrumba Downs, Brisbane
I have a Klampit and it is only really a visual deterant. Locks only keep the honest out, and if they want it, they will take it. These days with cordless tools, I could remove my Klampit with a grinder in under 30 seconds.

Since you have a treg hitch, its a little harder for the person to steal it that is doing so on impulse, however, it is easily organised to get the right hitch for the car in preparation.

Tow ball cop is a good option for the standard hitches but unfortunately this is not an option for you.

I work on two theorys for mine. Give them heaps of stuff to do to take it. Eg keep it stored with the legs down, put a cover on it, install the Klampit and put a chain between the spokes of two of the wheels joining them together. None of this will stop them taking it but it will slow them down and will make noise and hopefully get them noticed.

A chain from the axle to a plate bolted to the ground is also an option but I have not done this as knowing my luck, I will forget to undo it and end up with my axle ripped out from under the van!!

My other theory is put a tracker in it. At least that way if it goes, you stand a chance of getting it back. My tracker cost $150 by memory from Jaycar and I use a Telstra telemetry sim which cost $5 per month plus each text message it sends.

Jaypanda

Apr 22, 2013
Adelaide
Thanks for the advice Andrew C. The general consensus seems to be make it as difficult and fiddly as possible for thieves, and have a decent insurance policy to fall back on;)

Bushman

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Wollondilly Shire NSW
At our previous residents I had to jack-knife it into the front yard between a brick letter box and a power pole with inches to spare, I figured if they were that keen they could have it, however it also had hitch lock, opposite legs down with jockey wheel removed with the drawbar sitting on a stand.

Now it lives behind locked gates, with the hitch lock, jockey removed, and one ferral Border Collie looking after it.

Brad

Jan 2, 2012
Rowville, Victoria
most of ours are visual. The tow ball lock, large cable wrapped around the wheel and a sticker that says Hidden GPS tracking device on board.

crackacoldie

Jan 8, 2013
Newcastle NSW
We have a padlock on the hitch, leave the legs down and remove the jockey wheel. Like others have said, if it looks to hard they will go elsewhere.