17' Series Saved by a fellow Expanda - Locked out

Duncanblake36

Nov 17, 2016
Doreen
Well, 4 days away camping in North West of Vic on the Glenelg River over Easter. Awesome.

We headed home to Melbourne today and decided to stop at Ararat to get lunch. Got distracted (kids, wife, dog) and accidentally locked both keys in the van (I do the sneaky door lock from the inside – bad habit I know). I did a double check before we left and made sure everything was locked and shut tight.

Thought well - I'll deal with that on the way home as we had 3 hours in front of us. Got the wife to google "how to break into a expanda" and nothing. Rang RACV – not covered. Googled which locks were cheapest to replace. Anyway. Thought the best option was to try and pop the top from the outside and see if we can access the van via the canvas. Best option I thought. Not sure if possible though.

Had to stop for diesel at the BP at Ballan East (just off the freeway) and feed the baby and that’s when it all turned to pooooop.....

My darling 7 month daughter decided to do a number 3 all up her back in the car seat. In a normal situation we would have changed her and all good but everything was in the van – the locked van!

Ended up stripping her off and wiping her down and putting her in a new nappy. No clothes (as they were in the van). Wrapped her in a blanket and my wife went in and paid for the fuel while my other 2 other boys have gotten cabin fever and were jumping around in the back seat.

I’m thinking “What else can go wrong?”. Laughing but crying on the inside.

That’s when it happened. I look over and there is a brand new Jayco Expanda pop top (similar to mine but newer) pulled up at the bowser next to me. I’m like what are the chances……

I’m like “Ummmm excuse me but I locked both keys in the van in Ararat and I don’t know how I can get in to my van – can I just check if your keys and see if they fit (as some locks are the same as they have numbers on them).

Here’s what they would have seen.

An unshaven dad in camping clothes holding a baby in a blanket in a nappy with 2 boys (4 and 6) scrapping with each other in the back seat with no mum in sight. Asking for keys for a van he was towing.

After explaining the situation of what’s just happened they got their keys out and we checked the numbers.

I read the number on the front drop down bed lock. B12. Their keys B12.

Holly Crap - I could not believe it – it opened the front bed locks.

We dropped them down and through the little gap in the canvas (at the front bottom) I could see the spare keys hanging on the hook next to the door. I thanked, and thanked, and thanked them again. Bloody Amazing.

I had to move the van as there were people behind us so I pulled up in the car park. My wife came over from the servo from paying for the fuel.

The family who helped us also pulled up beside us and asked if we needed any more help. All good. Thanked them again. My mind was already on the next stage of how to break in.

Got home at 5 and ended up getting a long pole with a strong magnet on it and got the spare set of keys out. Took a whole 5 minutes and we were back in the van. This could have ended so differently.

So in all of this. As bad as it is. If you ever lock your keys in the van – just ask a fellow Expanda for their keys - Just maybe they will have a key and save you a few hundred dollars in damage or locksmith costs!

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
The Old Mini key trick that still applies today, wonderful.............................................those bed end locks you can pop the key barrel out of the housing, just insert a hook into the keyway and give it a sharp pull and they will normally pop out...

Reactions: Duncanblake36

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Ha, @Duncanblake36 just read your post to Mrs D, it's better the second time round, we both had a good laugh, I have a van door key on my Ute keys for just that reason by the way....................Still chuckling away, such a good read, sort of thing @Dobbie would do regularly I would think.

Mick

Mar 15, 2014
Victoria
WOW thats a good story thanks for bringing back those memories.
one day by mistake I put the security door key in the expanda door as it was a simular key and it acttuly opened the door???

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
Ha, @Duncanblake36 just read your post to Mrs D, it's better the second time round, we both had a good laugh, I have a van door key on my Ute keys for just that reason by the way....................Still chuckling away, such a good read, sort of thing @Dobbie would do regularly I would think.

Only once would @Dobbie do it.....and I'll bet @Duncanblake36 will have the same track record.

The images created by that tale of woe had me cringing

:oops:o_O

Duncanblake36

Nov 17, 2016
Doreen
If only you knew that we only had about 10 whips in the Hilux that were used in the first 10 seconds of chaos. After that - we had nothing.... I had to use the paper towel next to the diesel bowser - you know the stuff that they have to wipe you hands with if you get petrol on them. I went back about 5 times....

That was the other thing my wife bought from the servo a $6 pack of wipes (6 bucks she says - what a rip off). Seriously if it was a $100 I wouldn't have cared.

All turned out well in the end.

No poop in the hilux either - Thank god :)

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
It's not the bits you find and wipe off that cause problems....it's the bits you miss and find later for obvious reasons.

We once had a milk spill.....didn't find all of it to clean up ....but found it much later.

The maggots were significant....and the smell!

You'll remember that incident forever!

o_O

Duncanblake36

Nov 17, 2016
Doreen
I was once in the scouts many many years ago so next time I'll "Be prepared". This is number 3 so so very relaxed this time around :).

Dobbie - Yes you love finding the little treasures in the back seat. There has been many a time where you say to your self "What the hell is this?"

Reactions: bigcol