Safety check gas bottle

Mick

Mar 15, 2014
Victoria
This is a safety check the valve is in no way faulty or recalled but I thought it was important to post !

We had done a recent trip north to lawn hill fellow travelers who know the trip would know it's a bit of a rough road and as the wife calles me mister safety when I checked and recheck all parts of the van but , on a recent weekender we had trouble with the gas it would run and then run out I knew the bottle was low but not empty I found that the valve to the bottle must have with all the vibration must have made it come loose and when I titend it back up all was good were the other bottle had no issues .
IMG_0065.JPG

Reactions: 1DayIll

Mick

Mar 15, 2014
Victoria
Yes I believe that they work fine as I haven't had any issues with them before and I trust them more than the tape stuck to the side of the bottle or the handheld device

Reactions: 1DayIll

BJM

Sep 29, 2018
Yamba
Had them on the outside gas bottle on my Cub off road.Two failed(Supercheap) moisture inside,wrong reading and faded.

MDS69

Jul 6, 2014
The gauge it just a bonus as far as I am concerned. I like the safety fuse part in the event of a gas leak.

rags

The gauge it just a bonus as far as I am concerned. I like the safety fuse part in the event of a gas leak.

My take on gas fuses.
The safety fuse won't detect a gas leak but rather it will detect if you had had a pipe rupture. They detect rapid discharging of gas. Most gas leaks are slow and the fuse can't tell the difference between the leak and an appliance running.

If you are seeking security then a gas monitor is the go although again will only detect a leak internally it won't necessarily help with a leak under the van. And remember all escaping gas will end up on the ground/ floor.
A splash of spray and wipe over the fittings is easy to do every so often.

Macca_75

Aug 3, 2016
SE Suburbs, Vic.
Worth noting is the new Adventurers no longer have gas fuses (I was told no Jayco's have them anymore).

The Truma gas heaters don't work with them (and are supplied with the Adventurers).

Reactions: Drover

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I have never come across anyone with a major gas leak which would activate the Gas Fuze but have come across heaps of folks who have had problems with them, the idea is great but the many folks are under the impression that they detect a gas leak which as @rags has pointed out, I have never used one as the need is a rarity but I do have a LPG detector in the van and a few new O rings for the gas connectors, I usually travel with a spare hose for bottle to 2 way valve while I use flexi couplings I carry a spare copper pig tail as it doesn't age.....it should be noted that a combined LPG/CO detector is not much use as LPG sits on the floor and CO hangs around the roof, far better to get a LPG detector for the floor near the fridge/stove lines and a CO/ smoke unit for the roof, with a diesel heater I should install a CO detector so if the unit leaks or the exhaust enters the van......problem is being deaf I can't even hear the smoke alarm.........so in conclusion I have had more problems like many others with slow leaks and they seem to be the problems that cause the big bangs.

BJM

Sep 29, 2018
Yamba
Bought a near new s/h Baby Q a couple of months ago ,attached it to a new swap 9 k bottle ,lit the Q then bang a lit jet shot out of the bottle where the valve screws in.Luckily outside,got a wet towel around my arm and manged to turn bottle off.Very small leak ,big fright!!

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
I have never come across anyone with a major gas leak which would activate the Gas Fuze but have come across heaps of folks who have had problems with them, the idea is great but the many folks are under the impression that they detect a gas leak which as @rags has pointed out, I have never used one as the need is a rarity but I do have a LPG detector in the van and a few new O rings for the gas connectors, I usually travel with a spare hose for bottle to 2 way valve while I use flexi couplings I carry a spare copper pig tail as it doesn't age.....it should be noted that a combined LPG/CO detector is not much use as LPG sits on the floor and CO hangs around the roof, far better to get a LPG detector for the floor near the fridge/stove lines and a CO/ smoke unit for the roof, with a diesel heater I should install a CO detector so if the unit leaks or the exhaust enters the van......problem is being deaf I can't even hear the smoke alarm.........so in conclusion I have had more problems like many others with slow leaks and they seem to be the problems that cause the big bangs.
CO is very close to the weight of air, so it will mix quite nicely through the entire space. Rest assured, theres no sweet spot in the middle for you to hide. On a positive note CO is produced burning fossil fuels, so to have a gas leak and CO issue at the same time the source of the CO issue should ignite all that pesky gas, blow the roof and walls off the van, easily allowing the CO to safely escape. Im a glass half full kinda helper :D:D

Reactions: Drover