16' Series roof paint

wizzerwazza

Sep 20, 2010
perth, nor
Hi all,

I recently resealed the roof of my 2006 model. While i was up there i noticed the roof is dull and sort of chalky? You can rub your hand along the roof and get white powder on your fingers. I was wondering if anyone has repainted their van roof and what paint to use? I was going to go down to the boat accessory shop and get some boat paint.

thanks

Warren

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
Have you washed and polished it first? Try some good quality boat wash and polish maybe.

17triton

Feb 24, 2013
Ballarat
Warren by what you have said it sounds like your roof has oxidised. Macca hit the nail on the head with what he said. I used to be a car detailer and hopefully you won't have to paint it. It might need more than just a wash and hand polish though. Do you know anyone who does cut and polishes on cars over there? A light cut with cutting compound then a wash and a good polish should bring it back to life and then an annual polish should keep it schmicko.
Cheers Matt.

wizzerwazza

Sep 20, 2010
perth, nor
Ok, thanks for the replies. I looked up oxidisation and yes it looks like my roof has done that. So I researched what to do and a cut and polish is the way to go. I bought some cutting compound and have done about half the roof. A little improvement but not back to its former glory. Still some stains/dark marks and dull. So i think I would still like to paint it. Any ideas on the paint?
thanks
wizzer

Adam G

Jul 28, 2013
If you are going to paint it anyway I think you should first keep going with the cutters, unless the paint is damaged all the way through it's thickness the cutters should do the job.

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
If you are going to paint it anyway I think you should first keep going with the cutters, unless the paint is damaged all the way through it's thickness the cutters should do the job.

Agree with Adam, maybe a boat detailer could be helpful.