18' Series Reverse Camera install

Huffnpuff

Nov 28, 2020
Lake Macquarie
Hi all. Our new to us ‘17 18.xx outback came with an uninstalled Safety Dave reversing camera.

Has anyone installed a wired camera to an Expanda, or can point me to a how to guide? Is it DIY friendly for a reasonably competent home handy person?

Thanks in advance.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
How long is a piece of string ???????????????
Its one of those jobs really, some mount to top of rear wall and run cabling down thru cupboards and underneath for the run to the draw bar while others have them mounted on a post above a rear bar mounted spare so depends on your configuration at the back.......

On my 14.44 I mounted it on the rear wall above the bed end, running the cables inside and down thru the bed end cavity to underneath, not something I would like to do again, trying to get the cable to feed inside the wall was bluddy horrible. No bed end, then inside a cupboard would be the shot... I picked up power from a stray 12v wire at the back around the tail lights, ideally using the 12v fridge power supply is good as it will only be active when hooked up, draws bugger all power so not a biggy, also shows when power to fridge drops off as so does Cam...... bonus.

Since I had spare pins in my 12 pin I used them for the 2 cam feed wires but eventually made up a dedicated socket using a 2 pin mike socket from Jaycar, works well. The supplied leads needed a bit more length so I replaced them with a long HDMI cable, just cut the plugs off, perfect for the job and has extra cables if other feeds are needed for some reason.... I only used a 2 wire run, could see no need for audio..............

Anyway have a good look around on here as there are some threads about it and with pics.

Reactions: jazzeddie1234

mfexpanda

Apr 1, 2011
Brookfield, Vic
How long is a piece of string ???????????????
Its one of those jobs really, some mount to top of rear wall and run cabling down thru cupboards and underneath for the run to the draw bar while others have them mounted on a post above a rear bar mounted spare so depends on your configuration at the back.......

On my 14.44 I mounted it on the rear wall above the bed end, running the cables inside and down thru the bed end cavity to underneath, not something I would like to do again, trying to get the cable to feed inside the wall was bluddy horrible. No bed end, then inside a cupboard would be the shot... I picked up power from a stray 12v wire at the back around the tail lights, ideally using the 12v fridge power supply is good as it will only be active when hooked up, draws bugger all power so not a biggy, also shows when power to fridge drops off as so does Cam...... bonus.

Since I had spare pins in my 12 pin I used them for the 2 cam feed wires but eventually made up a dedicated socket using a 2 pin mike socket from Jaycar, works well. The supplied leads needed a bit more length so I replaced them with a long HDMI cable, just cut the plugs off, perfect for the job and has extra cables if other feeds are needed for some reason.... I only used a 2 wire run, could see no need for audio..............

Anyway have a good look around on here as there are some threads about it and with pics.
i think @davemc has safety dave fitted cameras

Huffnpuff

Nov 28, 2020
Lake Macquarie
Thanks. I really need to check out the kit to work out what I’ve got. I’ve been told it’s dual camera and rear view mirror monitor. I’m hoping I can install up top of the van, there seems to be a flat spot for a camera up there but yes, it will increase level of difficulty for cable runs.

I’ll check out davemc‘s posts to see what was done.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
If you need to extend cables use RCA plugs, heat shrinked works well ............... Safety Dans gear is not really set up any different to all the other brands out there..... basically you need a power feed for the cam and one for the dash monitor, ideally if your using your Van cam as a constant on rear view then a 90 deg or less angle cam is ideal the standard reverse cam of 120 deg doesn't really give distance so you don;t see the Kenny until its 20 foot away.

Reactions: jazzeddie1234