Research prior to placing order.

Paul75

Jul 28, 2013
Gippsland, VIC
G'day All,
Firstly, this has been an awesome site to use as a research tool prior to ordering an Expanda. Not sure how I would have gone about it without the amount of knowledge and experience available here.
I'm Paul, and travel with my wife and 3 kids (5.5, 2.5, and nearly 1). After a lot of looking, touching and reading about various caravans we have decided a Jayco Expanda 18.57-9OB is most suited to our needs. This will be an upgrade from a soft floor camper trailer.

Prior to placing an order I would like to ask a few questions. Please feel free to provide as much feedback as possible, whether related to my questions or not.

1. Is it worth ordering, to get in the 'queue', and then worry about where extra power points, lights etc wil go or does that need to be finalised when placing order?

2. I keep reading about a Setec unit in these vans. From what I can tell it takes the 240VAC and rectifies and steps it down to a 12VDC output to run lights etc. What I would like to do is not have this unit and have all things that can run off 12V connected directly to the battery. A CTEK 25amp charger would then take 240v input and charge battery whenever connected to mains. One advantage to this is that i can then just have an anderson plug from van battery that would plug into my existing tow vehicle one and provide power from car aux battery when stationary or recharge battery from alternator. Has anyone done this or see a problem with it?

3. For anyone with the Holiday Annexe bed ends; do these stay attached when folding bed up or have to be removed/installed each time?

4. Can bedding (sheets/doonas) be left on bed when folding up to travel?

5. Thoughts on 4 seasons roof hatch upgrade?

6. Where is battery and Setec unit normally located on this model?

Sorry for the bombardment of questions.
And thanks to all the posters on here who provide a heap of valuable input for people like me to use prior to purchasing.

Cheers,
Paul

Reactions: Wanda

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
Welcome Paul, and congrats on deciding to buy an expanda!
If it was me I'd be pretty sure on what extras I'd like before ordering, two reasons 1 you don't get much time after placing order to sign off and 2 you can compare prices with your list of extras, once you've placed order and deposit your less likely to get good prices.
As far as the setec goes I'd order as is and mod yourself if that's what you want to do, I don't think Jayco would do what you want anyway. You can still do what you want and leave the setec in the van.....better for resale.
Holiday annexe ends need to be removed before you fold end up.
We travel with egg shell and sheet on mattress but blankets and doona makes it a bit tight for us.
Didn't know 4 seasons hatches are an upgrade, ours came with them....very happy!
Battery and setec are always under lounge but not sure which one on this model!

Don't be sorry for asking questions, its what this sites all about :)
Hope I have helped!
Cheers.

Reactions: Wanda

Paul75

Jul 28, 2013
Gippsland, VIC
Thanks for that Burnsy, most definitely helps. I was thinking cthat changing the whole electric setup may be pushing it with Jayco and I'm sure it wouldn't come out as desired. So might leave it as is like you suggest and put it on the to do list.

Another question for anyone out there. Anyone fitted a diesel heater?

Mike7

Nov 10, 2011
Gday Paul,

Mate I would leave the Setek unit in there. Ive gone with a 25A Ctek charger as well and all I do is switch the battery off when using the Ctek to charge. On my van tho if I switch off the battery I lose all the 12v appliances as well even when plugged into 240v so Im in the process of fitting a isolation switch between the Setek and the batteries. I want the Ctek to be able to only charge the batteries and not power any of the van appliances when charging at the van park, the Setek can take care of the 12v stuff. Ive got a NASA Bm1 battery monitor so its a little complicated to have everything connected to the unit so I get accurate charge time etc.

When free camping my solar charger and batteries take care of 12v supply.

One other thing, if you want an extra battery or water tank etc make sure you get it at the factory before they deliver your van as that way your payload is still in tact as Jayco will do all the weights in the factory etc. If you wait till you get the van then put the battery in yourself you will loose around 35kg of load carrying capacity. Doesn't sound like much but man does the junk add up that we take away with us.

Re the heating, I know how this sounds as the whole idea is to go camping but conside getting a rooftop aircon fitted when you place the order, the new ones are proper reverse cycle and work well. I was advised to do this purely from a resale value point of view but the unit has saved us on many a hot day or cold night and im really glad I did it.

There are guys on this forum that have fitted diesel/gas heaters to their vans successfully so someone will chime in with some info. Good thing with a heater is being able to camp off grid compared to an aircon

All the best.

Cheers
Mike

Last edited:

Holden_man

Aug 21, 2012
Brisbane - Carindale
Hi Paul,
Welcome to you and the family, it is a great forum, plenty of friendly folk in here.
Mate I agree with the other guys.
Get the option list together up front, like burnsy says you can then compare prices and negotiate hard. We added extras after signing and you pay list price, no negotiation.
Had to ask the boss about the bed, I only sleep in it....:) she tells me the Donna and pillows get packed away and leave the sheets on. We also have the egg shell topper. Works well, ours came from target.
Agree about the Setek, Jayco won't change, you can mod later.
4 Season hatches were offered to us as an upgrade also at around $100 bucks each, we gave them a miss, am sure they are good, happy with standard though. We were running out of cash and we had to work out some of the things that had to go, at work we call it Value Engineering..:)
Don't stress about rushing into ordering, its going to be a long wait no matter what you do, so take the time, get your wish list together and then price far and wide. One thing I learnt from others in here, check prices outside the dealers nearby. Deals can be made interstate if you are happy to drive.

Anyhow welcome aboard, look forward to hearing how you go.

Regards
HM

brotys

Jun 15, 2013
leongatha
Hi Paul Work out every thing you want before you place your order get a better price .You do have to remove the bed annexe before you close the hard top . Gas heater are very good do know off a couple with one in there van and they rave about it but if you go for the ibis roof top unit you cant go wrong. Battery pack goes under one off the seats .We just brought a 20/63-1 thought about a hatch but went away from it only because our van came with 3x roof hatches .Bedding take of doona off but can leave sheet on.Welcome to this site i see your from Gippsland make sure you check your local jayco dealer we got ours from gippsland jayco and i say you are made more them welcome there and there price was over the moon .

shiraz

Oct 22, 2012
sellicks hill s.a
G'day All,
Firstly, this has been an awesome site to use as a research tool prior to ordering an Expanda. Not sure how I would have gone about it without the amount of knowledge and experience available here.
I'm Paul, and travel with my wife and 3 kids (5.5, 2.5, and nearly 1). After a lot of looking, touching and reading about various caravans we have decided a Jayco Expanda 18.57-9OB is most suited to our needs. This will be an upgrade from a soft floor camper trailer.
Prior to placing an order I would like to ask a few questions. Please feel free to provide as much feedback as possible, whether related to my questions or not.

1. Is it worth ordering, to get in the 'queue', and then worry about where extra power points, lights etc wil go or does that need to be finalised when placing order?

2. I keep reading about a Setec unit in these vans. From what I can tell it takes the 240VAC and rectifies and steps it down to a 12VDC output to run lights etc. What I would like to do is not have this unit and have all things that can run off 12V connected directly to the battery. A CTEK 25amp charger would then take 240v input and charge battery whenever connected to mains. One advantage to this is that i can then just have an anderson plug from van battery that would plug into my existing tow vehicle one and provide power from car aux battery when stationary or recharge battery from alternator. Has anyone done this or see a problem with it?

3. For anyone with the Holiday Annexe bed ends; do these stay attached when folding bed up or have to be removed/installed each time?

4. Can bedding (sheets/doonas) be left on bed when folding up to travel?

5. Thoughts on 4 seasons roof hatch upgrade?

6. Where is battery and Setec unit normally located on this model?

Sorry for the bombardment of questions.
And thanks to all the posters on here who provide a heap of valuable input for people like me to use prior to purchasing.

Cheers,
Paul

Hi Paul,
Couple of things to contemplate would be extended a frame as if fitting a stone shield its a bit tight on standard set up,also a outside point for led light on an extention cable. usefull if bush camping. add wireing for solar, we use portable as campsites are usually in shade National Pks , good luck with the negotations, mate of mine got them to through the electric brake system for his car in the deal.
we have the 16 49 3 ob and its earn't its keep,
regards Shiraz

Paul75

Jul 28, 2013
Gippsland, VIC
Thanks for the collective input guys. Looks like the setec is staying and will just mod as necessary when I have taken delivery.

Broty, when you say Gippsland Jayco's price was 'over the moon' is this an expensive over the moon or a good deal over the moon? Preference would be to use these guys if the price is right.

Xpandafan

Seriously Likeable!
Aug 24, 2012
Kealba, Victoria
Thanks for the collective input guys. Looks like the setec is staying and will just mod as necessary when I have taken delivery.

Broty, when you say Gippsland Jayco's price was 'over the moon' is this an expensive over the moon or a good deal over the moon? Preference would be to use these guys if the price is right.
Not to pre-empt @brotys reply, but it can really be worth shopping around. Service visits, if some way from home, are another excuse to get away for a few days. As well as the $'s, look at the people, are they jayco/caravan enthusiasts or just salesmen. Talk to service/parts people as well: they'll be the ones you see after you've made your purchase.

brotys

Jun 15, 2013
leongatha

Gippsland jayco price was very good bet everyone and your not just a number paul and his team are the best to deal with both on ordering van and after sales take it from me we have brought 2 new vans from them and allways look after us like family

Paul75

Jul 28, 2013
Gippsland, VIC
No worries, will do Greg. I'm heading off to Page Bros RV today to have a look at the floorplan we are after as Gippsland Jayco don't have one on display.

Paul75

Jul 28, 2013
Gippsland, VIC
Yeah, all done. Ordered a 18.57-9OB with the following additions;
  • Extended a-frame
  • Extra water tank
  • Extra gas bayonet at rear
  • External shower with annex type light above
  • IBIS air con
  • 184L fridge
  • Tv provision
  • External entertainment unit
  • Extra 12/240v points
  • Fold down picnic table
  • Extra annexe light
  • Drifter control panel
  • 2 x 100ah batteries
  • Hyland hitch
  • and a couple of mods to cabinetry
Delivery mid to late October apparently. Pretty bloody excited!!

Reactions: shadow75

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
Yeah, all done. Ordered a 18.57-9OB with the following additions;
  • Extended a-frame
  • Extra water tank
  • Extra gas bayonet at rear
  • External shower with annex type light above
  • IBIS air con
  • 184L fridge
  • Tv provision
  • External entertainment unit
  • Extra 12/240v points
  • Fold down picnic table
  • Extra annexe light
  • Drifter control panel
  • 2 x 100ah batteries
  • Hyland hitch
  • and a couple of mods to cabinetry
Delivery mid to late October apparently. Pretty bloody excited!!

Woo Hoo.
Bring on October!