Replacing Screws

Rhett

Nov 1, 2013
Hi All!,

Just became owner of an Expanda! (16 ft). We would have loved to have bought new, but budget didn't allow so we picked up a tidy little 2009 last weekend.

I'm going through the obsessive phase right now!, cleaning and detailing and writing my list of mods and to do's.

By and large the van is very tidy, I just need to polish the fibreglass abd should be looking pretty nice.

However one thing that does need addressing is that there are a bunch of rusted screws here and there around the van. E.g. the little white headed screws on the sail track and around the van ... and also some of the screws inside the press studs that the bed end privacy screens attach to.

My question is,

Rhett

Nov 1, 2013
Oops ... Question is can or should I replace these with stainless screws? I've seen differing oppinions on some forums on wether this can cause corrosive reactions with the metals on the van.

Has anyone done this on their expanda ... or is there a better option?, should I just get more of the white ones from jayco?, or strip and repaint the old ones with killrust or something?

I'm also looking to cleanup the surface rust on my axle, and leaf springs ... CLR clear?, wire brush? ... Dunno, any tips on this also greatly appreciated!

Having fun getting the van all setup and ready, wish I could take a week of to do it! Be even better when we cab get out there in it for the first time!

Cheers Rhett.

Reactions: blacky

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
Hi All!,

Just became owner of an Expanda! (16 ft). We would have loved to have bought new, but budget didn't allow so we picked up a tidy little 2009 last weekend.

I'm going through the obsessive phase right now!, cleaning and detailing and writing my list of mods and to do's.

By and large the van is very tidy, I just need to polish the fibreglass abd should be looking pretty nice.

However one thing that does need addressing is that there are a bunch of rusted screws here and there around the van. E.g. the little white headed screws on the sail track and around the van ... and also some of the screws inside the press studs that the bed end privacy screens attach to.

My question is,

?????? :cheerful:

And by the way :welcome: to the forum. :D

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
I replaced some screws with stainless on our last van. I know when I had my boat that stainless in contact with alloy was a big no no but that was in a salt atmosphere. I've been watching some of my screws getting rusty on this van and plan to change to stainless, I will push screws into cardboard and spray the heads white first!

Capt. Gadget

Obsessive & Compulsive Gadget Man
Dec 1, 2011
Busselton W.A.
bbmwa.com.au
I thought there was a thread somewhere on the forum but I can't find it maybe it was on another forum
I'm stretching the brain matter here back to when I learned all this as an apprentice but I think it goes something like when two dissimilar metals are put together and water is present the one which is less resistant to corrosion will "Sacrifice" it's self to protect the other just like how you add an anode to your hot water system to save the tank, the further apart on the scale they are the more savage the reaction, surely there will be a chart somewhere on the www

Reactions: blacky

Brad

Jan 2, 2012
Rowville, Victoria
I replaced some screws with stainless on our last van. I know when I had my boat that stainless in contact with alloy was a big no no but that was in a salt atmosphere. I've been watching some of my screws getting rusty on this van and plan to change to stainless, I will push screws into cardboard and spray the heads white first!
Interesting way to get your screws white.
I have just used one of those white textas once screwed in.

Reactions: Burnsy

Rhett

Nov 1, 2013
Thanks All!

In the end I contacted jayco technical and they advised there were no know corrosion issues with using ss screws in the van body (so why don't they use them in the first place?, to save $30 I guess?)

I got the high grade ss screws, roughed them up with sandpaper to etch them, then pushed them into cardboard (as per Burney's suggestion) and sprayed them with rust guard sls etch primer, then rustguard gloss white.

They came up a treat and I've now replaced all the rusty naff looking ones, and have a big stash of spare ones in my kit for on the road.

Looking good!

Now to get on with some proper mods!, and get out there!

Cheers Rhetty

Reactions: blacky and Burnsy