17' Series Removing external light

Brougham

May 22, 2016
Perth, WA
www.customphoto.com.au
how on earth do you get this off??? Been trying for a while now and can't work it out!!

Attachments

• IMG_4888.JPG
    IMG_4888.JPG
    792.5 KB · Views: 207

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
It's a prick of a thing , if I recall I used a scalpel to slice around the edge to cut the silastic then used a thin driver to push in the tabs which you find on either end, so holding both tabs in use your other hand to gently push/lever the mongrel thing off, 3 hands is helpful, now I think thats what I did, it was a gentle push here and there as I explored for hidden lock tabs........I was going to fit a led in it and use the power feed to supply my led strip outside but found the led was the wrong one and running a cable was not easy plastic was brittle, so just stuck it back and drilled a hole elsewhere for my led strip cable run...........
If it's a few years old just buy a better outside light and smash the damn thing off, way easier.:biggrin:
Might have done a post on it http://www.expandasdownunder.com/threads/drovers-14-44-3.4502/

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
Just hit it with a hammer to smash the lens, should find 2 screws which hold it to the wall..
I like your subtle style

Might be a subtle style but if changing the light it's not as funny as it sounds.... As @Drover said above it is a prick of a job and I ended up breaking one of the tabs (Too much pressure levering with a screwdriver). Just wanted to fit LED globe but ended up having to replace the whole light!

One word of advise.... Make sure you hold onto the wires tightly as they can drop back down inside the wall cavity at times (Luckily didn't happen to me but have heard of it happening)

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
I upgraded my outside speakers for better quality, they also have led lights in them.....so much better than the lights Jayco use. If I had my time again I wouldn't put annex lights on, just these 2 speakers!

Reactions: bigcol

Brougham

May 22, 2016
Perth, WA
www.customphoto.com.au
Our stereo only has speakers inside. Was going to install some on the outside but wanted to add separate systems so kids can listen to different stuff inside. Plus light is crap.

So picked up this when Rays were closing down WA stores a few weeks back. Normally $220, paid $100. Wish I bought more.

https://camec.com/rv-media-bluetooth-weatherproof-speakers-light.html

Reactions: bigcol and Burnsy

Vere

Oct 5, 2014
Adelaide
I am one of the many here who has installed a LED strip on the outside and almost never use the factory light. But after having some random drunk people thinking that it is funny to disturb things around the van then bang hard on the door in the middle of the night I am thinking of replacing factory light with sensor light. Just to add small bit of security

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
I am one of the many here who has installed a LED strip on the outside and almost never use the factory light. But after having some random drunk people thinking that it is funny to disturb things around the van then bang hard on the door in the middle of the night I am thinking of replacing factory light with sensor light. Just to add small bit of security
I have security sensors also but mine has four legs and a tail! :)

Reactions: Delano and bigcol

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I put a long LED strip on outside of van, way better than the original light or the awning mounted job..............my way of hinting that someone is not welcome is not PC so won't mention it.....

Reactions: bigcol and dagree

Brougham

May 22, 2016
Perth, WA
www.customphoto.com.au
Yeah I did the LED switch with remote and dimmer on our old Swan Outback, was the best mod we did.

Will be doing it to the Panda as well, this is more to get music outside as a first step and then put the strip up later

I don't have enough room between the trim strip and the fridge vent to run it all the way along so might have to do it on the roof or above the trim somehow.

Vere

Oct 5, 2014
Adelaide
I have a 16' expanda. The fridge vents are not a problem but the exhaust for the range hood feeds through a small vent which is directly under the top trim. I cut the LED strip and ran it in either direction from this vent. I removed the vent and notched the sides to allow the wires to feed inside the van and used the power from the range hood to feed the remote. Worked well and was one of best mods

Reactions: bigcol

Marv_mart

Jan 3, 2014
Adelaide
It's a prick of a thing , if I recall I used a scalpel to slice around the edge to cut the silastic then used a thin driver to push in the tabs which you find on either end, so holding both tabs in use your other hand to gently push/lever the mongrel thing off, 3 hands is helpful, now I think thats what I did, it was a gentle push here and there as I explored for hidden lock tabs........I was going to fit a led in it and use the power feed to supply my led strip outside but found the led was the wrong one and running a cable was not easy plastic was brittle, so just stuck it back and drilled a hole elsewhere for my led strip cable run...........
If it's a few years old just buy a better outside light and smash the damn thing off, way easier.:biggrin:
Might have done a post on it http://www.expandasdownunder.com/threads/drovers-14-44-3.4502/
That's what I did. I had to remove the cover so,that I could install a 12v connector for my awning LED light strip.
See my thread for that. Was very awkward but cutting the silastic carefully and then v careful levering eventually got it off.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Actually I have found that people who put music outside usually like to share it with the other campers..............................sometimes it is not classed as music by others though..................a great way to P folks off.