17' Series Recovery points

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I once thought about it but dropped the idea ........................ I had looked at fitting some standard hooks to end of chassis rail where bumper brackets fit or makng some new bumper brackets wiith 15mm plate with eyes for shackles but dropped the idea as a rear tow of van is not really a great idea with a tug on front or not, most chassis are not designed for that sort of loading, certainly not a snatch job at any time ............... a front winch job or long line drag really the only way to go....... did that with a large trailer on the beach once, used our large barbie plate as a skid on draw bar................ If you did a sling from both tow points is a must or chassis damage will happen same as with a vehicle.

Reactions: BJM and Adam Debo

BJM

Sep 29, 2018
Yamba
I once thought about it but dropped the idea ........................ I had looked at fitting some standard hooks to end of chassis rail where bumper brackets fit or makng some new bumper brackets wiith 15mm plate with eyes for shackles but dropped the idea as a rear tow of van is not really a great idea with a tug on front or not, most chassis are not designed for that sort of loading, certainly not a snatch job at any time ............... a front winch job or long line drag really the only way to go....... did that with a large trailer on the beach once, used our large barbie plate as a skid on draw bar................ If you did a sling from both tow points is a must or chassis damage will happen same as with a vehicle.
Going on the beach in any van is a quick way to destroy brake components ,ie magnets ,shoes ,etc.plus salt in the sand will corrode every chinese cad plated screw in real quick time,as for fitting recovery points a big no_Only way I would recover something like van would detach vehicle and maybe use a snatch strap on van tow hitch.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I ,mentioned to a fella up here if he turns off or disconnects his van brakes when he goes to Teewah Beach, a blank look and why ??? was his answer and still a blank look when I told him about sand in his drums is far worse than outback dust............. that was before I just turn away from them now..................... rust is bad enough just living near the coast

Last edited: