16' Series Recent Trip Highlights

Hi All, Just back from 2 weeks away mostly free camping, firstly on the Murray River at Yarrawonga then an overnight at Daylesford Caravan park then 5 nights at Mount Franklin.

We've only had the van (a 2008 Bunk version) since mid-November so mods have been very few. Our last van was a 1987 Swan Camper, so we are feeling the luxury! I tow it with my 2006 V6 Discovery Petrol :( which is also pretty standard as it has 180k's and I'm looking to get into a diesel later this year.

We arrived at Yarrawonga on Sat 22nd December hoping to bet the crowds and did so. Got a great spot within 50 metres on the river in the shade. On previous trips there didn't have a toilet or shower (now have them in a tent outside) and make the stay mush more enjoyable.

Here's a couple of Pics:
IMG_3041.JPGIMG_3037.JPGIMG_3030.JPG

We then headed down to Daylesford for a real shower, charge the batteries, fill the tanks etc. at the Daylesford Caravan Park. After one night headed out to Mount Franklin camp ground which was a delight. lots of room, drop toilets but no water.

Here's a couple of Pics:
IMG_3085.JPGIMG_3084.JPGIMG_3081.JPG

Learnings from our first extended? trip away:
1. Should have got an Outback
2. Would like more water storage
3. Need to fit water pump
4. Need portable Solar panels
5. Need an Engel

Otherwise a great trip was had by all and cant wait for our next trip.

Cheer
Jon

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
Thanks for the report Jon
Why do you need the engel?
You can never have too much water storage. We run out very quickly. Just keep an eye on your ATM if adding another tank. We carry a couple of 20L jerry cans for water in the ute.

Reactions: Jonathan Roberts
The fridge inside managed most of the food, even though its the small one, we used an esky for the drinks and the ice only lasted two days at most. Although Block ice lasted longer. I'd sit the Engel in the annex and be confident that whenever the boss needed a wine or I wanted some ice for the scotch we'd be covered :).

We carried 20 ltrs of water for the shower and refilled from the Murray but would prefer another 80ltr tank on board.

Brad

Jan 2, 2012
Rowville, Victoria
Sounds like you had a nice time Jon.
Good choice of areas to visit also.

Yeah the engel makes a great drinks fridge. Stops the constant opening of the main fridge also.

mrhappi

Oct 24, 2012
Ipswich
Hi John,

Nice report. I have a similar van and like you wish there was more water storage. With a family of 6, it really is going to prove to be the barrier to free camping for extended periods.

(Anyone know how you can check the size of the installed water tank? Last time we free camped water lasted two days, and that was just on showers and washing up)

We must think alike mate, because water pump will be the next mod for me; I've bought a solar panel - if you're after a recommendation I can't fault this one.
Also picked up an Engel MR40F for $699, used it for the first time last week and it was brilliant. So much better than the 3 way. I'm contemplating getting a second to use as a Freezer.

Thanks Mr Happi,
will look at both options for solar and fridge.
Re water, think the van carries 80 ltrs as standard, I'm thinking of adding another 80ltr tank. I recon having plenty of water makes for a low stress time away. Keen Tom add another battery and converter to power the mod cons.
Currently at Mt Frankiln with some friends, plus about 500 other campers, not happy when some are so inconsiderate of others :-(
Cheers
Jon

Xpandafan

Seriously Likeable!
Aug 24, 2012
Kealba, Victoria
Hi Jon. Go the extra water tank. With family, however water conscious, 80ltrs doesn't go far.
And at least put a good filter on your drinking water hose so it's all potable. Solar (portable or fixed) and second battery makes for as close to self-sufficient as most people need. With twin 8kg gas bottles + 4kg for the BabyQ we can go 20 days except for water. 190ltrs = 8-10 days at most. Anywhere with shower/dishwashing suitable water supply however and we can push that out much more.

Lara

Jan 23, 2013
Manly NSW
Hi John,

Nice report. I have a similar van and like you wish there was more water storage. With a family of 6, it really is going to prove to be the barrier to free camping for extended periods.

(Anyone know how you can check the size of the installed water tank? Last time we free camped water lasted two days, and that was just on showers and washing up)

We must think alike mate, because water pump will be the next mod for me; I've bought a solar panel - if you're after a recommendation I can't fault this one.

Also picked up an Engel MR40F for $699, used it for the first time last week and it was brilliant. So much better than the 3 way. I'm contemplating getting a second to use as a Freezer.

We have the 65L Primus Dual Zone fridge freezer and Love it. Bought it from Tentworld in December and can't fault it. They normally retail for around $1600 but you can get it from Tentworld for $1099 and freight was a bargain $10.
The left side holds 39L and the right side holds 26L.
The best part of this Dual zone is it's multi Function. You can either use as fridge and freezer, or set both side to fridge or both sides to freezer. When you're getting to the end of a trip and don't need both sides running you can switch one side off.
It also has digital control panel with temp control so you know exactly what temp your at, no guessing.
http://www.tentworld.com.au/products/fridge/item/Primus-Mammoth-65L-Dual-Zone-Fridge-Freezer.aspx

Antman

Jul 18, 2012
Brisbane
almcrae.blogspot.com.au
Hey Jon and Welcome :welcome:

Looks very nice where you stayed. :) It doesn't take too long to realise what you need or more importantly what you want! hehe.

We have an engel fridge already. Love it. It takes all the extra food / drinks that we need whilst away but more importantly we use it if we trip away for the day from the van. I have a hot wire to the second battery in my car which runs the engel at all times. The battery is isolated away from the start battery also. The battery that runs the fridge is a 1000cca or about 140AH and will run the engel for about 4 / 5 days without running the car. Whilst stopped with the van and if on power, we will plug the engel into the van. :)

Enjoy your future trips and mods. I look forward to reading about your trips.
Ants