17' Series Quicker way to operate drop down legs?

Hubble80

Nov 22, 2012
Moranbah, QLD
Guys I am wondering if anyone has a better/quicker way to wind down the stabilising legs on the Expandas.

I am thinking of either a cordless wrench or drill and trying to get a 1/2" drive to fit into the chuck. What I have found is the handle is VERY long and if you park close to anything at times you cannot get the handle on the nut to turn it. And as you are bending over for doing all four there has to be something quicker out there.

Be interested to see pics of what people have.

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
It's on my list to cut my handle length in half......had to ask someone to move their car once! Cordless drill is popular but I'd prefer the exercise at this stage.....maybe when I'm a senior I'll go the cordless drill :crutch::biggrin:

Reactions: Wanda

Capt. Gadget

Obsessive & Compulsive Gadget Man
Dec 1, 2011
Busselton W.A.
bbmwa.com.au
image.jpg image.jpg Most hardware stores have them for around $ 10-12 I have a few different sizes . Just be aware of all the grief you will get from your mates when using the cordless drill though ......until they want to borrow it ;)

hamish22

May 12, 2013
West of Newcastle
www.grmotorsport.com.au
Had the issue the other weekend couldn't get winder onto hex due to the ensuite being to close on one side.
Had to borrow a smaller one and it was a little embarrasing after pulling up in a new van with all the equipment! (well apparantly not all the equipment).

Dove

Aug 14, 2013
Melb, Vic.
I had the same problem when I got the new StarCraft home last week. Very long wind down handle and van within a couple of feet of the side fence. I went to Supercheap the next morning purchased a 3/4 hex socket, 150 mm extension, and a small ratchet handle. Problem fixed.

Handle although short does the job easily. Ratchet setting one way to wind down, and flick it across to wind up. I'm not interested in electric drills. Just more complicated stuff to carry and keep charged. Also I need the exercise too.

TTBRIDGE

Mar 12, 2013
Brisbane - Northside (North Lakes)
I use a 1/2 drive in a 19mm socket as Captain gadget has in his photo. Then in the battery drill, in fact i put the jack down and my 3 year old winds them down for me, when the clutch comes in he stops and goes to the next one.

Very painless for me, he loves it as it give him something to do and he loves drills.

Reactions: Soaring

Hubble80

Nov 22, 2012
Moranbah, QLD
You guys have made my mind up! @DRW , I admire your style with the stubby!!! Absolute necessity for setting up the van!

@Capt. Gadget just wondering if you have broken any of those adaptor bits. The one I found a link for was a 1/2" hex drive where that one looks like 3/8"?

Deano

Aug 10, 2011
Bargara, Qld
Yep cordless with attachment and socket is the way to go. Got the idea off @crystal674
and Aaron.
9 year old does it most times if he not buried in his PSP.

Xpandafan

Seriously Likeable!
Aug 24, 2012
Kealba, Victoria
Special pegs????
Yep. They look just like large coach screws to the uninitiated. Screw in and importantly screw out. Use the steel angle brackets and S hooks (and rubber rings) to nail everything down (awning and privacy screens). Mrs XF can use easily as well.
All tidy in a tool box which comes out on arrival. Power down the stabilizers then just swap the socket for peg size. Sockets are Dymo labelled to make it even easier.
More details at
Xpandafan's 18.57-7 - the learning curve.
Discussion in 'My Jayco' started by Xpandafan, Aug 24, 2012.

Last edited: