Query hiring van!

Stan Lee

Aug 29, 2012
rAdelaide
www.expandasdownunder.com
Hi guys

just wondering if any off u guys hire your vans out??

i was just thinking y not try get some benefit out of it rather than the van sitting idle in a driveway. I'd be interested to chat to any who does do it!

greynt

Dec 15, 2012
Yarra Valley
G'day Stan Lee, depending on where you are situated I'm sure that there is hire place. Where I live in eastern suburbs of Melbourne there is a mob in Bayswater Nth, Eastern Caravan hire (tel:0400 679 744) and they have a few different pandas and other Jayco vans for use. Have been told they are good to deal with and reasonable prices as well.
Cheers
greynt

Reactions: Stan Lee

Stan Lee

Aug 29, 2012
rAdelaide
www.expandasdownunder.com
Yeah cheers mate i was thinking more like hiring my panda out for those short term local type hires. Im just trying to get some benefit out of it i guess! Even if its just some pocket money to cover running costs etc. probably like having a rental property but on wheels! ;)

icetechaus

Nov 21, 2012
Have a look at http://www.privatecaravanhire.com.au/ . They deal with exactly what you are talking about and could answer most of your questions. I've lent mine to a neighbour and it was a nerve wracking experience waiting for the panda to come. Needless to say everything was fine.

Lara

Jan 23, 2013
Manly NSW
I can see the appeal for a little extra cash in the hip pocket, but most people who hire a van have probably never owned or even towed a caravan before, which would make me more than a little nervous. And as andrea said, check with your insurer first, because hiring your Expanda out turns it into a business/commercial Expanda which may also increase your insurance costs.
The other problem you'll come up against is that most potential hirers probably won't have electric brakes fitted either, and no electric brakes means no hire!

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
I would never hire mine out. For me, It's just not worth damaging it for a couple of extra $$$.

As mentioned in other posts, insurance is also a consideration. I think you will find that you will need a special, high cost cover if you are going to hire out.

Capt. Gadget

Obsessive & Compulsive Gadget Man
Dec 1, 2011
Busselton W.A.
bbmwa.com.au
I wouldn't hire ours out either

Excerpt from CIL PDS
What we do not cover
We will not pay for:
loss of or damage to your caravan if at the time of the loss or damage you have hired out your caravan for reward if you have not selected the optional cover of “Hire Use” shown in Section 5 - Optional Covers and this is not shown in your schedule.

Ligedy

Oct 13, 2012
Mackay
I was going to hire an expanda from here before purchasing my own. http://www.2easycampertrailerhire.com.au/

I didn't get around to it but they were very helpful when I enquired. The website has the T&C's for hire that you can download. I had the bright idea of trying to make money and off setting the purchase with an expanda rental business too. Lucky for the Mrs I didn't have the space or time to manage it...

Now I would never hire mine out either and as others have said insurance and rego cost will go up as would maintenance and repair costs... New van warranty is also reduced when its used for commercial purposes.

For what it's worth - you can get remote / RF brake controllers, Tekonsha make one, some rental trailers are fitted with these.

Soaring

Jan 30, 2013
Melbourne - Eltham
I was going to hire an expanda from here before purchasing my own. http://www.2easycampertrailerhire.com.au/

I didn't get around to it but they were very helpful when I enquired. The website has the T&C's for hire that you can download. I had the bright idea of trying to make money and off setting the purchase with an expanda rental business too. Lucky for the Mrs I didn't have the space or time to manage it...

Now I would never hire mine out either and as others have said insurance and rego cost will go up as would maintenance and repair costs... New van warranty is also reduced when its used for commercial purposes.

For what it's worth - you can get remote / RF brake controllers, Tekonsha make one, some rental trailers are fitted with these.
Hi Ligedy,
Any more info on these remote controllers. I've searched but can't seem to find anything in Aust, only the US.
I turn over my company car every 6 months, so this would be a great solution for me.

Ligedy

Oct 13, 2012
Mackay
I wish I got a new car every 6 months ;)

But sorry mate - I can't be 100% sure what'd breed it was that I've used Soaring :(

I helped a mate out recovering his 4by a year or two or so ago - he rented a heavy duty car trailer from a mob Brisbane and we used my tug to tow it. I'm not from down that way so I've go no idea and can't remember where abouts it was or what the name of the hire mob was called.

When we set off I wasn't too easy relying on a black box plugged in the cigarette lighter to work the trailer brakes with a 2.5t - 3t load on the back... but with all worked fine.

It looked like and the setup was the same as the Tekonsha pictured on the net - module plugged into the cigy lighter socket and the trailer unit apparently picked up the signal off the brake lights thorugh the trailer plug (that was about the only question I asked at the time - How does it work...).

If an Australian distributor can't get one it try good old ebay and buy one from the states.

Cheers

Soaring

Jan 30, 2013
Melbourne - Eltham
Cheers Ligedy,
From my understanding, it hasn't been approved for Aust use. Something to do with transmitting devicve regulations. I was hoping they had finally pulled their finger out and got around to it.
I know some guys are running them, but like anything else, insurance could potentially be an issue if something went wrong.

I do love the new car every six months thing, and the controller is a small inconvenience in comparison, but I pretty much get the same car each time. I just change the colour so the neighbours know I've got a new one!;)

Reactions: Xpandafan and Lara