Swan Purchsed a new Swan at the show

fugs291

Apr 22, 2013
Western Sydney
Hi we have just purchsed a new Swan at the show on Sunday and part of the deal included the solar park as a show promo. We are unsure weather we should have this fitted? What do people think it also came with the life stlye pack, we also had an external tap fitted to the A-frame, 2 innerspring mattress shelves to robe bag awning and walls bed flys should we consider anything else also.

Thanks Jason

Xpandafan

Seriously Likeable!
Aug 24, 2012
Kealba, Victoria
Yep solar and a battery gives you real freedom to use an unpowered site when parks are otherwise full or to try free camping even if it's not on your immediate plans. Do it now and it's there when you need it.
You'll love your Swan (we did for 25 years and then got $5k tradein). One addition I'm keen on is the Aussie Mate awning on the kitchen sink side. $650 when I last looked but great idea that works a treat.
imagejpeg

Reactions: bigcol

Stan53

May 27, 2012
Melbourne, Victoria
Sounds as though you have it covered Jason. The only thing I would change is the bed flys. They are easy to put up but a nightmare to put down. They are enough to put me off camping with my Swift. I am considering an awning similar to the ones you see on 4Wd's. In fact I am going to see about a couple of the side awnings next week and if I can I'll fit them and give them a test run late next week or early the next.

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
to quote Xpandafan :- One addition I'm keen on is the Aussie Mate awning on the kitchen sink side. $650 when I last looked but great idea that works a treat.

I second this motion, as I have a full length awning on the kitchen side of my Flamingo
I can have it fully out as extra shade if required, I can have it out a small amount for airflow in bad weather and drop it down, and tie it to the draw bar and rear bumper at night (which also give good rigidity in windy places)
trying to find pictures of the different setups

cheers

Reactions: Xpandafan

Mish

Feb 9, 2014
cookamidgera nr Parkes
Hi all I am new to the forum so please excuse if I am posting in the wrong section, We have a new swan, and are having issues with putting the top down, any tips on how to get it down easier ? is it just a case of doing a better job with the canvas ? also it has to go back to the dealer as the top section of the door has spat the window bit out any one else had this problem :) ?

Reactions: blacky

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
with the top of our door - when putting away - we found that by getting one of those $2.00 straps and tying it up before hooking up to the roof always worked
$T2eC16VHJGgFFmznynkeBR1j%21qsYKw%7E%7E60_12.jpg
held the outer edges and the center together in an easy unit to hook up and put away

as for folding the canvas - great fun
you can leave the sheets on if you want - but not your doona or pillows
the bed ends, I used to drop the hockey stick, and pull the outside corners into the middle, then undo the velcro underneath and tuck the sides in, then push he bed in, as your pushing the bed, just make sure it folds in towards the middle and as far into the van as you can
(some one small inside pulling the canvas also works :) )
try to get the canvas to sit as much as possible in the center
then
when winding it down, go half way - make sure the sides are folding inward (quick wander around van easy) then continue until about 5 or 6" to go, and again, wander around poking with your hand any canvas not sitting right.
the corners are the hardest to master - make sure your curtains are in the middle, and try and get as much of the canvas to sit close to the middle when putting down.

you will notice - there is more room in the middle than the sides (bowed roof line)

takes practice, and more practice (good excuse to go away on the weekends)

I watched a Truckkie trying to fold one like a Tarp - undo the beds - push in then fold canvas like a postage stamp - to each their own

you have to work out what works for you - and is easy enough - not stressful.

cheers

Stan53

May 27, 2012
Melbourne, Victoria
Hello Mish and welcome to the forum. It is a good place to be with lots of tips and stuff.
With your canvas. Take it s l o w l y. Very slowly. Don't rush it. Be careful to fold the canvas as best you can. Also as you wind the top down, keep pushing the canvas into the centre. So, down a bit, run round and push walls into centre a bit, then wind down a bit, run round and push canvas in. You may find you need to wind the top up just a wee bit at the end, run round and push the canvas in one last time. If there is still a bit of a problem, run round each corner of the roof and give it a shove down. Nothing like a bit of brute force and ignorance.
Also check the clips. There are an adjustable screw thingy. Least ways they are on my Swift. If they are screw up too much then it may cause a problem.
Also, remember, as the canvas ages, it gets more pliable and easier to work with.
Finally, see you at Cameron's Corner 1st October this year.

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
just remember, if you replace the foam matrices with an innerspring ones (like I did)
you will need to adjust the turn buckle part of the clips

cheers

Stan53

May 27, 2012
Melbourne, Victoria
G'day Mish. I put my Swift up this afternoon and packed it up again. Just a couple of extra things. When I pack mine up, I go inside first and collapse the frame that hold up the bed canvas. At the same time, I pull down on to the bed the canvas roof and walls. I lay them carefully onto the bed.
If yours is like mine, the outside of the walls is held under the bed with Velcro. I fold that UNDER the mattress. I find that by doing that the canvas tends to stay neat and tidy. I try to keep the edges of the canvas, where it folds under the farm on to the velcro, under the outer edge of the matress.
The next time I do mine I will take some step by step photos. It will make it clearer.

Reactions: Mish