Preferred battery - Solar

robertmasters

Sep 17, 2020
Texas
What is your preferred battery type and brand for an RV with a solar system installed? The crap battery that came with the RV started to lose capacity and then began emitting awful smelling gas at 1 year old. Battery has since been disconnected and removed. (Stored RV with the battery disconnect switch engaged)

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland
What is your preferred battery type and brand for an RV with a solar system installed? The crap battery that came with the RV started to lose capacity and then began emitting awful smelling gas at 1 year old. Battery has since been disconnected and removed. (Stored RV with the battery disconnect switch engaged)
Sorry to hear about your "early" battery failure @robertmasters. From what you say that battery is only 1 year old, I do not think it is a battery failure, more likely a discharge/charging problem with the electrics. ANY reasonable AGM battery should do better than that. Before stuffing up another battery, check that all electrical connections are correct, that there is no possibility that a switch for lights, radio etc has failed and has been continuously discharging your battery. Also, check that your solar charging system is working correctly and that the controller has the correct settings for charging voltage and float voltage if available. Most AGMs can even handle 12 months in storage without a charge and still recover if charged properly, although much, much better to charge regularly every 3 months at least. What sort of charging system are you using? What type of battery and capacity is it and what have you been running off the battery and for how long?? Yes, some batteries may fail early, but I believe it to be a very rare occurrence. Please provide more info and pictures to assist you further.
Definitely prefer to use an AGM battery of at least 120 to 130ah as per links.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Hi @Drover , I don't think it was me posting anything about batteries recently. I think the last time we discussed batteries was sometime last year. @robertmasters is a new member I think and this is his first post??

Nah I was meaning from the OP in this thread https://expandasdownunder.com/threads/how-hot-are-your-coach-batterys.12983/

some more info needed Robert, @robertmasters so we can give you a good rundown on things, converted to your language as well if we can....lol,lol,lol.....

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland
Reactions: Drover