17' Series Prado owners towing 17.56-2 Outback

AmandaJ

Jun 21, 2016
South Australia
We have a Prado are looking at purchasing a new 17.56-2 outback. The Jayco dealers we have spoken to are willing to redo to compliance plate to show 2500kg ATM which I believe covers us from an insurance point of view

I was hoping to get feedback from any Prado owners that are currently towing a 2014 or later 17.56-2 outback on how they are finding them to tow and whether managing the weight to remain under the 2500kg is an issue

Thanks in advance

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
@AmandaJ we have a 2014 17.56-2 OB but was built on a 2013 chassis with solid axle suspension (Not Jtech independent suspension).
Tare weight is 1958KGs and ATM is 2433KGs so just under the limit of the Prado. Independent suspension adds a few 100 kilos to the van.

I would be weary of getting the ATM dropped to 2500KGs if you get a new van as that will limit the payload you can add..... This includes extra water, clothes, toys, beer, food, gas, wine, etc, etc, etc... OH did I mention beer also ;)

As for managing weight and towing....
The Prado tows it OK but does feel it on hills. (I miss my V8 cruiser but not the fuel bill ;) )
First thing I'd suggest is a WDH System if your suspension is OK.
Due to the setup of our van we can't use WDH but I did upgrade the suspension to heavy duty with air bags.... With the airbags pumped up to 26psi the van and Prado sit level and tows great!

FiveInAVan

Sep 17, 2015
Brisbane, QLD
We ended up getting a Starcraft 17.58.3 after initially wanting a 17.56.2. We have a Prado and the weights were a concern. Don't forget that any extras (options) you add will also increase your weights. What will happen if you end up with a 2.5t plate but no weight to add to it as your tare is close to it without adding anything. I'd be very cautious. And prepared to change your tow vehicle.....

AmandaJ

Jun 21, 2016
South Australia
@AmandaJ we have a 2014 17.56-2 OB but was built on a 2013 chassis with solid axle suspension (Not Jtech independent suspension).
Tare weight is 1958KGs and ATM is 2433KGs so just under the limit of the Prado. Independent suspension adds a few 100 kilos to the van.

I would be weary of getting the ATM dropped to 2500KGs if you get a new van as that will limit the payload you can add..... This includes extra water, clothes, toys, beer, food, gas, wine, etc, etc, etc... OH did I mention beer also ;)

As for managing weight and towing....
The Prado tows it OK but does feel it on hills. (I miss my V8 cruiser but not the fuel bill ;) )
First thing I'd suggest is a WDH System if your suspension is OK.
Due to the setup of our van we can't use WDH but I did upgrade the suspension to heavy duty with air bags.... With the airbags pumped up to 26psi the van and Prado sit level and tows great!

Thanks, yes the WDH is already on the list. Your set up sounds perfect really newer model with the older susupension, bet there's not many of those kicking around

Reactions: dagree and bigcol

AmandaJ

Jun 21, 2016
South Australia
We ended up getting a Starcraft 17.58.3 after initially wanting a 17.56.2. We have a Prado and the weights were a concern. Don't forget that any extras (options) you add will also increase your weights. What will happen if you end up with a 2.5t plate but no weight to add to it as your tare is close to it without adding anything. I'd be very cautious. And prepared to change your tow vehicle.....
Thanks I'll have a look at the Starcraft as well

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
Australia
We have a Prado are looking at purchasing a new 17.56-2 outback. The Jayco dealers we have spoken to are willing to redo to compliance plate to show 2500kg ATM which I believe covers us from an insurance point of view

I was hoping to get feedback from any Prado owners that are currently towing a 2014 or later 17.56-2 outback on how they are finding them to tow and whether managing the weight to remain under the 2500kg is an issue

Thanks in advance
Good luck mine is heavy on the ball 270 to 280 but i have extended draw bar and van is over 2500 most of the time empty its fine but with just water full its over so yes the plate may say 2500 but in my opinion it will be over that once loaded up mine is closer to 27 than it is to 25 i wanted to keep towing with prado but i now have a cruiser as well for towing because of insurance but in saying that the prado allways towed it easy and very well i may sell the cruiser one day because of money issues and will have to go back to towing illegal with prado

Reactions: AmandaJ

AmandaJ

Jun 21, 2016
South Australia
You would need air bags and if you havent changed your springs do that to just normal pedders ones are fine dont need to lift car but there stronger than toyota ones
Thanks, I think we need to have a good think about this, may just not be worth the extra worry - a 2013 may be the better way to go, even if it's not as new and shiny :) wish you could order them with the 2013 OB suspension still

Reactions: Bluey
Apr 6, 2015
mt barker sa
I have a 2014 150 series prado D4D and a 2012 17.56-2 OB. Prado tows it easy and can pull alot more than the 2.5t on the plate. But for insurence id becareful with weights. I know in queensland people have been getting pulled over and having weights checked. I live in SA and have never seen a roadside weigh blits. But my van is only 2350kgs. I use a WDH but the back of the car does sag a little with the standard springs. I will be getting a new set when i get back home.

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
Thanks, I think we need to have a good think about this, may just not be worth the extra worry - a 2013 may be the better way to go, even if it's not as new and shiny :) wish you could order them with the 2013 OB suspension still

thats one of the eternal problems we all have

its a heck of a lot of money invested in our Vans and the Want V's Need V's Require is a bad place to get bogged down on

yes the Prado can to it
No it cannot do it legally

2 choices
back pedal in years to get the Van that suits you and what you can tow
or
spend up BIG on a new Van and New Tow Vehicle

AmandaJ

Jun 21, 2016
South Australia
Thanks everyone, I think new suspension either way has been added to "the list", along with all the rest of the things that I haven't been told about from the SO already... But I think I am leaning towards the 2013 OB model now (unless I can convince the husband that we don't really need the OB version, because weight is no longer an issue then ) as we love our Prado (2012 Altitude) and not ready to give it up just yet... Now let's just hope one comes up soon in SA/Vic as we have a trip to QLD to go on in September!

WHHEMI

Jan 18, 2016
Yarra Valley
When we ordered our Journey last year we had the option of ordering a touring model with the axles underslung for extra clearance, it was a lot lighter than the OB. Is this an option for you.

AmandaJ

Jun 21, 2016
South Australia
When we ordered our Journey last year we had the option of ordering a touring model with the axles underslung for extra clearance, it was a lot lighter than the OB. Is this an option for you.
Can you get it under slung after its left the factory? What cost would I be looking at there?

Reactions: WHHEMI

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
Yes, you can

Around the $300 mark last time I checked.
(We had a swan Underslung years ago and it was done easily by a local caravan guy....it's quite common, surprisingly.)

Reactions: AmandaJ