17' Series Power from tow vehicle

BLJM

Nov 7, 2013
chirnside park
Need some advise. I've just wired the power and earth cable(6mm) from car battery to number 9 and 10 pins in the trailer plug so I can run fridge whilst driving.
The fridge is so bloody quite when it's on and has no light when you open door so I'm not sure if it's working through the trailer plug or not.
I don't have a tester to check my wiring job,pretty confidant though. Should the lights inside work as well as the fridge and breakaway charging?
Hope that all made sense and some one can help out.
Cheers

Reactions: jdove

Brad

Jan 2, 2012
Rowville, Victoria
I have always thought that running the fridge from battery will only ever maintain temperature.
It won't reduce it very fast at all. So without a multimeter it is going to be difficult.

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
Besy way to test the fridge is open the rear vent and put a multimeter on the 12volt connectors. They should be clearly marked. Make sure 240v is unplugged from the van so you dont fry yourself

Reactions: jed

BLJM

Nov 7, 2013
chirnside park
Thanks relegate will try that. I checked for power out the back of trailer plug and it's all sweet but still no lights inside van. Maybe the battery switch does have to be on so van uses van battery and car battery charges it while drivi?

DroversDog

Sep 8, 2013
Brisbane
Need some advise. I've just wired the power and earth cable(6mm) from car battery to number 9 and 10 pins in the trailer plug so I can run fridge whilst driving.
The fridge is so bloody quite when it's on and has no light when you open door so I'm not sure if it's working through the trailer plug or not.
I don't have a tester to check my wiring job,pretty confidant though. Should the lights inside work as well as the fridge and breakaway charging?
Hope that all made sense and some one can help out.
Cheers

You have wired correctly to run the fridge while you're driving but the fridge wiring is totally indepedent of the 12V wiring in your van, so the van lights will not run off your car battery. To do this, you will have to run separate wires from your car battery to your van via the trailer plug. There are two ways of doing this depending whether your van has its own battery and/or a brakesafe unit.

By the way, did you run the fridge wires via an ignition relay so you don't flatten your car battery while it's parked with the van connected?

BLJM

Nov 7, 2013
chirnside park
You have wired correctly to run the fridge while you're driving but the fridge wiring is totally indepedent of the 12V wiring in your van, so the van lights will not run off your car battery. To do this, you will have to run separate wires from your car battery to your van via the trailer plug. There are two ways of doing this depending whether your van has its own battery and/or a brakesafe unit.

By the way, did you run the fridge wires via an ignition relay so you don't flatten your car battery while it's parked with the van connected?

I just ran fused wires straight from battery as my auto elec skills don't go that far and plan on pulling plug for long stops, ha famous last words. Lights in van don't bother me as we have battery and solar just thought that would've told me if wired right or not.
Thanks for feed back

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW

Exactly, the fridge and van battery (if installed) are independent and are on separate pins on the trailer plug

blacky

Sep 17, 2013
Townsville QLD
Can anyone tell me which pin is for 12v auxillary power (charging 12v while travelling)? I ran my old 6mm anderson wiring from the camper trailer days into pins 9 & 10 to run the fridge, and although we have solar i would love to have alternator power trickling in also. So, which pin does anyone know?

Also, probably a stupid question, i havn't really looked yet, but when i changed over to the 12 pin from 7, i noticed the genuine toyota bar and plug loom had a blue wire into pin no.5 for electric brakes. However, as the prado has no controller installed yet, where does the other end of the blue wire originate?

Cheers :)

Chris Higgins

Oct 18, 2013
Perth WA
Sorry to waffle on but this is as short as I could to explain it :p

Vehicle battery to van battery / fridge would usually be 4mtrs or more of cable length. Over this distance cable size and voltage drop becomes a very important factor. Without doing all the calculations I can tell you my previous van (we won’t mention the brand) using what is commonly referred to as 50amp cable (big stuff)I could only just get the correct voltage to the fridge to run it. The other big factor is the fridge will pull 12–16 amps constant… this is a BIG load when constant. Travel for 4 hours with fridge on 12v that is 4 X 13amps = 52amps used. That’s a lot of power.

Let’s start with Voltage drop, if you want to see this effect then while connected to the car, connect a volt meter to the fridge terminals behind vent(fridge off) if you’re lucky it will read 12V or more BUT, its most likely voltage drop will already be at play and you will get <11.5.

Now turn on the fridge and watch the proverbial backside drop out of the voltage to well below 11V. You may even find that the wire starts to noticeably warm up…

If you expect to do ANY charging to a battery this voltage must be 13V+ to charge or 12.5V to maintain, while the fridge is ON. Anything below these figures is a draw not a charge. Sorry these are the facts.

Unless you prepare for this, connecting your house battery (van) to this cable will only serve to flatten your house battery.

Let’s go back to the usage of the fridge for 4 hours travel, 52amps. Most house batteries will be around 100amp hr. and shouldn’t be drawn below 50% without damaging the battery. Do the math….we is losing the battle here :p

This is why the manufacturers wire the fridge separately. MOST vehicles can only JUST run fridge, if that.

IN short don’t do it !! Sounds like a great idea but it is MOST likely going to cause headaches. If you still want to proceed then read on.

If you have a solar system that is correctly installed then you don’t need power from your car to charge house batteries, the solar should look after it. If not or you wish to assist this charging method then you need to buy a dc to dc charger. This will bump the voltage up for vehicle so as to be an effective charge to house batteries and not a drain.

With either of the above unless you understand what is happening here I again strongly suggest you DON’T connect your fridge to your house battery. I did it, undid it, re did it, re re did it….. and learnt a lot about the real world and how to survive a bush camp with no power. :p

ON my latest van Expanda 20.63.1OB I have installed a 320W solar with 30amp charger. This system does produce (in full flight, 10am-3pm, full sun) 14.5 amps of charge. The fridge when on 12v draws 15 amps even.

I have connected the fridge to the house battery BUT it has a Low Voltage Disconnect (LVD) on this line. SO if the fridge starts to draw too much from the house battery it will disconnect to protect the house system. This line is supplemented by the “hot wire” from the car but this only assists house battery to run the fridge while traveling or on LVD will only run the fridge, best it can. I don’t get or expect the car (hot wire) to do any charging, it won’t happen, that’s the solars job.

BUT to finish the easiest way to ensure happy camping is to NOT connect the ‘hot wire’ for van fridge to the house battery system. If you want to charge your house system install a solar panel(s).

Happy Camping :p

Reactions: blacky

blacky

Sep 17, 2013
Townsville QLD
By the way @dagree you're a bloody life saver mate! My blue wire was right there, just like you said. I bought a redarc brake controller kit off ebay, and it came with heavy twin core, so i even tapped into my brake switched power (at brake light) to signal the controller from in there :) much easier than soldering under dash in the circuit :p

So, thanks buddy!