16' Series Please help

Totts

Jan 13, 2021
Sydney
Hi All,
I have lost power for the 2nd time whilst at a caravan park.
First time was at a different caravan park to one I'm at now. Both times happening was about 2 weeks of staying at the park.
After the first time happening I took the caravan home and plugged it into home tried everything the caravan worked again. Just to make sure nothing was wrong I took it to a caravan repairer who had an electrician go over it and telll me nothing is wrong with my caravan. Well it happened again 2 weeks into my stay again no power. Please help I'm lost and dont want it to happen a 3rd time. Has anyone had an experience like this??

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
G’day @Totts and welcome to the forum. When you say you “lost power” do you mean the 240 went off so no microwave or air con or was it your 12 v so no lights etc? Did it trip your RCD in the van or the park circuit breaker? What did you do to fix it first time or did you just give up and go home? We have some great brains trust here to help but more info is needed.

Totts

Jan 13, 2021
Sydney
The power tripped at the park. I put theres back on then it tripped mine I'm running on battery I have no air con microwave. The first time I ran on battery after it happened only lights working. The park this time got an electrician out to check he said its my van as he checked the parks power supply. It was working fine now I have nothing. He said I would need an auto electrician to go over it.

The first time after holiday I went home I called a caravan place who told me to connect it to my home power and started the elimination process but everything worked fine. I took it to the caravan place who got an electrician who said nothing is wrong with it.

This time was working fine until 2 weeks of holiday its happened again it has to be my van as I'm at a different park this time.

KECL

Aug 16, 2016
Secret Harbour WA
As @ Chartrock mentions more info would be good. Since you have had the van checked out by an electrician I assume nothing would be plugged into the 240V outlets so I would start with your 'portable' appliances eg. kettle, coffee machine, toaster etc. Try them in your home to ensure they are not the cause.

Reactions: Boots in Action

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland
G’day @Totts and welcome to the forum. When you say you “lost power” do you mean the 240 went off so no microwave or air con or was it your 12 v so no lights etc? Did it trip your RCD in the van or the park circuit breaker? What did you do to fix it first time or did you just give up and go home? We have some great brains trust here to help but more info is needed.
Hi @tott, @chartrock has already given you some idea of what has happened and what to do. It is most likely that you have overloaded the power/light circuit at the van connection point for park power, as they are only rated to 15 amps, the same as your extension lead. As you have had the electricals in the van checked and no fault found, it is most likely a power overload which is easily done if you have the aircon on and any other heavy electrical load.... eg toaster, electric jug or electric kettle or electric frypan at the same time. Any two of those appliances is likely to exceed 15 Amps as most are rated at 2000 watts or 10 amps EACH, and that is without anything else including aircon. Don't think you are alone in this happening. It happened twice with my Daughter when we were holidaying together just 3 weeks ago. She had a frypan on, and an electric jug and was trying the toaster as well I think. Aircon was not on at that time. No need to panic - just go to the power box and reset the switch. AND MAKE SURE YOU TURN ONE OF THE APPLIANCES OFF, and don't try to run too many appliances at the one time. Good luck, and welcome to the forum!!
Note:: If not that problem, it will be a fault in one of the electrical appliances in use AT THAT TIME. Check if RCD switch in van has been tripped also.

Last edited:

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
#1. Im with Boots the big users of power AC, Jug, Toaster, HWS, Heater, micro wave and Hair Dryer to be safe only run 2 at any one time, 3 can sometimes be pushing your luck as park wiring isnt up to it...like showgrounds 2 toasters on and blackout.
#2. Depending how the park circuit is done some other van can trip it for a few.
#3. Sparky should have ticked off points and appliances in van ...
#4 always have a look at the pins on your lead to see if cooked.

Reactions: Boots in Action

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland
#1. Im with Boots the big users of power AC, Jug, Toaster, HWS, Heater, micro wave and Hair Dryer to be safe only run 2 at any one time, 3 can sometimes be pushing your luck as park wiring isnt up to it...like showgrounds 2 toasters on and blackout.
#2. Depending how the park circuit is done some other van can trip it for a few.
#3. Sparky should have ticked off points and appliances in van ...
#4 always have a look at the pins on your lead to see if cooked.
Yes @Drover, your #2 suggestion actually happened at Poona whilst we were there. Person two up from us in large motor home with everything that opens and shuts had some appliances on and when she turned on A/C, it tripped out 4 van sites including ours. Strangely enough, the site alongside us must have been on a separate circuit and was not affected. Our park power post outlets were okay- not tripped when we checked- and we had to find and contact Manager and get him to check his high powered switchboard in his office. Yes, the load on those 4 sites must have been near capacity for EACH site and just one site turning on an extra load exceeded the load for all 4 sites - probably 60 or 80A. So @Totts, another possibility , but unlikely to occur in two parks. Were both parks very full and did it happen at a peak time at night or during the day? More info will be helpful and assist you to get to the real cause/possibility.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
It happens a lot in showgrounds main board trips out not the pole poimt.....................did it to me at The Epic in July, I just turned off the lecky heater and fired up the diesel job.
Many reasons why but we do need heaps of info to pin point as the options are numerous.

jazzeddie1234

May 19, 2016
Mandurah
I wonder if the electrician remembered to check things like the HWS when actually heating (not impossible for the element to leak a bit of current to earth and trip the rcd/circuit breaker). My most obscure fun was a toaster that had a bit of bread drop down and create just enough leakage to trip the rcd....but not every time. I found it by thinking about what I was doing and leaving things unplugged until I could replicate the fault.
Number two was a tripping breaker in the showground power box caused by a spider. A careful dose of insect spray and a dry wooden stick helped fix that one.
Those rcd devices are pretty sensitive so even a wet plug can trip