Planning a trip to Central Coast NSW - Ideas please?

TRAKADU

Jun 23, 2014
Melbourne
Hi all fellow Expandas,

We are planning a road trip from Melbourne to Yamba (NSW) in about three to four months’ time. This is going to be our first loooong trip in the Expanda. We did number of short strips but this is certainly the biggy for us. Can’t wait to see yet another beautiful part of our country. The duration of the trip is approx. 14 days....

We will be staying (overnight) in Tumut, Gosford, Newcastle, Port Macquarie, Coffs Harbour and Yamba being the final destination.

I was hoping if anyone can give me some ideas, tips and recommendations with regards to the following areas:-

1. Best time go there (in terms of weather). Mind you we are planning to leave Melbourne in early October...

2. Free camping spots - Planning to do free camping where and when possible

3. Good Caravan Parks - Any recommendation or preferences

4. Places to go and see - We love nature and history

5. Any other thoughts / inputs would be greatly appreciated

Cheers TRAKADU

Reactions: Bluey

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
Australia
Hi all fellow Expandas,

We are planning a road trip from Melbourne to Yamba (NSW) in about three to four months’ time. This is going to be our first loooong trip in the Expanda. We did number of short strips but this is certainly the biggy for us. Can’t wait to see yet another beautiful part of our country. The duration of the trip is approx. 14 days....

We will be staying (overnight) in Tumut, Gosford, Newcastle, Port Macquarie, Coffs Harbour and Yamba being the final destination.

I was hoping if anyone can give me some ideas, tips and recommendations with regards to the following areas:-

1. Best time go there (in terms of weather). Mind you we are planning to leave Melbourne in early October...

2. Free camping spots - Planning to do free camping where and when possible

3. Good Caravan Parks - Any recommendation or preferences

4. Places to go and see - We love nature and history

5. Any other thoughts / inputs would be greatly appreciated

Cheers TRAKADU
when we drove to Lake Tabourie at Christmas its down from Ulladulla was looking for best way there so we drove to Goulburn then across to Nowra was a good road then you could drive up to Wollongong do the sea cliff bridge coast road then a bit of a climb into Sydney but well worth it I love coast roads from lake tabourie we went to Sydney then Maitland but in Sydney you can stay at Lane Cove nat park 10ks from Sydney north side parks ran van park great spot not very expencive the odd plane flying over but all Sydney cops that we payed 230 for 6 nights got there 2nd jan peak time stayed at Holbrook to on way up we have kids or I would have done Goulburn in one day easy don't know if any help ?

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
@TRAKADU Breakwall c/park in Port Macquarie. Runs along the breakwall to the bar, very central, walk to surf beach and into town. Huge c/park

Park Beach c/park in Coffs is nice, Emerald Beach just north of Coffs is great c/park and great beach. Sawtel is also nice

Yamba Calypso Holiday Park right in Yamba, walk into town, the safe beach and the surf beach. Yamba is a great part of the world.

I like to setup camp, hide the car keys and be within walking distance of what i want .... and i love the surf. So my preferences are weighted to those criteria

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
For your Central Coast leg, the Big 4 at Erina is a great park.

Lots of sites, short walk to the beach and close to shops and facilities.

mbr37746

Oct 20, 2013
Central West NSW
Putting this here so I remember to get back to you. I've got a few great places for you from Central Coast all the way up to Yamba, I'll put some pics on tomorrow.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Myall Lakes area has heaps of camping spots by the lake or at Hawks Nest, I really like Corindi Beach or Red Rock north of Coffs, they don't pack you in like sardines nor charge the earth.
Check out this group all are good spots http://www.northcoastholidayparks.com.au/

If you are going to drive thru Sydney ideally hit it on a Sunday if not then aim to hit the outskirts at 1000 at out by 1400 earlier or later and you are doomed and make sure your toll card is loaded and don't miss the Pennant Hills Rd exit ($10.86) when heading North, hell it can be expensive before you escape the freeway......................
http://sydneymotorways.com/toll-calculator/index.html

TRAKADU

Jun 23, 2014
Melbourne
Thanks for the great feeback guys. Some of those places mentioned look pretty amazing. Googling places is great but going by someone's experience goes a long way. Thanks again.

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Myall Lakes area has heaps of camping spots by the lake
Great spot, with great free camping right on the lakes and a short stroll from the surf beach. Pit toilets and some good fishing to be had (not for me, I can't catch fish) ....... but don't fall for the trap that got us.

Heading in from Hawks Nest in the south for an exciting, but leisurely few days free camping around the beautiful lakes, planning to leave conveniently from the northern end of the national park back to the highway, via the Bombay Point ferry; how exciting !!!! ... bit like a flowing detour on the trip north

The Bombay Point ferry leaves for the 30 foot crossing every painfully long 30min. We missed it by a full 7 seconds, as we watched it cruise off empty to the other side, where it sat motionless for 30min. Captain DH Kirk sat in the command centre looking at us for the entire 30mins, all within speaking distance, choosing to say nothing, nor do anything. we knew he was looking at us .... because we were the only ones for miles (or Myalls). When he returned, exactly 30min later ..... again empty, it was at that point that he chose to inform us that caravans can't get onto the ferry because of the steep concrete ramp angle down, followed by the steep ferry ramp angle up.

Lucky for us I had a hour to kill, and already planned to spend some time staring at an empty ferry without being able to get on it. I thanked Captain DH Kirk very very very much for his timely assistance, gave him a Mexican single digit wave farewell and drove back south through Hawks Nest bleating all the way back to the highway, before heading north.

If I was sure it was his car parked next to the ramp, I would have shoved a prawn in his air vent.

IMG_1949.JPG

Reactions: Drover and dagree

TRAKADU

Jun 23, 2014
Melbourne
QUOTE="Alan, post: 117712, member: 2023"]Why are you going via Tumut ?[/QUOTE]

Hi Alan, I thought Tumut is kind of in the middle between Melbourne and Gosford. No other particular reason. I don't want to drive more than 400-500km a day. Kids would drive me crazey.....

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
Great spot, with great free camping right on the lakes and a short stroll from the surf beach. Pit toilets and some good fishing to be had (not for me, I can't catch fish) ....... but don't fall for the trap that got us.

Heading in from Hawks Nest in the south for an exciting, but leisurely few days free camping around the beautiful lakes, planning to leave conveniently from the northern end of the national park back to the highway, via the Bombay Point ferry; how exciting !!!! ... bit like a flowing detour on the trip north

The Bombay Point ferry leaves for the 30 foot crossing every painfully long 30min. We missed it by a full 7 seconds, as we watched it cruise off empty to the other side, where it sat motionless for 30min. Captain DH Kirk sat in the command centre looking at us for the entire 30mins, all within speaking distance, choosing to say nothing, nor do anything. we knew he was looking at us .... because we were the only ones for miles (or Myalls). When he returned, exactly 30min later ..... again empty, it was at that point that he chose to inform us that caravans can't get onto the ferry because of the steep concrete ramp angle down, followed by the steep ferry ramp angle up.

Lucky for us I had a hour to kill, and already planned to spend some time staring at an empty ferry without being able to get on it. I thanked Captain DH Kirk very very very much for his timely assistance, gave him a Mexican single digit wave farewell and drove back south through Hawks Nest bleating all the way back to the highway, before heading north.

If I was sure it was his car parked next to the ramp, I would have shoved a prawn in his air vent.

View attachment 32577

I've seen caravans on the Bombah Point ferry going to the Myall Shores park.

Must have copped a great ferry master by the sounds of it.

The dirt road to Buladelah is pretty rough anyhow, so via Hawks Nest is a better run.

mbr37746

Oct 20, 2013
Central West NSW
As above Toowoon bay holiday park at the central coast is excellent, we are here every xmas holidays for 2 weeks on ensuite site 2. Check this view out from the awning.
upload_2015-5-27_19-40-25.png

I can recommend Brigadoon caravan park at Northhaven as well, the back end of the park next to the creek looking out to the hills is nice.
upload_2015-5-27_19-43-42.png

Not sure if it's been mentioned yet but Arakoon national park, South West Rocks is REALLY good. This is a campground near the old gaol, I'd suggest a beachfront site - these are unpowered/no water sites though.
upload_2015-5-27_19-47-50.png

Red Rock has been mentioned above and is really nice. We did not stay at the caravan park but went for a drive to the beach (through the caravan park) from where we were staying. We wish we stayed here! Little beach we had all to ourselves for a few hours, worth the relax. Little beach IS little.
upload_2015-5-27_19-52-21.png

Yamba. Not sure if you have kids? If you do Blue Dolphin at Yamba is the best van park we've been to - yet. Pools with waterslides, multiple playgrounds, indoor play areas including blow up jumping castle, TV rooms, Games rooms, great camp kitchens, Billiard room, on site bar and restaurant, swim up bar and heated spa with another kids pool next to it.......wow!!

Water play pool next to spa/bar pool
upload_2015-5-27_19-57-28.png

upload_2015-5-27_19-58-4.png

upload_2015-5-27_19-59-29.png

upload_2015-5-27_20-0-5.png

upload_2015-5-27_20-0-32.png

upload_2015-5-27_20-5-4.png

If you don't have kids, the park is big enough that any kids there aren't a problem.

Have fun, and looking forward to the stories.

TRAKADU

Jun 23, 2014
Melbourne
Hi Matt,

Those photos look great. I do have two kids and I am sure the Blue Dolphine at Yamba is going to be a great hit. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers TRAKADU