Pizza stone for the weber q's

Drizzlingje

Oct 27, 2011
Hi guys,

Acquired a pizza stone with tray for the q recently. The shop steward tried to get some add on sales for extra metal pizza trays as he explained that as you cook on the tray that sits on top of the pizza stone and you may need more trays. I assumed he was talking this up to get extra sales...yet the pamphlet that comes with the stone also states "place the pizza tray (with pizza) on pizza stone..."

What is the use of the pizza stone if you cook on the tray? Just buy a tray and cok on the trivet? The Stone is supposed to evenly disperse the heat but traditionally it absorbs moisture from the dough to ensure a crispy crust.

Have ppl experimented with/without and what are the results?

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
We just use the pizza stone with no tray and we havn't had a complaint yet :hungry: I haven't tried to cook a pizza without it so I cant comment on that :smile:

scottbec

Dec 4, 2011
Albany, WA
We just cook straight on a stock standard pizza stone (not Weber brand) and we also haven't had any complaints. I also don't get the idea of the metal tray. Our stone is pretty stained and charred, but I reckon it adds to the flavour.