17' Series Organising the Expanda

Nolas

Dec 8, 2015
Helensburgh
I am looking for tips and handy ideas for organising everything in our 17.56-2. Where do you hang your tea towels, paper towel etc? Cupboard organisation tips, space saving ideas and where you hang your toilet paper in the toilet/shower combo. Any pics would be great. Thanks:)

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
hiya @Nolas
I did a lot of trawling through Howards Storage for ideas, and then what would actually fit

if thats any help to you
also

there is pictures of the draws I fitted into the wardrobe on my build page (somewhere)

Reactions: Dobbie

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
there is pictures of the draws I fitted into the wardrobe on my build page (somewhere)
Here they are ;) Bigcol's drawers!
Still need to measure ours and get to Howards one of these days!

Img_0254.jpg
As for tea towels this is what I did (Couple of spare drawer handles found in the shed)

Paper towels etc just get stored in a cupboard and sit on top of them for easy access once the poptop is lifted.
We have an assortment of plastic trays in the cupboards that can be removed for packing before going away and just take out to get what is needed (Mrs Dagree is a Short A## ;) ) and makes it easier for her to find what she wants.
Also have the stackable dish/plate holders and use the non-slip matting between all plates.... Actually have the non-slip matting on all cupboard shelves!

Img_0758 - Resized.jpg
Also have a few of these strategically placed around the van to hide things like mobiles, magazines, remotes, wallets etc.

and where you hang your toilet paper in the toilet/shower combo
No pics ;) but we use a suction toilet roll holder that can be located in a convenient location dependent on the user!

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
Towels..wet and after use...outside on the awning strut and then on the handle for the poptop lifter above the beds. This is done when on the move as well and keeps them fresher. If you get stuck with several bits of damp clothing it's easy to string a line between the ends to dry when needed.

We also had a couple of stick on hooks just outside the shower for clothes when showering and for anything else that needed hanging, tea towels, hand towels etc.

Toilet paper...we ordered a waterproof roll holder from someone in Darwin but it never turned up so we just kept the toilet roll in a plastic bag and left it on the shelf in the bathroom with the hand wash.

The one thing we found necessary was to remove the shower head from the bracket and wrap it in something (microfibre cloth) while travelling.

Paper towels etc we kept in a plastic washing up bowl, along with cutlery, plates, cups washing up liquid, sponges coffee and tea. That was always kept together, stored on the inside table under the doona when in transit and brought outside when camped. We always cook, eat and washup outside so that made it easy. And it fits easily on the picnic table outside so is always accessible but out of the way of other pursuits such as relaxing and imbibing.

There are some good storage solutions around but your own evolve as you use the van and everyone is different.

Lots of stuff can be kept in easy reach on the top of cupboards if you're camped up for a while and then easy to put away quickly when you need to move. Lots of plastic containers, drawer liners and a basic plan works.

Have fun!

Last edited:

MDS69

Jul 6, 2014
Didn't your van come with a paper towel holder. Our 14 did inside one of the cupboard doors.

Reactions: bigcol

The escapist

Nov 9, 2016
Sydney
Why did you have to remove the shower head @Dobbie ?

Reason I asked is cause I noticed ours on the shower floor after the return trip yesterday. I'm sure I didn't leave it there!

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
That's why!

It jiggles it's way out of the holder with little encouragement and can damage the high quality shower surround very easily....or at least scratch it.

Maybe our roads are bumpier in Qld ;) but leaving it out of the holder with something to stop it damaging anything is an easy preventative solution....and its happier curled up on the floor.

:apologetic:

warren cook

Sep 18, 2016
Western Sydney
We still use the cardboard box the glasses and mugs came in, we cut the top off and left the dividers, they go in and out very easy and stack neatly in the cupboard. We also have the non slip mat in every cupboard.

Also the collapsible bowls etc are very handy for saving space.

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
Yep. Agree.

One thing I forgot to add: the stuff you need, often, should be easy to get at and easy to put away....and wrapped in something if they're like to rattle around and get damaged.

The toaster, kettle, coffee machine, induction plate .....all a bit bulky .....we kept in the cupboard next to the door. Each had its own tea towel wrapped around it and it's own designated space so we weren't scrounging around for a spot to stow them when packing up.

warren cook

Sep 18, 2016
Western Sydney
Don't say that, I laughed when she showed me and didn't see the point in packing into a bag that's being packed into a suitcase, BUT she was right as the kids pulled everything out when they wanted something and then packed it all back into there little bags and back away into the cupboard it went. Otherwise the clothes would be all overt he floor or beds every time.

I went and bought a 4 tier plastic drawer set up from officeworks for $29 that I was going to use and have it sit in the rear bed area up against the wall, she said no so they are now sitting in the garage being used as a shoe holder for the kids.

Give me a plastic crate any day!!!!

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
That's why!

It jiggles it's way out of the holder with little encouragement and can damage the high quality shower surround very easily....or at least scratch it.

Maybe our roads are bumpier in Qld ;) but leaving it out of the holder with something to stop it damaging anything is an easy preventative solution....and its happier curled up on the floor.

:apologetic:
We put a small Velcro strap around the shower head and bracket which stops it falling out when we are travelling

willobee

Apr 8, 2015
Perth
Hi all, what do you all do for your bin?
I am a little over the plastic bag hanging from the tap.

And im sure its not good for the tap either;)

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
Hi all, what do you all do for your bin?
I am a little over the plastic bag hanging from the tap.

And im sure its not good for the tap either;)
We use a small bin with a foot operated lid that takes shopping bags.

Can't remember where we got it.

The escapist

Nov 9, 2016
Sydney
We use a big bin. Leave it outside when camped. Just travels on one of the bunks on our doona when on the road. Actually, now that I type that out it doesn't sound very hygienic!

We don't like small bins inside though, too many trips to the skips and just something else to trip over!

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
we have a small "folding" bin - takes the shopping bags inside

the daughter is a "Rubbish Nazi" so once its full, she enjoys taking the "Wubbish" to the "Wubbish bin" and also all the recycle stuff......

gets put out if there is not a spot for recycled stuff - and has "spoken" to the manager once (at Toodyay) they now provide a spot for "Wubbish" and recycle

Reactions: Delano and dagree