NP300 Navara

stuartcarr2002

May 13, 2011
Sydney
Got the opportunity to drive the new NP300 Navara yesterday.

We also drove many competitors (hill, D40, D Max, Amarok, BT Fity, Ranger and triton.

I have to say, the new motor is very impressive. Although only 2.3 litres, it pulls very well. Even with the biggest Jayco silver line behind it still pulled well. Just as much pulling feel as the Ranger.

Inside there is no ute that compares to the quality and design. It is like sitting in an Xtrail or Altima.

We had one with a 3 tonne boat hooked up. The cars where pre production and straight off the boat so non where modified. There was only a small amount of sag in the rear, The new coil rear suspension certainly holds a heap of weight and with minimal sag plus giving a more stable and comfortable ride

After driving them all the only thing that was as good was the Amarok (surprised as i hate VW with a passion). It performed the best and was almost as smooth as the Navara with the coils.

Bt50 was rough in the ride, Triton was just old, Colorado was sloppy and crap inside, Similar to Dmax, although heaps better than colorado, Hilux, just old and sloppy, Amarok was nice to drive, but inside little plain and Ranger, Better than BT in comfort, but still plain inside. Although the BT was manual and the Ranger auto the ranger felt a little better in performance than the Mazda, Not sure why. They where press cars so they had all have had hard life, plus the Mazda only had a few 100 kms on the clock, the Ranger had about 6000klms.

The biggest negative i found with new Navara is the cooling fan was noisy when it cut in, under load. Seemed noisier than the YD25. That said it was a hot day in Melboune and some of the car where loaded up for the towing part of the drive.

Release date in mid April.
Cheers

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    128.9 KB · Views: 409
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    137.2 KB · Views: 416
  • photo 3.JPG
    photo 3.JPG
    83 KB · Views: 385
  • photo 4.JPG
    photo 4.JPG
    97.6 KB · Views: 406
  • photo 5.JPG
    photo 5.JPG
    115.8 KB · Views: 430
  • photo 6.JPG
    photo 6.JPG
    138.7 KB · Views: 422
  • photo 7.JPG
    photo 7.JPG
    163.8 KB · Views: 424
Reactions: Deano

Soaring

Jan 30, 2013
Melbourne - Eltham
I could not go back to a 2.3 L even as you say it has no problem pulling the 3 tonne boat. To my mind that 2.3 L motor has to work a hell of a lot harder to produce the power and torque to pull that load compared to the 3.2 L BT50.
Got to agree with that @chartrock. The old saying still holds true, there is no replacement for displacement. To get comparable power and torque out a smaller displacement motor means you have to wind up the compression and boost. this loads up pistons, rods, cranks etc. Durability can suffer. Not saying it will, but I like to play the odds.

stuartcarr2002

May 13, 2011
Sydney
This is old school way of thinking and weather we like it or not, smaller capacity turbo motors are the future. Larger engines will be replaced due to the emission requirements that will come in to place. This is why the V9X was dropped.
Don't you think when they design an engine with stronger pistons cranks etc to support the power output.
There is no reason that this motor will not last as long as any other modern diesel. Not many modern CRD will last much more than 200000klms without work done on it.
Take new Renault Traffic that is out next month. It is coming with a twin turbo 1.6 CRD. That is a vehicle that is designed for work and heavy loads.
Take the 3.2 in the BT and Ranger. That is a larger capacity motor, yet they are having issues with it. Not here say. Talk to any Ford or mazda dealer and they will tell you. Mazda down have stock of 3.2 motors for the fun of it.
If you look inside a striped down YD25 or the famous ZD30 even the good ol D4D Yota, generally the issues are caused by injection issues or something similar. The bores, cranks bearing and sometimes pistons etc are still in perfect condition provided it hasn't been a mechanical let go. The motors are strong designed for the power they produce.

Reactions: Deano and chartrock

Soaring

Jan 30, 2013
Melbourne - Eltham
Time will tell @stuartcarr2002 , but in the mean time, I'll stick with displacement, and let others be the guinea pigs, particularly given the crap diesel we have here in Aust.
I like your logic that the engines are designed with stronger components, yet can't get the injection system to work? What, did they put the 'B' team engineers on the injection system? Doesn't really instill confidence. And I'm not picking on Nissan here. It's scyoss the board. Btw the 3.2 has "problems" because morons servicing them do not follow simple instructions. The variable pressure oil pump is not self priming, so cannot be drained and left for more than 10-15 minutes. Well documented in the service manuals and dealer bulletins.....
Interestingly Maxda has heaps more issues than Ford with EXACTLY the same motor. Clearly the Mazda service guys are the ones who are struggling.
2.0 litre VW with a 2 tonne vehicle towing 3.5 tonne? No thanks.

Moto Moto

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Mar 15, 2011
The Gong
Interesting read @stuartcarr2002 I know I sure would love the opportunity to drive all the latest utes, especially towing. I like the look of the new Navara outside and in, but like the others say I like the idea of a less stressed motor myself (give me an old TD42 anyday). Love the idea of coil rear though, that's a huge selling point for comfort over any other leaf spring ute on the market. That factory bulbar needs a rethink it looks terrible (as do most factory bullbars for most brands), lucky Ironman and others have a better looking options available.

We have a fleet of BT's and Colorado's at work and have never had an engine issue. The only BT issues I am aware of are related to draining the oil for too long and a rubbing coolant hose (both issues affect BT's and Rangers). Will be interested to see how these new models go (not just the Navara but all the new models due over the next 12 months), but i'm happy to stick with my BT for now 100,000km and still pulling like an Ox.

stuartcarr2002

May 13, 2011
Sydney
With the coil rear axle does it still have drum bakes or have they moved with the times and fitted disc brakes
Na just drum. Only the V Dub has the disc.
That said, i don't have a drama with drum on the rear. A lot of cars and commercials still have them, and as far as braking they stop as good as any 4 wheel disc vehicle. With ABS, brake assist and EBD standard on almost every car these days a disc/drum works fine.
Also a handbrake on a drum setup works a heap better than disc. Great for handbrake turns :)

crackacoldie

Jan 8, 2013
Newcastle NSW
Interesting read @stuartcarr2002 I know I sure would love the opportunity to drive all the latest utes, especially towing. I like the look of the new Navara outside and in, but like the others say I like the idea of a less stressed motor myself (give me an old TD42 anyday). Love the idea of coil rear though, that's a huge selling point for comfort over any other leaf spring ute on the market. That factory bulbar needs a rethink it looks terrible (as do most factory bullbars for most brands), lucky Ironman and others have a better looking options available.

We have a fleet of BT's and Colorado's at work and have never had an engine issue. The only BT issues I am aware of are related to draining the oil for too long and a rubbing coolant hose (both issues affect BT's and Rangers). Will be interested to see how these new models go (not just the Navara but all the new models due over the next 12 months), but i'm happy to stick with my BT for now 100,000km and still pulling like an Ox.
My Ranger is now up to 190000 kms and pulling better than ever, the niggling issues are now sorted.

I agree with @Soaring , no replacement for displacement. I think Nissan have proved that with the ZD30 in the patrols. I might be a sceptic, but only time will tell with Nissans history of small motors in big cars.

rags

A lot of cars and commercials still have them

I see they are now a
Na just drum. Only the V Dub has the disc.
That said, i don't have a drama with drum on the rear. A lot of cars and commercials still have them, and as far as braking they stop as good as any 4 wheel disc vehicle. With ABS, brake assist and EBD standard on almost every car these days a disc/drum works fine.
Also a handbrake on a drum setup works a heap better than disc. Great for handbrake turns :)

I see they are fitting discs to the smaller range of hino and Isuzu trucks now days