Starcraft Non-potable water in tanks?

Brougham

May 22, 2016
Perth, WA
www.customphoto.com.au
Question. Staying at a remote town soon and they don’t have drinking water to sites, just artesian bore water. Now it’s unfiltered and warm, wouldn’t think of connecting mains to it.

However what would you think if I added it to my tanks (diluted maybe 50/50 with clean water to use for shower and cleaning dishes?

we don’t use van tanks for drinking water when camping anyway, we take big bottles/containers of water so just use the tanks for help shower and sink.

do you reckon it’d do any damage using it like that for a week? In honestly it would probably only be a single top up anyway; we normally get close to a week off our 2 tanks.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
In many places like Blackall and other western QLD towns the water was straight from the bore and hot, the towns cold water was from water tanks beside the house where it cooled down, never killed me...... In fact most places in western Qld its bore water and some its far better than the city stuff......................................... If they have bore water on tap at sites just hook up to use for shower and washing thats what we do at these sort of places, some of them just hook up when we want to use it, leaving the tanks for drinking and cooking ................. You don't want to be putting it straight into the tanks though as it will usually stink the place out ........ At some I have decanted from my jerries into a tank after letting it cool and allow the gas to dissipate ................................ Hot artesian if not salty is usually good stuff......

What town are we talking about ??

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Some reason I was thinking QLD, from what Ive been told from WA mates BYO as its yucky... See on wiki camps they have potable available for bottles....
Run it thru a BEST filter ....................
Be some Wait Awhiles on here who have wandered there for sure to be able to answer better than my general stuff.

Last edited:

jazzeddie1234

May 19, 2016
Mandurah
When I stay in Coral Bay I haul a 10l jerry over to the drinking tap and wait for the painfully slow fill. Then tip that into my tank as a top up. Otherwise the bulk refill is not too expensive (for coral bay that is).

While I carry a large .5 (ish) micron, twin water filter for normal refilling/drinking etc I would hesitate to use it on the campground bore water. It's very salty

Reactions: Drover

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I’ve been there ever year or two since I was a kid so know the town and water well. Just have never run artesian water in my van before, so just wondering if it was okay or not really.

Oh okay ! Really depends on the bore quality, never found town bore non potable to be toxic but often the non potable reason is it has a salt content thats okay for cattle but not humans..... going by what @jazzeddie1234 said says this sounds like the case so while it probably won't hurt your plumbing not a great thing for the HWS....................

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
The staining and mineral build up on everything that Coral Bay bore water has touched, i wouldnt let it anywhere near my caravan incl tanks. The bore water is so hot it would de-glove you. We used the c/park shower whilst staying there.

KECL

Aug 16, 2016
Secret Harbour WA
When I stayed at the caravan park there was a tap that had the drinking water next to the shower block. Everyone just carried over containers for that water, no restrictions on how much you could take. Sites did not have any tap to connect to any bore water. This was at the Ningaloo Coral Bay - Bayview Caravan Park.

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
When I stayed at the caravan park there was a tap that had the drinking water next to the shower block. Everyone just carried over containers for that water, no restrictions on how much you could take. Sites did not have any tap to connect to any bore water. This was at the Ningaloo Coral Bay - Bayview Caravan Park.
The park we stayed at (the 2nd C/park from from the water) has bore taps accessible to each site, but the water was way to hot to connect a hose

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
This is a Coral Bay bore water sprinker made out of a split piece of white PVC sewer pipe.

p1050075-resized-1280.jpg

• Haha

jazzeddie1234

May 19, 2016
Mandurah
We usually stay at bruboodjoo which is about 25km north of Coral Bay, and drive down the coastal track when we want to go snorkeling (or more accurately to the bakery). No water there so we fill every spare container in Carnarvon for the 2 week stay

Holidayz

Oct 12, 2017
Perth, WA
Yeah like others there are fresh water taps you can fill containers up. Also down the side road near reception at Ningaloo Coral Bay - Bayview Caravan Park, you can pay a small amount and fill your tanks with fresh water.
I wouldn’t put that bore water in. It will corrode and clog up everything it touches.

Reactions: Crusty181