Non Outbacks in the Outback

Klugerclan

Aug 31, 2011
I read an article in a caravan magazine over the weekend about a couple who took a standard 16 footer sterling right across the top from Cairns, the comment was that it involved a fair bit of glue and tape.

So how far can you go, before you really need the additional clearance / stronger chassis of an Outback ?

zerosecta

Sep 27, 2011
Melbourne
The little bit of extra clearance aside,

I really dont think that having an outback would have made any differance what so ever, because I'm sure you'll find that all that Glue and tape was used on the inside not the outside and the fact is that wether you get an on road or outback the inside is the same..

In fact you could argue that having an outback with the more rigid chassis may even have caused more damage inside...

Food for thought???

Nath69

Oct 22, 2014
Cromer
Sorry to bring up an old thread.

I have been looking to buy a used 17.56-2OB for clearance and chassis strength alone. It seems very rare to find an outback with all the options we are looking for but the tourer/on road version with the options we want are quite common.
Is the outback chassis that much stronger then the tourer? Do most of the tourer versions have the same roller rocker suspension set up as the outback and could I just do a spring over conversion at my local Al-ko dealer and have the hitch height looked at to stay legal.

Thanks for any advice, the forum is a fantastic source of info.

Cheers

Nathan

BigSkiddy

May 7, 2013
Bargo NSW
Sorry to bring up an old thread.

I have been looking to buy a used 17.56-2OB for clearance and chassis strength alone. It seems very rare to find an outback with all the options we are looking for but the tourer/on road version with the options we want are quite common.
Is the outback chassis that much stronger then the tourer? Do most of the tourer versions have the same roller rocker suspension set up as the outback and could I just do a spring over conversion at my local Al-ko dealer and have the hitch height looked at to stay legal.

Thanks for any advice, the forum is a fantastic source of info.

Cheers

Nathan

Welcome @Nath69 !

I'd be happy for someone to refute me, but I wouldn't think that having the thicker chassis would make much difference. I've never heard of anyone bending a touring chassis.

You could get a touring and undersling the axle to give extra height. Don't know the cost but you would have to consider what options an Outback didn't have and if it would be easier to add them instead.

Clearance is definitely handy if you intend doing 'free camping' and not just going to caravan parks.

Saw you intend to tow with a Pathfinder. Check you owners manual re weight restrictions, especially towball weight, may affect your decision.
Cheers

Last edited:

Nath69

Oct 22, 2014
Cromer
Hi BigSkiddy

thanks for the reply.
I have seen a Tourer close to us with all the options we want and it was considerably less than a similar Outback that was not close to us at all.
We don't anticipate doing anything extreme in it, just mixing it up with a bit of caravan parks and a bit of free camping.

The allowable tow ball weight on the Pathfinder (668kg = GVM - Tare) is not that impressive but we are looking to upgrade to a GU Patrol soon as well.

Thanks

Nathan

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
If you roll the axle under the spring you will raise 100mm, well depends on the spring thickness really, which on my tourer model meant I'm just a tad high on the ball but since the regs only state tow ball and I don't have one, well !!!!!.
Anyway it's actually just the right height for my Jeep, my rig doesn't drag it's arse anywhere now and can navigate some big holes on tracks without a worry, though it could be 20mm lower, does a bit of dirt track stuff and hit by a truck and still together.
Bastard march flies.......aarrgghhhh.............................

Colsar

May 10, 2014
Mornington Peninsula
If you buy second hand and it comes with an annexe , remember the under slung lift of 100mm may affect your annexe to ground heights ? food for thought just in case.

Reactions: Drover

skippy

Jun 21, 2010
Butler/Perth WA
@Nath69
I would also suggest if traveling down of gravel tracks and letting the tyres down for smother rides, invest in some good quaitly light truck tyres for stronger walls that will hopefully stop punchers. Road tyres have week walls and when letting the tyres down you expose the week piont of a road tyre hence the off road light truck tyres are the way to go.

Last edited:
Reactions: 17triton

Nath69

Oct 22, 2014
Cromer
Just picked up a late 2013 Jayco Expanda 17.56-2 Outback with all the options we wanted. Only extra thing the wife wants is the privacy screen around the annex.
Happy campers. We can't wait to use it now.
Expanda.png

shiraz

Oct 22, 2012
sellicks hill s.a
interesting thread, Running a 16.49 3 what Tyre pressures are recommended for gravel roads as opposed to sealed roads,and short runs of national pk roads is it worth the effort, only a couple of weeks to go before we set off to S E Queensland and northern rivers,
Question, want to leave Van in or around Mooloolabah any suggestions.
last trip hiking Lamington NP 7 days we left it in a caravan pk at no cost as we stayed there a couple of nights .

thanks for any help

regards Shiraz

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
It's really a " How long is a piece of string ?" question, weight, tyre type and axle's all combine to give various pressures.....rule of thumb 4lb less than highway for starters but if your just doing 50 ks of dirt leave the pressure's...........if the rig is tracking along well then all is good, if your tug and van are moving all over the place then pressure needs adjustment.................you can't say this pressure or that as it depends on each situation, whats great in one spot is lousy on another.
Like sand driving don't drop pressure way down do it gradually till you find the sweet spot, too low and the tyre could roll off the rim and if you don't carry a compressor leave it alone.

You could try Mapleton Caravan Park, inland from the coast, any place on the coast would cost you your first born and a future on a grandchild.

Reactions: shiraz

shiraz

Oct 22, 2012
sellicks hill s.a
Muzzas Low Cost Stay
Camp Site

stars.png
4 stars from 2 users

Peregian Beach. 4573, Queensland
-26.465573, 153.060758
StaticMapService.GetMapImage
Thanks Drover, this site came up on WikiCamps $5 pr person pr night, within 20ks of Noosa, will ring both before we leave, Thanks ,we want to take the Portabote through everglades,
You have a great part of the country up there Our first born has just finished his apprenticeship as a plumber and cant see them coming back to S.A , Daughter in Mt Barker W.A. Expander and BT get a regular work out.

ShaneT

Jul 24, 2014
W.A
Just incase someone searches this in the future, 2014 onwards the major difference between the outback and standard is the coil suspension.

Reactions: crackacoldie