Noisy Water Pump

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
First time I have had to really use the water pump and mine is one noisy bastard, rumbles away, vibrating thru the rig, I have planned to reposition it to under the van but now I may mount it using something like a tranmission mount to limit the noise.
Anyone done anything similar ??????

Reactions: achjimmy

Ren77

Nov 7, 2013
North Queensland
Just tried ours out the other day. It didn't seem too noisy but it did appear to interfere with our Fusion radio transmission. Anyone else had this?

Glen Bundesen

Jan 12, 2014
Perth WA
Yes they make some noise - we turn ours off at night because the water in the pipe shrinks as the temperature drops and the pump starts up for a few seconds.
Re - excessive pump noise - Suggest you see if it is vibrating against something.

Reactions: achjimmy

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Saw a thread years ago were somebody had isolated a pump further and wrapped foam around and achieved success quieting them. We turn ours off as well. Just remember to kill the HWS also if you kill the pump.

Reactions: Drover

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Thanks fellas, nice to know I'm not alone, it must be a mounting problem so when I get back from this trip I will sort it out. The water pump for our house was fitted by experts and everyone knew a tap was on, I did a mod and no noise, this will be a smaller version.
Watch this space as they say.

Reactions: Wanda and Ren77

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
I have a similar sure flow pump in the back of my Landcruiser. It's just the way these pumps are. Put them in a big box like a caravan and it only enhances the sound. The one in our new van vs the one in the car both sound about the same with 10 years difference in age

Flossymk1

Apr 29, 2014
Brisbane, QLD
Ours is noisy as well! I only discovered this last night when I tested it, so am also glad to know that this is apparently normal! It would be nice to be able to make it quieter somehow, so definitely looking forward to your solution @Drover :)

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
May be a few weeks till the solution, the week away went to 2 weeks and now looks like 4 weeks. Have cut a bit of noise down by insulating the water pipes and I think the plan to make some better mounts will be good, time will tell, damn have to go fishing.................................

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
What is 'noisy'?
Ours definately made a noise. You could hear it from outside, but I dont think it was excessive. I like the sound of someone/something doing some work!

I reckon just check the installation for obvious vibration/rubbing.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Well ours ran for a week and it actually was a lot quieter by the end of the week, I did insulate a couple of water lines that were against the body, that cut down some noise but the pump itself ran quieter later on, might have needed a bit of settling in. Will still improve the mounts when I get home though.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Back home and have had a good look and think I will mount it under the floor, then I will only have one pipe going inside, chances of a flood will be less and after some experiments I did while away I think part of the noise problem is from the water lines where they come thru the floor.
Anyway moving the pump will mean I will have somewhere like 9 cnx's that won't flood the inside, just amazing how they have done the plumbing in these things. I will also go to my local supplier and get about 36 of those little red circlips to stop the fittings opening by themselves will probably need more though.
I intend to mount the pump on a rubber pad fastened under the floor to lessen sound/vibration transfer but don't see a need to enclose it as it will have a water tank in front to stop rocks and the pump seems to be water/dirt proof so will just enclose it in a mesh housing, boxing it in would just make a sound box anyway and a pain to get at.
While I'm down there I will finish repositioning the water/drain lines as they are a bloody tangled mess, must have been a Friday build and the apprentice wanted to get to dance classes..............if I ever bought a new one it would have to be local as I would be a dealers worse nightmare, but not much chance of that, rather fix things myself, do it once, do it right.
Couple a days or maybe next week and should have some pics on the mod, unless I go fishing this weekend................life is good.

Reactions: blacky

Holden_man

Aug 21, 2012
Brisbane - Carindale
Like @relgate I don't find ours to bad either, like @Glen Bundesen we also turn off at night as it will cut in every now and then to build pressure back up.

We did have one time the pump rattled like buggery and it was because it was pulling a bit of air from the one tank, as it got low. The tank wasn't empty just getting down a bit. Changed the tap to pull from both tanks and major rattle went away.

Last edited:
Reactions: Alenka

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
@Holden_man I have noted that some turn it off at night since it runs on a pressure drop, I must say mine doesn't but I have had that rattle when the tank is getting low, while I was away I did insulate a couple of lines and the noise dropped off so the mod should make a heap of difference I think, Friday or Monday builds, always a problem...............lol.

Holden_man

Aug 21, 2012
Brisbane - Carindale
@Holden_man I have noted that some turn it off at night since it runs on a pressure drop, I must say mine doesn't but I have had that rattle when the tank is getting low, while I was away I did insulate a couple of lines and the noise dropped off so the mod should make a heap of difference I think, Friday or Monday builds, always a problem...............lol.
Goodstuff @Drover glad it has improved :)