16' Series NO FLUSH

BUSH PALACE

Sep 4, 2011
LOBETHAL S.A
Just putting it out there the Bush Palace has been undercover since the Corner trip , so it was time to uncover it and start replenishing for Xmas to find the dunny wasnt flushing .
Pressing the flush button with the light on was making a flicker so thinking it has to be the pump .
After a lot of swearing and cursing ( the hole is too small for my hands ) I finally retrieved the pump to find the impeller was gummed up with algea and siezed , could not believe how much crap (no pun intended ) was inside the flush tank even though we use an additive.
After loosening the impeller with crc it worked again as well as cleaned out the tank so it might be worth checking out as preventitive maintenance ..

Stone Stomper

Jul 2, 2011
Glenelg SA
www.stonestomper.com.au
Mine did the same BP and I got it going again with crc but didn't last long so might be worth getting a spare as it could happen when away.

Christian

It is a small hole

image0035.jpg

image0033.jpg

Last edited:

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I wonder if a dose of pool algercide in it when storing would help, draining it may not be good for seals and things.

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
Happened to my mates earlier this year too, we flushed out loads of black algea. I now drain my top tank before leaving the site.

ROnEM

Mar 13, 2012
Macedon Ranges, Vic
The guys at Jayco Bendigo said that this is a common problem with the Thetford pump impeller seizing up.

In 2.5 years we have owned the van, I am onto our 3rd impeller/pump. Have done the sprays and coaxing/spinning the impeller with a skewer, but does not fix the problem for long.

I now keep a spare in the tool kit.

We do not get any algae in the flush tank and only use the Thetford rinse product (pink one).

As the pump hose is thick and difficult to bend, I found that the easiest way to get the pump out is to remove the flush water exit point first, by either getting long nosed pliers and grabbing it and gently pushing it back into the tank, or from the inside, pulling down until you hear the plastic lug click.

Then pull out the discharge point and the pump follows.

Simply fit back in reverse - drop in pump, then put discharge point back in and push until it clicks/locks in or pull until it lock with long nose pliers.

Cheers,

Rohan

Reactions: Drover and Smergen

ROnEM

Mar 13, 2012
Macedon Ranges, Vic
Issue here is that at between $72 and $94 each (depending where you can get them), these make for an expensive repair over time.

T16374: Thetford Cassette Pump Suit C2 And C400 Toilets

Be careful, as there are some internet caravan parts sellers in Australia claiming a RRP of $180+ and discounting them to around $160.
caravansplus.com.au seem to have them at the best price - about $72. (not affiliated!)
Some of the Jayco dealers have them for between $120 and $149.

Reactions: yabbietol

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Damn I was at Watsons in Coffs Harbour today but didn't take notice of the price that much, but the rest of their gear has good price tags. Some stuff cheaper than online.

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Yep they dont last long after the first seizure . I buy them from a uk supplier, around $40. They are not genuine thetford but identical.

ROnEM

Mar 13, 2012
Macedon Ranges, Vic
Damn I was at Watsons in Coffs Harbour today but didn't take notice of the price that much, but the rest of their gear has good price tags. Some stuff cheaper than online.

@Drover,

Agree that some stuff is cheeper online, but you have to be careful with online - some people get too caught up with it and a simple phone call/s to a couple of dealers will also give you a gauge of prices.

Some of the dealers I have called are also happy to put it in an express post bag and send the parts out (at your expense), but total costs are sometimes still cheaper than online. Also mentioning to a dealer that you can get a better price online will sometimes get you a better price on the spot, or even a price match.

Pays to speak to people and ask sometimes.

Cheers,

Rohan

Reactions: Drover

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
@achjimmy - please share your UK dealer's details....

Cheers,

Rohan

I ll have to find the card, it was Birmingham caravan supplies or something. Trick is you log in to UK fleabay get the prices in STG and the prices are better. I put $40 up as the exchange has changed and that would be one. I got two for $55 delivered iirc earlier in the year.

Yep I agree always buy local and discuss with seller to try and do better. But asking somebody who wants a $90- $100 for something to drop to match $30 is just an exercise in wasting time.

Reactions: Drover

ROnEM

Mar 13, 2012
Macedon Ranges, Vic
@
I ll have to find the card, it was Birmingham caravan supplies or something. Trick is you log in to UK fleabay get the prices in STG and the prices are better. I put $40 up as the exchange has changed and that would be one. I got two for $55 delivered iirc earlier in the year.

Yep I agree always buy local and discuss with seller to try and do better. But asking somebody who wants a $90- $100 for something to drop to match $30 is just an exercise in wasting time.

@achjimmy,

Thanks - Just purchased 2 units & shipping from the UK for $64.00!

Also, they gave a 1m power cable, so no having to join and wrap underwater anymore.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Replaceme...ervan_Caravan_Accessories&hash=item2ed7d6271b

Happy days.....