News article about NSW truck stop fines

mikerezny

Sep 11, 2016
Mount Waverley, VIC
Hi.
Interesting.
They could have a lot less congestion at a truck stop if the same conditions were placed on them as are being placed on rest stops for light vehicles. A 4 hour limit.

No person would want to stop and rest in a truck stop with all the noise and smell from trucks. People stop there because the are not enough other places to park.

Oh, silly me, of course, when we can't find a place to park we should just front up to the nearest Big 4 and pay whatever they want. Can't get into them over holiday periods unless you book way ahead. Ah, did we mention that we have a 3,5,7 day minimum stay policy?

Just another revenue raiser being used to avoid fixing the real problem: providing adequate rest stops for ALL vehicles.

Seems like the only time vehicles ar etreated equally is when it comes to paying the tolls. Then a car and caravan or motorhome suddnly becomes a B-double.

Sorry for the rant.

cheers
Mike

jazzeddie1234

May 19, 2016
Mandurah
From memory I have only parked in a couple of trucks stops and only because there was plenty of room way back in the bush and well away from the truck bays.

In one case the hapless camper who stopped too close was serenaded by an idling truck all night

Reactions: poor but proud

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Rest stops arent restricted to trucks, whether they have big long truck shaped bays or not. Rest areas with truck symbols are nothing more than rest areas where a truck can fit. Despite the constant whining on social media, the only truck parking that can (but never is) enforced are privately provided such as road houses. This baseless debate has been going on for years, and is responsible for FB gang warfare every single day.

I can only presume these two experimental rest areas are now being subject to a new specific local council bylaw.

We were in a rest area a couple of nights ago, the car / caravan area was only 50% full but there were still whiz bangers, caravans, campers and m/homes dotted thru the segregated truck area ... and there was little reason to aside from arrogance, a sense of entitlement despite most of these nongs not knowing they are actually lawfully able to, they just do it anyway (We were dutifully parked in the "domestic" area)

Last edited:

poor but proud

Aug 25, 2018
redlands
maybe i am just being naive ,but on our highways trucks are bound by logbook laws which are enforced by heavy fines etc, RV,s are not bound by such laws, in my travels i have seen plenty of arrogant self centered people who believe that rules only apply to others, these are the same people who complain that a truck runs its fridge motors disturbing them in their RV, who by the way, is parked in a designated truck bay, NT has a good highway rest area setup one for trucks then next one for cars and rv, but you still see RV,s parked in the middle of the truck areas causing friction with people who are trying to make a living, having all the rules in the world can not stop a bonehead being a bonehead and by the way i also was a truckie for part of my working life ,now i am retired and get paid sit down money i want all of us to enjoy this vast country and live and let live without the need for the mermaids to get involved

poor but proud

Aug 25, 2018
redlands
a little bit off track ,but one of my fondest memories of country driving happened a number of years ago when Dalby in Queensland was the first set of traffic lights coming from the bush , i was in the left lane a cattle truck was in the right lane as we came up to a red light. i stopped back from the truck but the bogan behind me was annoyed that i did not move up to the line, he drove around me over the gutter and gave me the royal salute as he passed as he moved up beside the truck one of the cattle let the poo fly out the side of the trailer all over his car and windscreen, had great delight in giving him a friendly wave as he got out to clean fertlizer off his windscreen as i said before you cant help a bonehead