Newbie - 2014 21.64-1 OB just ordered

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
Hello all, we just ordered a 2014 21.64-1 Outback.

I've pretty much optioned up with just about everything I could, but given this is our first van, is there anything I have forgotten, and anything I need to keep an eye on with build / delivery.

We aren't expecting delivery until the end of May.

We ordered the following options:

Privacy screens
Extra 120w solar panel (in addition to the standard one, to make 2 x 120w)
Wind up TV antenna
Standard control panel
IBIS aircon upgrade
Bed converter to club lounge
180 litre fridge upgrade
TV bracket
Washing machine
Anderson plug
Picnic table
Cafe dinette with trifold bunk instead of fixed bunks
Water filter
Alko Electronic Stability Control

The 2014 now includes PowerPoint to club lounge, LED strip light to awning, 100AH battery (I'm thinking I'll add a second battery aftermarket) lights to tunnel boot, 120w solar, independent coil suspension.

What have I missed ?

Paul75

Jul 28, 2013
Gippsland, VIC
Only thing I'd say is adding a battery aftermarket will eat into your payload, where as if it's factory supplied it will be included in your tare weight. May not be an issue for you but worth considering.

Last edited:

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
Thanks for that Paul.

I wasn't aware that the factory would spec it to provide the total payload figure, but. Guess when I think about it, it makes sense.

I don't think in our situation weight is going to be a problem.

Most of the time there will only be 2 of us, so we should have plenty of payload to spare, but thanks for the suggestion.

Ch00ka77

Apr 28, 2012
Maffra VIC
Great van very jealous.
I would also add a extra awning light and also another on the far side above the toilet cassette, extended draw bar, power point and 12 volt sockets at all beds, third water tank, drifter control panel, outside drop down table *Try posting a bit more so your post isn't boring* if you have room, tv outlet outside or purchase the entertainment pack, we also love our stereo with outside speakers. And off coarse our pullout BBQ. Sorry about the beer intruder image.jpg

Reactions: Ren77

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
Maybe you should consider the extended draw bar as well, a number of members regret not getting it.

I was thinking about the extended draw bar. I ended up hooking the Landcruiser up at the dealer , opening the bed, and then my spare tyres and tailgate, and everything seemed to work OK so elected not to go for it.

What sort of benefit does the longer draw bar have other than access to the car ?

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
Great van very jealous.
I would also add a extra awning light and also another on the far side above the toilet cassette, extended draw bar, power point and 12 volt sockets at all beds, third water tank, drifter control panel, outside drop down table *Try posting a bit more so your post isn't boring* if you have room, tv outlet outside or purchase the entertainment pack, we also love our stereo with outside speakers. And off coarse our pullout BBQ. Sorry about the beer intruder View attachment 19527

Like the light above the toilet cassette idea, will ask for that.

I have a 60l water tank on the car for added water, so will probably stick with 2 on the van.

Thanks for the other suggestions.

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
Th
G'day @Bellbirdweb have a look at this thread. It will give you and idea of why a lot of members opt for it. Do a search for 'extended draw bar' for more ideas.

By the way, welcome to the forum, plenty of other ideas here, too.

Thanks for the suggestions, looking forward to getting lots of tips and tricks as we enter the world of vanning.

BigSkiddy

May 7, 2013
Bargo NSW
That looks like an awesome setup @Bellbirdweb. Congratulations.

Only thing I would add is the Drifter Control Panel, I find it very useful, especially for monitoring your tank level and power usage. However make sure they don't mount it on the fridge wall. They did this with mine and it's in the perfect position for the heat from the fridge to affect the temperature gauge.:der:

Annex light on back wall is real handy.

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
That looks like an awesome setup @Bellbirdweb. Congratulations.

Only thing I would add is the Drifter Control Panel, I find it very useful, especially for monitoring your tank level and power usage. However make sure they don't mount it on the fridge wall. They did this with mine and it's in the perfect position for the heat from the fridge to affect the temperature gauge.:der:

Annex light on back wall is real handy.
Thanks bigskiddy, I was going to ask them to mount the control panel and hot weather switches above the fridge as there seemed to be an empty spot there, but I hadn't considered the heat.

What does the drifts panel give you that the standard panel doesn't ?

Other than having LCD display, it looked like having the same functions, so I didn't go for the drifta, but can still change if need be.

Graham

BigSkiddy

May 7, 2013
Bargo NSW
To be honest I'm not a hundred precent sure what the 'standard' panel is like to compare.
The Drifter does tell you how much power your using and how many hours you've got left in the battery if you continue that consumption. Also tells you how many amps you've got coming into the battery when charging.
Here's a link with all the features. http://manageyourbattery.com/au/shop/drifter.html

In regard to the position this is where mine is, you might be able to stick it on the door side instead. However you've got a 180L compared to my 150L, so it might be different. Basically if it was mounted 6 inches lower the heat wouldn't effect it.
_CES5733-25Nov2013-1297.jpg

BTW I just googled images of your van, that's a beast, what are you gonna use to tow it?

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
To be honest I'm not a hundred precent sure what the 'standard' panel is like to compare.
The Drifter does tell you how much power your using and how many hours you've got left in the battery if you continue that consumption. Also tells you how many amps you've got coming into the battery when charging.
Here's a link with all the features. http://manageyourbattery.com/au/shop/drifter.html

In regard to the position this is where mine is, you might be able to stick it on the door side instead. However you've got a 180L compared to my 150L, so it might be different. Basically if it was mounted 6 inches lower the heat wouldn't effect it.
View attachment 19724

BTW I just googled images of your van, that's a beast, what are you gonna use to tow it?
@BigSkiddy, that's great info, pity the dealer didn't give me that. I'll be upgrading to the drifta for sure !

I'll be towing it with our 2002 100 series Landcruiser which already has upgraded suspension and poly air bags (this is our first fan but we have been towing a horse float for a few years).

We are upgrading from a tent, but decided to 'go big' LOL

Reactions: BigSkiddy

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
Outside drop down tables are great. 2 would be good if they fit but make sure you tell them you might get an annexe one day, otherwise they may put the tables too far across to the right. Double external power point (from Sterling/Silverline).
Regarding the Cafe dinette with trifold bunk instead of fixed bunks, something just to consider is if you don't really need the dinette then it can be a waste of space (my opinion). We have a 16 with 3 kids and it never gets used. We all have different needs. If I had my time over I would go fixed bunk below but with the bed on hinges with gas struts (they can do it) so underneath is handy storage and you can still get tri fold bed above it, turns it into a day bed sort of. My wife would just have cupboards there (they can do that to) but I tell her that is a waste of space.
Gas bayonets are great and a few 12v points are handy and maybe an outdoor shower. Great first van.

Cheers Geoff

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
Outside drop down tables are great. 2 would be good if they fit but make sure you tell them you might get an annexe one day, otherwise they may put the tables too far across to the right. Double external power point (from Sterling/Silverline).
Regarding the Cafe dinette with trifold bunk instead of fixed bunks, something just to consider is if you don't really need the dinette then it can be a waste of space (my opinion). We have a 16 with 3 kids and it never gets used. We all have different needs. If I had my time over I would go fixed bunk below but with the bed on hinges with gas struts (they can do it) so underneath is handy storage and you can still get tri fold bed above it, turns it into a day bed sort of. My wife would just have cupboards there (they can do that to) but I tell her that is a waste of space.
Gas bayonets are great and a few 12v points are handy and maybe an outdoor shower. Great first van.

Cheers Geoff
G'Day Geoff,

Thanks for the tips.

We have looked at a few different options for the bunks, and we think it will most likely be used Asa. Day bed, but thinking forward to grand kids, we are thinking the cafe dinette could be a good little table for them.

Luckily we have ordered the biggest expanda there is, and most if the time there is only going to be 2 of us, so storage is probably not going to be a huge issue.

Other tips appreciated, thanks.

Graham