New Van Discussion Area

skippy

Jun 21, 2010
Butler/Perth WA
Hi there

I was thinking we should have a new van section so people can comment and ask questions on what extras they should consider when buying and also they can post picture of their new vans once they have purchased them.

Thanks

:wave:

Skip

WA

Doogle

Mar 18, 2011
Melbourne, Victoria
Is it feasable that different sections could be setup for the different size expanda models (as in 14 footers, 16 footers, 17 footers and 18 footers)?
That way discussions specific to say the 16 foot models are all in the one section instead of spread across a few broad sections???

Just an idea.

Dave

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Is it feasable that different sections could be setup for the different size expanda models (as in 14 footers, 16 footers, 17 footers and 18 footers)?
That way discussions specific to say the 16 foot models are all in the one section instead of spread across a few broad sections???

Just an idea.

Dave

Hi Dave, not trying to be argumentative but I personally would think this would be detrimental. There are so many posts that are relative to all vans and one may get lost in a sub forum depending how people use the site. I think of the way I use the Pajero forum it has 4 sections for various models and I only frequent the two latest models but quite often people post relative info in the others " upgrading to HID " etc.

My 2c

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....
www.expandasdownunder.com
How about this idea as a compromise....

Leave the forum the way it is but for each post give the user the option to select a tag for that post.

Say

18"
17"
16"
14"

Etc etc and then users when posting a thread they can classify it and then everyone else can view the threads relevant to them by filtering?

Doogle

Mar 18, 2011
Melbourne, Victoria
Hi Dave, not trying to be argumentative but I personally would think this would be detrimental. There are so many posts that are relative to all vans and one may get lost in a sub forum depending how people use the site. I think of the way I use the Pajero forum it has 4 sections for various models and I only frequent the two latest models but quite often people post relative info in the others " upgrading to HID " etc.

My 2c

Good pick-up Jim, I hadn't really considered that but you are correct. I guess I was more heading in the direction of separate sections per Expanda size where people could discuss things relevant to their van type/size (where the discussion was centred around things specific to that size van - not universal to Expandas in general)....but I guess the majority of what is discussed is universal.

I like Expanda's suggestion of tagging. At least that way you can filter by van size if you like to read things that relate to all vans or be more specific and narrow things down.

Moving beyond this (and apologies for going off on a tangent here), one thing I haven't found alot of on the net anywhere are decent walkthrough videos of the vans. There are numerous photos (many contained within this forum) but sometimes seeing it on video can give you a better sense of space or function.
Particularly when you have a van on order and are trying your best to wait patiently, photos sometimes just aren't enough and there aren't many videos to watch....which I'm sure many people would watch if they were out there and available.

When we get our van I hope to be able to do a walkthrough video of our van in the hope that it helps others to see the van (and some of the options) which might help people decide what to get when it's their time to order a van.
We have this amazing tool available to us (this forum) and the videos section could be filled with tutorials on different van options, WDH setups, brake controllers, driving mirrors, accessories, setup advice, maintenance advice, storage advice, etc. etc.

I, for one, encourage those with vans who have a video camera handy to pick something and put together a brief tutorial about a feature (or features) of their van (or an accessory) which they feel could add to the helpful support and advice found throughout this forum.

(now, back to the orginal subject)... :)

Dave

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....
The categories is a sinch to implement problem is all the post we already have won't be tagged but something we can change manually in the backend if required.

What does everyone else think about the categories?

Also should it be forced or optional?

GLX-R

Mar 9, 2011
Kyneton, Vic
Personally I think both have merits.

I read all the posts as ideas for one type of van can be just as relevant for mine.
Then again, being able to look at each type is also a good way to decide what is likely to be most relevant.

There, now I've sat on the fence, I think I should go out & get a job as a politician!

Stew

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
Both suggestions have merit but I personally would prefer them all to be under the one heading as, like Stew, I read all the posts. Even if they are of no consequence to me, I find them interesting and enjoy reading other peoples ideas and opinions.

Maybe when the forum grows to the size of some others it may be time to think about separating.

Paul

mfexpanda

Apr 1, 2011
Brookfield, Vic
Both suggestions have merit but I personally would prefer them all to be under the one heading as, like Stew, I read all the posts. Even if they are of no consequence to me, I find them interesting and enjoy reading other peoples ideas and opinions.

Maybe when the forum grows to the size of some others it may be time to think about separating.

Paul
I agree
what about a section for the Tug everyone uses ? we cant tow the expanda without it ? The Good ,the bad , etc ?

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....
Hi all, I have implemented this now.

When you got to post a new topic in the "Jayco Expanda Forums" you get the option to assign a prefix to your thread as follows.

18" Series
17" Series
16" Series
14" Series

Unfortunately without going back through every thread and assigning a pre fix it will only be applicable to new threads.

I also have not made this something you must select but if everyone agrees we should make this a forced field then I can change it.

Hope this helps!