New tug ordered.

Bmhdg76

Oct 6, 2012
North Lakes, Qld.
Evening all...

Well the finance for our Salary Sacrifice came through today so the order has been placed.

We have gone for the Fortuner GXL Manual in Graphite.
The colour may be an issue though as the dealer is going to have to go hunting for one for us. Plenty of auto's but bugger all manuals unless we want white or silver.
With the graphite, we have been told worst case we may have order from Mr Toyota which would mean a 3 month wait.
Playing with the possibility of the silver, but we normally aren't light coloured car people.

We haven't gone for too many options on it (seeing as there aren't too many out yet).
We have opted for:
  1. Genuine Toyota Tow Bar and wiring
  2. Redarc Tow Pro Elite
  3. Bonnet and headlight protectors
  4. 4x Weathershields

What I will do to it once we get it...

1. Full paint protection (probably going for Nanotech ceramic)
  2. Fabric and vinyl protection
  3. Tint front windows to match and put the uv protection film over the privacy tint (as I have been told not UV protected).
  4. Alloy bull bar (leaning towards the TJM - but will see what ARB comes up with.
  5. Safari Snorkel
  6. Dual battery system. Probably do most of that myself - again prob ARB/TJM tray with a Projecta IDC25 charger. Will just get the auto sparky to do the final wire up. Will wire it up with an - Anderson plug for solar panel as we have a portable panel we can use when camped.
  7. Engel sockets to rear cargo area (again sparky)
  8. Anderson plug at tow bar for Panda (sparky)
  9. Projecta DBM100 battery monitor (sparky)
  10. GME TX3550S UHF
  11. Ipad and iPhone holders

That is the plan at this stage and am champing at the bit to get it.
We are hoping that we get better fuel economy than the car I currently have and more power when towing to make it enjoyable to go camping again.

BJ

Last edited:

Smirke

May 9, 2014
Palmyra, WA
congrats. when you say GXL, do you mean the 200 or another type? If a 200, can I ask why a manual?

NoWorries

Sep 28, 2015
Perth
www.expandasdownunder.com
Congrats
I just received mine but it is Auto,
You wont need a second tray as the Tug already has two batteries in the frount (unless you want a third but i don't think you could squeeze it in the bonnet) They are only 530cca so I have replace mine with two Delkor M27 ones they are not isolated but most people put a basic Redarc SB12 or similar.
Don't order the Safari snorkel unless they guaranty that it is for the 2016 model (fender has changed)

Smirke

May 9, 2014
Palmyra, WA
Congrats
I just received mine but it is Auto,
You wont need a second tray as the Tug already has two batteries in the frount (unless you want a third but i don't think you could squeeze it in the bonnet) They are only 530cca so I have replace mine with two Delkor M27 ones they are not isolated but most people put a basic Redarc SB12 or similar.
Don't order the Safari snorkel unless they guaranty that it is for the 2016 model (fender has changed)
Safari one has just arrived. Mine gets installed the 21/5.

Reactions: dagree

Bmhdg76

Oct 6, 2012
North Lakes, Qld.
Been mulling overnight on the color choice. Kind of being swayed to go the silver now as have seen a pic with the TJM bar and snorkel and looks a nice rig...

image.png image.jpeg

Thinking of scratches etc and will show up less dirt so less washing or feeling guilty for not washing!

Bj

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
www.expandasdownunder.com
congrats mate I gather weights all ok.. Be a nice setup with all of that gear...
Colour 3 months to wait quicker then a new Jayco. I get silver or white hate waiting. We went white again wanted grey, as the D3 and D4 shape the same I do not think anyone noticed we got a new car :)

Bmhdg76

Oct 6, 2012
North Lakes, Qld.
Is that because like me you or your wife drive white cars with "Stickers" for work.......
No... but my brother does. Well actually he used to but for a while now drives the ones without the "stickers". Plus three uncles (one deceased and the other two retired) and a cousin!

As for my wife - She just hates white!

BJ

Reactions: The Goodwins

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Well no pictures okay, I just washed mine and want to feel happy about it for a little bit longer..............................

Reactions: Smirke

Bmhdg76

Oct 6, 2012
North Lakes, Qld.
Picked up last night and absolutely love it. Getting paint protection and extra tinting done today. Hopefully pics if not too dark when i get home but more likely to be on the weekend.

Fuel economy on my first run (Eco mode) which was 5klm 100klm/hr highway then HEAVY stop start for half an hour 8.4l/100 by the computer. The computer on the Challenger would have been around 14/100 (and accurate). Will wait and see when I actually fill up for the first time what we are truly getting and how accurate the dash is.

BJ.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Exciting times for sure, computer fuel figures really need to run for 1K to get real world outcomes, I can get my Colorado to show 3l/100km, real world is nowhere near it but don't worry about fuel figures or other stuff, someone always has something better (they don't really) get out and enjoy it, use it, get it dirty don't worry about bling though, too much bling means retirement can be put back and trust me you don't want that........................................................just be too busy having fun to take pics............................(Sshhh, I'm allowed to go boat hunting this weekend so I might be as happy as you)

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
Woo hoo!

Let the purse strings be lifted enough to find and get a good tinny.

There are always lots advertised along that coast.

Good luck.

:emptybath::emptybath:

Bmhdg76

Oct 6, 2012
North Lakes, Qld.
Ok well here is a pic ...

IMG_2340 (1).jpg

They did an excellent job of the paint protection and tinting!
Now to continue on with the research for items and wait for them to come to market.
To be honest I love the front the way it is and swmbo doesn't want a bull bar, but really want the protection from our wildlife as they even bound around the streets at home here and meed somewhere to mount my UHF aerial and spotties.

I love how the stereo can show me the weather and radar!

IMG_2341 (small).jpg

Exciting times for sure, computer fuel figures really need to run for 1K to get real world outcomes, I can get my Colorado to show 3l/100km, real world is nowhere near it but don't worry about fuel figures or other stuff, someone always has something better (they don't really) get out and enjoy it, use it, get it dirty don't worry about bling though, too much bling means retirement can be put back and trust me you don't want that........................................................just be too busy having fun to take pics............................(Sshhh, I'm allowed to go boat hunting this weekend so I might be as happy as you)

I plan on using it and the Expanda a lot more than the once a year trip we currently do.
To be honest I hated driving the Challenger and even hated towing with it more - so that is the main reason why we didn't use it much.
Any fuel below the 13-14L/100 i was using around town in the Challenger has to be better!

BJ

Reactions: davemc and Drover