New member Expanda model 57.37 speedygp

speedygp

Jan 29, 2014
Canberra
Hi all,
new to this forum, it`s full of great tips, projects, things to buy and things to avoid- great work!
We`ve had our Expanda for over 3 years now- best thing we`ve ever bought. So far have done a few minor mods- underslung axle conversion, 2nd gasbottle bracket and drop down legs (not fitted in this old pic)
I`ve got a couple of questions :
1. The compliance plate lists Model 57.37 and 7/05 build, I gather from previous posts that the .37 means 3.7 metres or 14ft, is that correct?
2. I`d like to wire it up with the usual solar panels for bush camping- I think we have a transformer, and that the internal lights are 12v, but don`t appear to have a battery within the caravan- I`m assuming I can fit solar panels , battery and regulator, and feed straight in to the existing set up? Any hints or direction would be appreciated.
Thanks
Greg

DSCF3032.JPG

Reactions: Smergen

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
G'day @speedygp, welcome to the forum. I believe by the photo you have a 14.44.? The '14' indicates a 14 footer and the '44' means 4.4 metres or around 14 feet, so I don't know where the 57.37 comes in. We had a 14.44.3 before swapping to our 17.56.9 Journey (a 17 footer or 5.6 metres) and the battery was in the base of the wardrobe but back in 2005 maybe they did not have batteries fitted. I presume the van has a Setek power supply which will have a transformer for the 12v lights and water pump. There are some gurus on the forum who will be able to help with the finer points of wiring up for solar but it will be more difficult to fit panels to the roof as opposed to using a folding portable panel.

If you can post a photo of your compliance plate we may be able to help define your model type

speedygp

Jan 29, 2014
Canberra
Thanks chartrock,
compliance pic attached, I had to "enhance" the stamped numbers please excuse my chook scratchings in paint!
On my model I have no elec pump, only an arm operated one. The model number as stamped reads 57.37-2 Thanks for your help

jayco compliance enhanced detail compliance plate.jpg

boots33

Jun 25, 2011
Maudsland Gold Coast Hinterland Qld
2. I`d like to wire it up with the usual solar panels for bush camping- I think we have a transformer, and that the internal lights are 12v, but don`t appear to have a battery within the caravan- I`m assuming I can fit solar panels , battery and regulator, and feed straight in to the existing set up? Any hints or direction would be appreciated.
Thanks
Greg
Hi and welcome

Fitting a battery is a pretty common mod. have a look at this thread to get you started. If you need more help it might be best to start a new thread with something about help fitting a battery as the topic. Lots of helpful people here :)