Suspension New Jtech questions

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
I have been checking under our new Journey OB and am wondering about the purpose of the webbing around the shock absorbers.
DSC_8622.JPG DSC_8623 copy.jpg
The webbing is clamped (loosely) top and bottom with a bulge in the middle as in the 1st pic. Having pulled the webbing down to remove the bulge (2nd pic)there is only about 40 mm of clearance for the shock to move down. This will obviously not affect the upward travel of the suspension but will stop the downward travel.
Is this a desirable effect and how did a couple of members have the wires of their brakes pulled apart if the downward travel is limited to 40 mm?
A few more underside pics, one showing they have not done anything about the "rats nest" of wiring and the flimsy sheet of metal protecting it.
DSC_8627.JPG DSC_8626.JPG DSC_8624.JPG DSC_8625.JPG

crackacoldie

Jan 8, 2013
Newcastle NSW
The strap is intended to restrict downward movement of the suspension, effectively to stop the shock over-extending beyond the length of the spring.

Reactions: Simon

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
The strap is intended to restrict downward movement of the suspension, effectively to stop the shock over-extending beyond the length of the spring.

What he said.

It is not as good as using chain but quieter I d imagine. Also allows the shocks to be provided as a sub assembly with the straps fitted from the supplier. I would imagine the brake wires that have been pulled would be a case of poor assembly at the jayco factory. You have seen the video how they do it? It's not MVI (motor vehicle industry) standard assembly, yet.

Paul wait until you do a really tight turn on Tarmac and watch the angles the wheels and suspension arms stress too, you will be stressing too!

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
Thanks for the answers guys. Makes a bit of sense now.
Paul wait until you do a really tight turn on Tarmac and watch the angles the wheels and suspension arms stress too, you will be stressing too!
Now you have me guessing. What do I have to look forward to? :noidea: I have not had a dual axle before so I am a real newbie.:ballchain:

Billrw136

Jun 20, 2011
North Rothbury

Now you have me guessing. What do I have to look forward to? :noidea: I have not had a dual axle before so I am a real newbie.:ballchain:
Just like me a few months ago! You will be fine Paul. By the way I am still not convinced about the shower bracket - I am making up a block to put between bracket and underside of pop top frame - will post photo when done......

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011

Just imagine the front wheel with 1.5-2deg of neg camber and the rear wheel with 1.5-2 deg of positive ......at the same time.:eek-53:

Reactions: chartrock

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
jee wizz you guys should see a tri axle trailer with 20+ ton doing a U turn, now that is movement

I never noticed a truck trailer move like this. Obviously there's huge forces on a loaded truck trailer but being a beam/solid axle (like many std 4 wheel vans) they don't move in the camber like the JTech system does. Really is something to see.