New Cruiser

Lonnie

Oct 24, 2016
Ulladulla
Well new to us. Finally found a tug to tow the new expanda which will hopefully arrive next month. We settled on a 2008 GXL which happened to have KDSS so I was pretty happy with that. Less than 100000 on the clock and in really good condition. My question is, has anyone had the lovells gvm upgrade? How did it ride when not towing. We will need to get it anyway but just wondering how rough it will be?

Reactions: yabbietol

yabbietol

Sep 2, 2014
Queanbeyan NSW
Well new to us. Finally found a tug to tow the new expanda which will hopefully arrive next month. We settled on a 2008 GXL which happened to have KDSS so I was pretty happy with that. Less than 100000 on the clock and in really good condition. My question is, has anyone had the lovells gvm upgrade? How did it ride when not towing. We will need to get it anyway but just wondering how rough it will be?

Strongly suggest you join the LCOOL forum it is full of really useful LC200 info. I am pretty sure after market GVM suspension upgrade is possible for the KDSS, but be aware as well the cost of the suspension bits you will be up for an engineers certification. I am told it can cost between $600 to $1000 just for the certification depending on where you get it done in NSW.

I have had my GX suspension (not KDSS) upgraded, but not engineer certified as I do not need the GVM increase, but wanted the improved ride. In my opinion the standard ride is too soft and a bit too limo like (even the KDSS) this softness is at the expense of handling and dirt road driving. Also suggest you look around at other options besides Lovells. There are many alternative suspension set ups out there, my suspension is Aussie Ryder shocks and Carroll's (King's) Springs all Australian made, which was good value and works well. Adding a set of Firestone or polyair bags in the rear coils is also a good mod for towing, but not essential.

Note, if you change ride height by more than about 50mm be prepared for some additional costs, in particular with KDSS, the standard ride height is pretty good, unless you are into extreme 4WD.

Suggest you have a bit of a read of my thread in tow vehicles on this forum and if you have any questions pm me.

Reactions: bigcol

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
I am pretty sure after market GVM suspension upgrade is possible for the KDSS

I was told the initial weight of a LC200 with or without the KDSS was very different
and the payload was smaller in the KDSS because of the extra weight

hence why I thought you could not do it.........

I will stand corrected

Lonnie

Oct 24, 2016
Ulladulla
It seems like such a minefield! I will look at joining the forum, thanks for the tip @yabbietol. To be honest, I really don't know where to start, not a lot of experience with any of this. Don't plan on doing any extreme 4WD, only need the upgrade as with 4 kids and towing a 20.64 there is no way we can remain within the payload limits of the car even if we don't have any luggage in it. I know lots of friends of our who don't care but we just want to be legal if we were to ever get checked.

yabbietol

Sep 2, 2014
Queanbeyan NSW
I went to a local place, Align Right in Queanbeyan where I got the work done and was pleased with their knowledge, the price and the final outcome. Ultimate suspension at Ingleburn (they also install complete LC200 suspensions) in SW Sydney suppled the shocks. It may be worth giving both of them a ring and having a chat I found them both easy to talk to and ask questions. They also seemed better value than some others, the fitting takes less than a day.

GVM Certification aftermarket is possible, but does cost and is worth shopping around for; I also suggest try to leave the height as close to standard as possible this will save $.

PS Ultimate have a useful web site
http://ultimatesuspension.com.au

Last edited:

peterg

Jan 17, 2015
warrnambool
Just keep in mind a gvm upgrade doesn't change gcm (gross combined mass). The gvm only applies to the cruiser.

I've got lovells in my cruiser. Medium stiffness springs I'm told. With a 220kg ball load I don't need a wdh. Ride is ok but on the firm side. Rides better with the van on.

Lonnie

Oct 24, 2016
Ulladulla
Has anyone had any experience with the old man emu or pedders upgrade? Seems like they are the only ones remotely close to me.

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Try Greentree's at Windsor he did ours Pre regs and a mates 200 post regos. Cost was about the same. If you can find a engineer the actual cost of the parts is a lot cheaper. Lovell's charge a premium. Also now it's ridiculously expensive but with a Lovell's gvm upgrade you can now get a Lovell's towing upgrade as well!

Kdss makes no difference.

Toyota did not list a combined towing mass before 2015 so increase your GVM and it increases your combined towing mass too cause prior to 2015 Toyota states towing mass is GVM plus towing allowance. As about you can upgrade it anyway all you need is $$$$$$$$$$

yabbietol

Sep 2, 2014
Queanbeyan NSW
Has anyone had any experience with the old man emu or pedders upgrade? Seems like they are the only ones remotely close to me.
I had a bad experience with Pedder's which I will not go into, over 20+ years ago and will not use them. After 20 years they may have changed, but you usually only get one chance to mess me around and then I move on. Old man emu may be OK, but I am wary of them as I am not sure where they are made (China?) and how well they are made. I am sure others will have some constructive comments. Aussie Ryder shocks this time (decision based on info from this forum and LCOOL) is the first time in four different 4WD that I have not used Bilsteins and Lovell's springs, but Bilsteins are getting very expensive. Good suspension info on LCOOL forum.

It is only a short drive from South Coast to SW Sydney, why not take a look at Ultimate Suspension, we like ours and I hear a lot of good stuff about them. Even if they messed myself and installer around with delivery to Queanbeyan by using a cheapo NOT overnight courier. If you go to Ingleburn for install, they can not mess you around with cheapo couriers and they can do install in their workshop. There is also a 4WD workshop in Goulburn who do good work and probably would install what suspension you want, after they try to sell you the brand suspension they like.

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
when I brought my Ultimate Suspension, they were using De Carbon as the basis for the Gibson Ryder and Monroe for the Aussie Ryder
(way way back in the dark ages - 1990)
as I said, turned my FJ55 from a pig to go around corners, to the same as my HX Premier (not much I know..........:)

not sure who or what now days they are using, but they are definitely on the top of the list for the next time I have to do a suspension change

Lonnie

Oct 24, 2016
Ulladulla
Thanks everyone. Ultimate suspension seems to have a good reputation, happy to travel for the right gear so will give them a call tomorrow. Can't thank you all enough for all the information and knowledge, especially for someone who came into this not knowing much. Such a great forum to be part of.

Lonnie

Oct 24, 2016
Ulladulla
So spoke to the guy from ultimate suspension today. He was saying that if you have an 8 seater car, then you have to allow 80kg per seat even if no one is in them. So that's 640kg off a 600kg payload before we even tow anything! Does anyone know this to be true? His feeling was that if we wanted to tow the van we would have no choice but to get the lovells kit as it gives an extra 450kg and the ultimate only gives us an extra 280kg. I can't seem to find any information on this.

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
So spoke to the guy from ultimate suspension today. He was saying that if you have an 8 seater car, then you have to allow 80kg per seat even if no one is in them. So that's 640kg off a 600kg payload before we even tow anything! Does anyone know this to be true? His feeling was that if we wanted to tow the van we would have no choice but to get the lovells kit as it gives an extra 450kg and the ultimate only gives us an extra 280kg. I can't seem to find any information on this.
Not sure if this is correct, but we actually remove the 3rd row of seats from our 100 series when we travel, so that will give you 240kg's back