Needing info on Brake switch 2012 Pathfinder

rojoberry

Mar 16, 2012
Pakenham Victoria
Hi all just brought a new Pathfinder and have wired up a P3 Tekonsha brake controller but I got stumped when I had a look at the brake switch. That's because there are 2 brake switch's so I'm now unsure which wire on what switch I need to attach the wire from the controller to please your help would be great. I just want to use my new tug.

Ligedy

Oct 13, 2012
Mackay
Sounds like a similar setup on the Navara (two switches on the brake pedal arm).

Sure way will be to use a test light to confirm which wire is energised when the pedal is moved.

Mine was in the white plug / switch closest to the floor (I can't see which one of the four wires I connected it to as it's all wrapped up now).

image.jpg

rojoberry

Mar 16, 2012
Pakenham Victoria
Sounds like a similar setup on the Navara (two switches on the brake pedal arm).

Sure way will be to use a test light to confirm which wire is energised when the pedal is moved.

Mine was in the white plug / switch closest to the floor (I can't see which one of the four wires I connected it to as it's all wrapped up now).

View attachment 13805
Thanks for that I have tested that swith and there are 2 wires that light up once the brake pedal is activatted I will have another look over the whole job today, as I had run the hot wire for the fridge so as it is isolated when the ignition is off and also the video cable for the monitor that I mount on the instrument cluster. Every thing else works except for the brake controller.

icetechaus

Nov 21, 2012
Evidently 1 of them is for the cruise control. The easy way to work out which one you aant is to unplug one of them. If the bdake lights come on it means that the one that is still plugged in is your brake light switch. If the brake lights don't come on it's thd one you disconnected.

Ligedy

Oct 13, 2012
Mackay
Thanks for that I have tested that swith and there are 2 wires that light up once the brake pedal is activatted I will have another look over the whole job today, as I had run the hot wire for the fridge so as it is isolated when the ignition is off and also the video cable for the monitor that I mount on the instrument cluster. Every thing else works except for the brake controller.

Correct and either one will do the trick (on the Navara (Spanish built) it is yellow or red wire) because all this wire does is signal the P3 that you've put on the brakes. I.e. the P3 works its magic and applies varying voltage with the power feed direct from your battery (A varying signal is not picked up from the brake switch wire).

...Be sure that you wired up the colours as per the instruction's wiring draigram (black is not earth, red ain't positive...)... Quickest way to fry your P3 :( (seen it done a few time before...)

What specifically is it that isn't working?

rojoberry

Mar 16, 2012
Pakenham Victoria
Thanks for the info but I did not check this yesterday. I went over my work starting with the brake switch only to fine that if you wire the trailer plug correctly and put the active wire in position 5 the P3 will actually work surprise surprise. So thank you for your help.

rojoberry

Mar 16, 2012
Pakenham Victoria
Evidently 1 of them is for the cruise control. The easy way to work out which one you aant is to unplug one of them. If the bdake lights come on it means that the one that is still plugged in is your brake light switch. If the brake lights don't come on it's thd one you disconnected.
Thanks for the suggestion I have solved the problem.