Suspension My cheap TPMS purchase and fault finding

jazzeddie1234

May 19, 2016
Mandurah
Seeing as I'm about to head off on another trip over dirt roads, I thought about investing in a TPMS to watch over my aging tyres. I bought one of these on amazon for 30 bucks.
iu

And it all seemed to work ok when I installed the external sensors on the valve stems. Except I'm in the habit of checking stuff with soapy water and got this on all sensors
2020-01-30 11.23.12.jpg
The seller refunded me the money so I decided to see if I could fix them. The circuit board has the sensor mounted underneath and it is supposed to seal against a rubber washer
2020-02-04 09.55.51.jpg
The washer had no impression of the sensor on it so I filed the mounting posts down with a sanding block and reassembled. Now the board sits flush with the plastic body
2020-02-04 09.53.41.jpg
And a retest showed no leaks!

BTW: I bought 2 sets so I could monitor the tug and van. That was far cheaper than any 8 wheel monitor and the receiver seems to pick up the van tyres just fine. The second monitor display is mounted with Velcro so it's easy to remove.

The only downside with this cheap set? The external sensor battery covers are not locked in place by the stem locking nut like the more expensive sensors which have a second locking ring. And I have to remove 8 of them when airing down...and up...

Geoff83

Apr 22, 2015
Perth
Nice work
Looking to do the same running a set on both car and van but was thinking there may be signal clashes with two sets

Fallen

Feb 7, 2019
WA
I have one of these, didn't have the leaking issue but have been impressed so far. Accuracy might be a bit out but can still tell in the increases cold to warm is within spec (ie you've set the initial pressure right), plus pressure loss alarms seem to work well.

RickB

Jul 22, 2017
Vic
The instructions are a bit vague as to how to pair the sensors.
Could you please detail the procedure for me?
Thanks.

jazzeddie1234

May 19, 2016
Mandurah
There are several variations on pairing so I suggest searching youtube for "pairing tpms sensor' to find one that matches yours. It's mostly about finding the pairing menu, selecting the wheel position, and pressurising the sensor. Some videos are not in english but you can follow the steps.

Example

Watch the flashing tyre being selected before pairing

millers

Mar 25, 2011
Adelaide
Also add TPMS, 10 tyre system to monitor car, caravan and spares. Unit monitors up to 22 tyres, basically a truck setup just pair what you have and when the caravan is connected push some buttons and the caravan is monitored as well. A few alarms some due to me setting too low 1 indicating that one of the caravan tyres was low and causing the other to work harder and increase in temp. Issue was the installation of the sensor so tightened it up and all good.

Currently being used in a trip from Adelaide, Esperence, Albany, Wave Rock, Kalgoorlie and back to Adelaide.

jazzeddie1234

May 19, 2016
Mandurah
Adelaide, Esperence, Albany, Wave Rock, Kalgoorlie
Wow that's a fair amount of driving to get started but great locations with plenty of free camps in between. Kal has a free 24hr , norseman's 24 is good, and wave rock has nearby free camps if you are not planning to stay a while or on a tight budget. Also the drive and free camping from norseman direct to wave rock is great but all (well maintained ) dirt road if you are into that.

Reactions: chartrock