Mitsubishi Triton

summer01

Jan 25, 2013
We are considering purchasing a Mitsubishi Triton to tow our jayco expanda16.49.1. We currently tow with a toyota kluger but feel we need something a bit stronger. Would appreciate any feedback from triton owners as to how they tow and whether to go for manual or auto. Thanks so much.

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....
www.expandasdownunder.com
Manual is always going to be easier to tow with in regards to selecting gears so the biggest question would be more wether you plan on using the car around town as a daily as well?

Auto's are always going to add around 10% to your fuel bill over a manual as well...

For me personally I have any auto pathfinder and find it perfectly fine towing 2+ tonne with and wouldn't have a manual as we use the car as a daily as well.

In terms of the triton they are a very respectful tow rig but there is a few triton owners who tow with them will no doubt chime in.

I like the triton and as much as I prefer the Mazda Ill probably end up with a triton on a run out sale.

They are going for 32k - 36k new in autos at the moment brand new run 2012 models.

What about a mitsubshi challenger??

Reactions: summer01

summer01

Jan 25, 2013
we will be keeping our 7 seater auto kluger for daily around town driving. So would you say go for manual triton?. We have been towing with the auto kluger and just find the auto struggling with hills. Not sure if its because its auto or if its because we are towing close to the 2t capacity of the kluger. On the flat highway its fine at a steady speed. We are after a dual cab ute to throw kids bikes into back, beach gear etc when we go away on holidays. With the kluger we are finding we have to leave some of the bikes at home as there is no where to put them. Which we really miss :)

The Alberto

Oct 19, 2012
Rockhampton QLD
I sold our 2010 GLXR Triton Manual in September last year. Owned it from new and towed our 18 57 6 with it for probably around 10,000k. Only had 38,000k on it when I sold it. Ok as a tow vehicle, but being a 2.5l engine, even though the power figures on paper are good, it just lacks.

Also jump on www.newtriton.net there are major problems with the diesels and carbon. Mine went back to the dealer 28 times in the 2 years we owned it. It had multiple suction control valves replaced, multiple miscellaneous engine sensors, new ecu, new steering column, complete new set of injectors, new SRS module and the list goes on. True I may have got a lemon, but the triton forum will indicate that I am far from Robinson Crusoe.

If I was buying a new ute today and needed more than the 2250kg that the hilux offers, it would be a Ranger or a BT-50 hands down. I drove both before buying the Prado last year and was very impressed.

Remember the auto and the engine in the Triton are nothing like what is in the Pajero, so you really can't compare the two. There is a reason you can get a Triton so cheap these days and not just because of 2012 run outs.

Hope this helps.

Deano

Aug 10, 2011
Bargara, Qld
Um, Summer01, we have no drama with the Triton. It's Auto and stock standard. We use a WDH as well.
Cheers Dean
4c83e2b9.jpg

Attachments

• 4c83e2b9.jpg
    4c83e2b9.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 256

Alan

Feb 3, 2012
Altona Vic
My mate just sold his new Triton after only one long trip to Q'ld as it required constant concentration while towing his 23 ft full van. To long a span between rear wheels and tow bar makes them unstable. He bought a recon'ed Toyota Cruiser which tows it much better.

The Alberto

Oct 19, 2012
Rockhampton QLD
Um, Summer01, we have no drama with the Triton. It's Auto and stock standard. We use a WDH as well.
Cheers Dean

I never said it wouldn't tow it. I am merely pointing out that they have documented issues, which I have experienced first hand, and that IMHO there are better options available as a tug. I'm just passing on information gathered by personal experience. If yours has been OK that's great! Mine was absolutely exceptional for 14,000k, then the problems started, and ususally following a trip towing the van. Co-incidence?

Here's ours hitched up as well for prosperity.....

DSC_7222 - comp.jpg

AJC
Yes, but a chip n 2.75 inch exhaust frees them right up.
Whilst the Ford / Mazda are good, Triton is still the only Jap ute with constant 4wd which is very important for towing, especially on wet roads, gravel etc.
All the rest are simple part time 4wd and whilst stability control n other electronic trickery helps them, its 2nd class to a centre diff! And Triton has the electronic stuff as well.

From what I have seen and read, there are as many if not more bad chipping experiences with the 2.5L than good. Plus there is still the carbon issue as well as the fact that with a chip you are pushing a little 2.5 even harder. As for the constant 4x4, I assume you are referring to the Super Select gearbox which is only available on the GLXR? I read and was told by the dealer that this is not to be used on dry bitumen - only for dirt and when wet. Yes this is a great safety feature which I used many times, but it hardly makes it a "Fulltime 4x4". Plus I did around 6,000k in June/July last year on dirt roads (not towing), FNQ roads where there is 50 odd k of dirt and then a few k of bitumen for overtaking. Mitsubishi states that you can change into and out of Super Select up to 100kph, so everytime I got to the bitumen I dropped my speed to 80kph (just to be safe) before the dirt ended and changed back to normal 2wd, sometimes it changed (with a bang felt through the car) however more often the lights just blinked at me and it remainined in AWD no matter what I tried short of pulling up. Locking the Central diff ensures that 50% drive goes to the front and back wheels, essentially "4WD High Range" rather than AWD which I think from memory is about 70% rear and 30% front. Plus, correct me if I am wrong, but safety wise the Triton still only scores a 4 star rating with ANCAP.

Please don't take this the wrong way, I am not knocking anyone's personal choice, I really like the Triton design - hell I bought one too! Also, IMO, it is by far and away the best looking 4x4 dual cab ute on the market, the price is great and the inclusions were class leading back in 2010/2011, but to be honest, the overall build quality and engine is severely lacking in comparison to some of their direct competitors. I'm not saying don't buy one, I'm just relaying my 2 and a half year experience with owning the car and using it to tow the van, 4WDriving and as a daily driver.

crackacoldie

Jan 8, 2013
Newcastle NSW
I run 2 Tritons at one of my sites. Biggest mistake buying them, need 2 as one is always at the dealers being repaired. Turbo issues, carbon issues, auto electrical issues. Both are as bad as one another.

I have recently swapped my Hilux for a PX Ranger auto, towed our 16.49-3 perfectly from Coffs to Pt Stephens and back to the Barossa, averaging 18l/100 at 110k/ph.

Cheers

Cracka

coled1970

May 27, 2012
Hunter Valley, Newcastle
We have the 3.2 ML which had a couple of small issues when first purchased, have since fitted a steinbaur chip and EGR mod and have had no problems. Tows van very well our trip to Lightning Ridge we averaged between 18 litres 100k's sitting on 100.

Reactions: Ch00ka77

gspy4u

Apr 27, 2012
Ipswich
We have the 3.2 ML which had a couple of small issues when first purchased, have since fitted a steinbaur chip and EGR mod and have had no problems. Tows van very well our trip to Lightning Ridge we averaged between 18 litres 100k's sitting on 100.

:dizzy: ouch 18/100 I was very happy with the prado's being 15's/100 sitting on the speed limits being 100 or 110 or whatever.

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
DON'T DO IT TO YOURSELF!

Buy something other than a Mitsubishi... you'll be doing youself a favor. I've had my Challenger for just over 18months and I hate it with a passion due to the issues I've had. My car kept dying and having to be towed - dealer advised me to add injector adative to every second tank unless I only fill up using Caltex premium diesel. The paint is not great and any bugs or tar that hit the front mark the paint and cannot be removed without serious buffing(I take pride in my things and this really annoys me). Tanks are no big enough and the engine is way too thirsty for a vehicle of its size.

They lack power and ride like a bucket of crap, don't get me started on the hard internal plastics and poor fit and finish either.

Will i buy another Mitsubishi??? NO... would i recommend one... definately NOT!

Are you talking Challengers or Mitsubishis? 33,000K's on the Paj so far and loving it!

Cheers.

The Alberto

Oct 19, 2012
Rockhampton QLD
I have found, from personal experience, the funny thing about Mitsubishi's is that people seem to either love them or hate them - I have not found too many that lie in between. I've also found that most pure blood Mitsubishi owners will defend their car like it's their first born child!

The Challenger is essentially a Triton Wagon without the leaf sprung rear. The engine is the same and fitout is almost identical. Unfortunately for me, I bought a dog, and sounds like Swift12 did as well, but there seems to be as many people with great cars as poor ones - the trouble is the percentage of bad ones. As I have said before, in my opinion the Tritons are by far the best looking 4x4 utes on the market, they are very capeable and they have some great design features - GLXR Super Select etc. and the Uni Joint puts the one in the Hilux to shame. It's just a pity the build quality doesn't match the warrany, features and price. If you get a good one, you really are on a winner for the price and inclusions, however if you are unlucky enough to get an ordinary one, the hits will just keep coming.

Also, even though the Triton and the Pajero are both made by Mitsubishi, I think it is a little unfair to compare the two, they really are cheese and chalk. If the Triton and Challenger got the Engine and transmission, as well as some of the interior / overall build from the Pajero - I think it would be a completely different story and I would still own the Triton.

Oh What a Feeling!!