Mitsubishi Pajero 2009

AdJo

May 13, 2013
Hi all in Expanda land

It's been a long time between drinks in Expanda land for me but I am turning back to you guys for help and advice once again. You guys have given me very good advice in the past that I have acted on so I thought you might be able to help me out again.

I am looking at a new tow tug. At the moment I am looking at a particular 2009 Mitsubishi Pajero NT GLX Turbo Diesel 3.2 litre.

I am not only looking for advice on capability but also specs. I have looked on the Mitsubishi website to find the towing specs. It says the maximum towing capacity with trailer brakes is 3000kg. Maximum tow ball down load is 180kg but then goes on to say Maximum tow ball down load when towed weight is 2500kg or less is 250kg.

Now my take on this is that because we have a 2013 16.49.4 with a Gross Weight of 1956kg and a tow ball weight of 210kg that we should be ok. What is your thoughts?

Another consideration is that these specs are for a 2015 model. I can't find a 2009 Pajero spec. What is your thoughts on this also?

Axl

Dec 23, 2014
Brisbane/Bayside
@AdJo you will have no dramas towing the wieghts you have mentioned with the Pajero. I'm on my second Paj and currently have a 2010 petrol V6 auto and my Expanda has very similar wieghts to what you have said above and I have no worries.

My dad has a 2013 turbo diesel auto and after driving mine he recons the turbo diesel has more punch so you will be fine:D, boody good tugs the Pajero's

Oh yeah and the tow specs for the 09/10 models are the same as the current ones;).

Bushman

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Wollondilly Shire NSW
they are a great tow vehicle, Just ensure it is a NT model which came in mid 09 with the current tow specs,250/2500kg 180/3000kg (which dose let it down a bit) if it's the previous NS model tow specs are 250/2500kg

Reactions: Axl

Axl

Dec 23, 2014
Brisbane/Bayside
The other thing I would suggest is the use of a WDH, when dad put his 16.55 Discovery (similar tow ball weight to as mentioned) on the back of his NW for the first time it scarred the bejesus out of him the way it wallowed, he fitted a WDH and all is fine.

I have upgraded suspension on my NT with H/P airbags and whilst it tows the Expanda ok without a WDH I went out and brought one anyway as Mitsubishi recommends using one with a tow ball weight over 135kg form memory. I haven’t used it as yet but I am sure it will only make the way the Paj tows better.

The Pajero is an exteremly capable vehicle for what they cost, the Pajero forum is a good place for info on these vehicles here is a link to the NT section http://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=-1&f=40

Reactions: Bushman

yabbietol

Sep 2, 2014
Queanbeyan NSW
Great vehicle very comfortable and lots of power. Nice to drive and good tow vehicle as long as you are under 2500kg ATM. Over 2500Kg (up to 3000kg) they are quite capable, but as you are aware ball weight drops to max of 180Kg which can be difficult to achieve.
The below two points may cause some discussion:
1. It is recommended by Mitsubishi to tow in 4WD High (Card in pocket on sun-visor or sticker on door). This reduces the wear on the rear tyres and redistributes the tow load more evenly across all 4 wheels and both diffs. My experience is that towing in 2WD in a Pajero causes more wear on rear tyres than it should, so 4WD H should solve this problem.
2. If it is an auto Pajero it is easier on the auto gear box to generally tow in 4th gear (manually selected) not D, towing in D is ok, but it makes the gear box work harder and get a bit warmer.

There is much discussion about these two points on the Pajero Forum (well worth reading for new owners) and the consensus is 4WDH and manually select 4th gear is optimal for towing. The power band for the diesel is around 2000rpm so with 4th gear (and 4WD H) this means you sit between 90km and 100Km on level ground. This will usually give you the best economy. The Pajero will easily tow at higher speeds, but economy suffers.

So if your van ATM (tare weight plus payload) is below 2500Kg and ball weight below 250Kg you should be fine towing.

Note: there has been a recall for a nylon bush on the timing chain for most Pajeros once the Pajero is over 100Km (sometimes before) it can cause a serious failure of the timing chain and then of course the engine. Mitsubishi has been good about this contacting owners and doing the work for free. So I strongly suggest you check with a dealer that this recall work has been done (my NW is booked in to get this checked in early April).

Regards
Terry

Reactions: 17triton and Axl

twscoot

Jun 9, 2013
Brisbane
An excellent tow vehicle. We had ours for almost five years towing our 16.49-2 at around 1850kg ATM and probably close to 180kg towball weight.
Here I have a close up of the weight distribution hitch setup.
I never used airbags. Didn't feel I needed them. Great truck.

AdJo

May 13, 2013
Hi guys, this is Jo, Adam's wife. thanks so much for your replies to Adam, i'm sure he will get back to you asap. In the mean time i was also wanting to add that we came across a recall "Due to inappropriate structure of the engine timing chain tensioner. Timing chain may break" This is for 10/10/2006 - 10/03/2014 with VIN No's JMFLNV98WJ000101- 000862.
Have any of you heard about this and had any problems. This makes me wary to buy a Person Sale as we wouldn't know if this has been looked at. Any thoughts for me whilst Adam is at Work?

17triton

Feb 24, 2013
Ballarat
Hi guys, this is Jo, Adam's wife. thanks so much for your replies to Adam, i'm sure he will get back to you asap. In the mean time i was also wanting to add that we came across a recall "Due to inappropriate structure of the engine timing chain tensioner. Timing chain may break" This is for 10/10/2006 - 10/03/2014 with VIN No's JMFLNV98WJ000101- 000862.
Have any of you heard about this and had any problems. This makes me wary to buy a Person Sale as we wouldn't know if this has been looked at. Any thoughts for me whilst Adam is at Work?
Has the owner been getting it serviced by Mitsy? if so they should have a record of it. Most of the Paj owners on here have got a recall notice for it. I would call Mitsubishi with the numbers and ask, nothing to be lost by doing so.

yabbietol

Sep 2, 2014
Queanbeyan NSW

Even if previous owner has not had it serviced by Mitsubishi. Mitsubishi will still have the recall records and could easily check for you if the recall has been done. If it is not already done just get in contact with a local dealer and book it in to get it done, hopefully for free. My dealer tells me very few Pajero's have had a serious problem and the recall is mostly a preemptive activity to replace a small dud part before it can do any harm.