Missing Jack

Patto

Jul 14, 2013
Perth
Hi all,

Apparently Jayco has had problems with the jacks included in Expanda models and some recent deliveries have been shipped without them. I only found this out when returning from our shakedown trip, cleaning out the front boot and found the plate holding the jack, was missing the a jack. Lucky I found this before I really needed it, but I guess I could have used the car jack in an emergency. Spoke to Caravanland yesterday and apparently a shipment of jacks from Melbourne is on its way.
Cheers
Patto

Frosty

Jul 19, 2013
Redlands, S.E.Q.
Yup, that is something you really should have been told about. Poor customer service. By the way, what do they come with nowadays? My 04 has a 4 tonne bottle jack. Had to use it for the first time last trip with a blow out. No problems except the bloody thing only has about 150mm of lift & it took about 3 lifts, blocking with timber each time to get enough rise to change the wheel. Thankfully we have half a dozen or so various wooden blocks in the boot but would have been a real pain without them.

Frosty.

straydingo

Jul 4, 2011
Melbourne
two years on and I still haven't been to jayco to get the spare wheel securing nut changed to one that fits the wheel brave that came with it......

PJ58

Apr 23, 2014
While on the subjects of jacks that come with the expanda, has anyone experienced any troubles with them?

I was lowering my 17.56 down the other day when the jack 'fell apart' sending van down. A closer look on the jacks limitations revealed that it has a weight capacity of 1500kgs -too bad the weight of the van is substantially more than the jack can handle.

Why do Jayco give you a pissy jack that has a safety breach implications?

straydingo

Jul 4, 2011
Melbourne
The tare weight of a 17.56 is around 1700-1900kg. The jack is only lifting one side, so theoretically half that. (depending on which side) Part of the weight is also transferred through the jockey wheel. Thus the jack is rated suitably.

.....but still junk.......

A long stoke bottle jack, or one on a a very secure raised platform would be best. Might even be possible to salvage the connection head from the Jayco one to be fitted on the bottle instead to retain the secure connection to the chassis (?????)

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
Ours came with a scissor jack, but I haven't pulled it out to have a look at it, but it sounds like I better

Bmhdg76

Oct 6, 2012
North Lakes, Qld.
While on the subjects of jacks that come with the expanda, has anyone experienced any troubles with them?

I was lowering my 17.56 down the other day when the jack 'fell apart' sending van down. A closer look on the jacks limitations revealed that it has a weight capacity of 1500kgs -too bad the weight of the van is substantially more than the jack can handle.

Why do Jayco give you a pissy jack that has a safety breach implications?
There was a recall on some jacks for the van a little while ago...
Might be worth contacting Jayco about it.

BJ

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
And further more...........I actually used my Jayco scissor jack today, well I should say tried to use it, it couldn't lift my 14.44.3 with full water tanks, thankfully when I'm on the road I have a decent bottle jack and at home usually use a trolley jack but this time went for its own gear, it's junk, throw away and buy something safer and decent.

Reactions: relgate