Meaningful Search

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
Not sure what to say @Kenty
Some times you need to try a few different words or phrases.
Sometimes there will be a bit of time just to wade through results.

Trial and error I reckon

Kenty

Apr 9, 2013
Wanneroo WA
Want to see what members are doing with their audio/visual gear in the van. I'm thinking of storing the set top box in one of the overheads and running hdmi cables to outside and inside. But just want to see what others are doing/ have done.

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
Reactions: Flossymk1

Gadgets 21.63.1

aka - adam 18.57.9
Jun 29, 2013
mornington peninsula victoria
www.bifolds.co
I thinks @Gadgets 21.63.1 van is the one you may want to check out it has more cabling than my house :)
http://www.expandasdownunder.com/threads/expanda-21-64-1-ob.4926/

thanks for the mention cruza driver, kenty if your intertested then here is what i have done. just a bit of reading for you.

I use 3 tv's in my van, 32 inch outside, 32 inch inside front and 24" at the rear.

the front two are setup as follows, inside a overhead cardboard is:

2 x wd media network live players,
2 x 2 terrbyte network hard drives,
1 x nettcomm modem with telstra sim card,
1 x 8 port network switch,
1 x audio visual switch,
3 x fusion marine radio/ampliers,
1 x 12 volt to 12 voltage regulator,
1 x foxtel iq hd receiver,
1 x samsung 3d soundbar with bluetooth subwoofer. (undercardboard above tv)

the entire system except tv's and foxtel unit runs on the 12 system.

the tv outside mounts on a bracket attached to the side wall of the van, the audio and video is connected to a single cable, which i use a network connection for. this has 8 wires inside, 1 used for video, 2 used for audio to the tv from inside, and 2 used for audio return back to the inside to run the fusion system - which runs just the outside speakers. so you can adjust the volume of the tv from the tv remote, but it changes the outside flush mounted jayco speakers instead of the tv speakers.
the inside auto visual switch enables you to select from:

1) foxtel,
2) media player 1
3) media player 2
4) foxtel picture only and media player 1 sound only, (enables you to watch the footy or something on foxtel and listen to music from the media player at the same time)

while your watching what you want outside, someone inside can be watching what they want and listing to it through the 2nd fusion stereo using the inside flush mount jayco speakers or the samsung sound bar and subwoofer. 2 seperate movies or audio at the same time.

all the while down the back has another media player and foxtel connected to the 3rd fusion audio system, which runs the rear roof mounted speakers fitted by jayco. so in total 3 seperate audio systems are running, all controlled by me at the front and running off either foxtel units, or running from the movies/audio from the hard drives.

meanwhile, as the entire system is connected to wifi, you can then watch any movie on your iphone/ipad seperatley again using the network hard drives. even in the car while traveling - better than headrest screens in the car.

the hard drives hold over 2000 movies, 100,000 songs, and hundreds of tv shows as well.

also enables our kids to do homework and email it back to there teachers each day - print and scan there work as well, as there is also a wifi printer in the lower cardboard.

i chose composite video for the outside tv, as hdmi is not going to give me audio return on a budget. and the picture is fine on a 32" and your not close to the tv when your outside.

there is a inverter running also, but this inverter is connected in such a way, that if you remove the power lead from the van - then all the power points automaticly switch over from mains power to inverter power without you even knowing about it. so if someone trips over the van power lead - everything still works as normal. (except air cons).
media system.jpg
tv and audio.jpg
tv backet.jpg

Kenty

Apr 9, 2013
Wanneroo WA
thanks for the mention cruza driver, kenty if your intertested then here is what i have done. just a bit of reading for you.

I use 3 tv's in my van, 32 inch outside, 32 inch inside front and 24" at the rear.

1 x audio visual switch,

the tv outside mounts on a bracket attached to the side wall of the van, the audio and video is connected to a single cable, which i use a network connection for. this has 8 wires inside, 1 used for video, 2 used for audio to the tv from inside, and 2 used for audio return back to the inside to run the fusion system - which runs just the outside speakers. so you can adjust the volume of the tv from the tv remote, but it changes the outside flush mounted jayco speakers instead of the tv speakers.

1) foxtel,
2) media player 1
3) media player 2
4) foxtel picture only and media player 1 sound only, (enables you to watch the footy or something on foxtel and listen to music from the media player at the same time)

while your watching what you want outside, someone inside can be watching what they want and listing to it through the 2nd fusion stereo using the inside flush mount jayco speakers or the samsung sound bar and subwoofer. 2 seperate movies or audio at the same time.

all the while down the back has another media player and foxtel connected to the 3rd fusion audio system, which runs the rear roof mounted speakers fitted by jayco. so in total 3 seperate audio systems are running, all controlled by me at the front and running off either foxtel units, or running from the movies/audio from the hard drives.

meanwhile, as the entire system is connected to wifi, you can then watch any movie on your iphone/ipad seperatley again using the network hard drives. even in the car while traveling - better than headrest screens in the car.

the hard drives hold over 2000 movies, 100,000 songs, and hundreds of tv shows as well.

also enables our kids to do homework and email it back to there teachers each day - print and scan there work as well, as there is also a wifi printer in the lower cardboard.

i chose composite video for the outside tv, as hdmi is not going to give me audio return on a budget. and the picture is fine on a 32" and your not close to the tv when your outside.

there is a inverter running also, but this inverter is connected in such a way, that if you remove the power lead from the van - then all the power points automaticly switch over from mains power to inverter power without you even knowing about it. so if someone trips over the van power lead - everything still works as normal. (except air cons).View attachment 23289 View attachment 23290 View attachment 23291

You guys really go hard! That is oresome! I am sure now with yourself, Cootay and Cruza Driver I will get it sorted. I will just have to go back to Uni to understand it all. No just kidding should be able to sort. I love your work guys and help.

Reactions: cruza driver

Kate File

Apr 7, 2012
Sydney, Australia

1 x audio visual switch,

1) foxtel,
2) media player 1
3) media player 2

there is a inverter running also, but this inverter is connected in such a way, that if you remove the power lead from the van - then all the power points automaticly switch over from mains power to inverter power without you even knowing about it. so if someone trips over the van power lead - everything still works as normal. (except air cons).View attachment 23289 View attachment 23290 View attachment 23291

OMG we are awaiting our third caravan, a 20.63-1, with 2 kids, and I am standing strong by my NO TV rule!!! Board games, books and music for us. I also have a no electronic games rule during daylight hours, and only 30 minutes in the evening IF necessary.
Love going bush with no wifi and 3G too.
But that is one impressive setup, I just won't show my kids!
I was at the dealer today, looking at out completed van, and I did pause at the TV part of the supplies shop, but forced myself to move on quickly.

Gadgets 21.63.1

aka - adam 18.57.9
Jun 29, 2013
mornington peninsula victoria
www.bifolds.co
just added external gsm antenna, huge difference, gives us internet / facetime / imessage when we have no mobile reception. also added 2nd modem 4g. for use only in good 4g reception, then use the older 3g modem for country areas. added printer / scanner in bottom cardboard. then added high speed wifi for multiple device full hd movie streaming.

mfexpanda

Apr 1, 2011
Brookfield, Vic
just added external gsm antenna, huge difference, gives us internet / facetime / imessage when we have no mobile reception. also added 2nd modem 4g. for use only in good 4g reception, then use the older 3g modem for country areas. added printer / scanner in bottom cardboard. then added high speed wifi for multiple device full hd movie streaming.
Hey @Gadgets 21.63.1 how does the external gsm antenna work ? I don't even know what it looks like

mfexpanda

Apr 1, 2011
Brookfield, Vic
looks like the old mobile phone antenna's on cars back windows years ago. i will post a picture tomorrow for you. they plug into the usb stick/modem that you have. fantastic reception compared to mobile phones.
Thank you a pic would be good .
Don't know why it came up with "thank you thank you "?o_O

Last edited:

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
I have an RFI antenna, the CD1795 which is an old cellular antenna for the Telstra and Optus 3G networks. It was given to me with a CB radio and I thought it was the right antenna fir the CB but reception was not good, it worked close range but not very far. I enquired from RFI and they told what I should replace it with. I bought a CD5000 which has improved reception

Anyway, I have the CD1795 to give away if anyone would like it. Can pick up from the Gold Coast if interested. PM me for more info.