No Options Apply Maintenance of 3 way fridges

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland
As a result of @Drover's link to @Roadhouse regarding his fridge and @mikerezny's latest post on 3 way fridges, I decided to read both from start to finish. Two areas came to my notice: @mikerezny's post D6-16 Page 47 and @Drover's link pages 13 and 14. As I was fortunate enough to have some spare time, I decided to examine the burner and flue systems of my two 3 way fridges. Now I know why the book says that these areas should be checked at least once a year for fouling and corrosion, notwithstanding the claim that the burner is supposed to be corrosion proof/resistant.
When I got to the burner in my small Finch fridge, I noticed a lot of long flaky rusty particles that had dropped down from chimney vent (and also from the area holding the electric elements) onto the burner slots, partially blocking same. It was a similar story with my van fridge a Thetford 93l. Also the gas burner in the van fridge was badly corroded and the slots far from being clean. The pictures below show what was found. That was only after approx two and a half years since I had checked these areas before.

In the pictures are the long flaky rust particles. The pile of fine rust particles came from the inside of the van burner, obviously dropped down from the burner chimney and also the electrical heating elements through the slots into the burner tube itself. Notice the corrosion on the old Thetford element and the comparison with the new stainless steel unit. The original burner was made from galvanised heavy steel. The element in friend's Dometic was made of very light galvanized metal and the slots had just about rusted away and the burner had to be replaced. The Dometic burner does not have the fine gas orifice jet attached to the burner and is therefore much cheaper. The Thetford burner incorporates the gas orifice as a complete assembly at double the price. Fortunately, after friend's drama a while ago, I had ordered a burner for my fridge and found that you can have a stainless steel one or a galvanized steel one for the same price from RV Warehouse, although I was told the S/S one appeared to be "old stock". So I guess that cost cutting has stopped future production of the S/S one .
The purpose of this thread is to make members aware of what is happening with their 3 way maintenance free?? fridges and one of the reasons the fridge may not be operating at its best, and not doing the job it is capable of. Tread your own path on recommended maintenance .

WARNING: TO DO THIS YOURSELF INVOLVES UNDOING GAS LINES AND FITTINGS AND MAKING GAS TIGHT RE-CONNECTIONS. DO NOT ATTEMPT THESE TASKS UNLESS CONFIDENT IN YOUR ACTIONS. GET A PROPER GAS FITTER TO DO THIS WORK!!!

Attachments

• P1120413.JPG
    P1120413.JPG
    872.3 KB · Views: 183
  • P1120411.JPG
    P1120411.JPG
    574.5 KB · Views: 199

BJM

Sep 29, 2018
Yamba
As I have previously stated heavy wind blown rain will get down the Dometic chimney vent,hot air vents,plus found heap of water sitiing in the hotwater heater area.Not good as corrosion easily started when these areas remain damp

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
As a result of @Drover's link to @Roadhouse regarding his fridge and @mikerezny's latest post on 3 way fridges, I decided to read both from start to finish. Two areas came to my notice: @mikerezny's post D6-16 Page 47 and @Drover's link pages 13 and 14. As I was fortunate enough to have some spare time, I decided to examine the burner and flue systems of my two 3 way fridges. Now I know why the book says that these areas should be checked at least once a year for fouling and corrosion, notwithstanding the claim that the burner is supposed to be corrosion proof/resistant.
When I got to the burner in my small Finch fridge, I noticed a lot of long flaky rusty particles that had dropped down from chimney vent (and also from the area holding the electric elements) onto the burner slots, partially blocking same. It was a similar story with my van fridge a Thetford 93l. Also the gas burner in the van fridge was badly corroded and the slots far from being clean. The pictures below show what was found. That was only after approx two and a half years since I had checked these areas before.

In the pictures are the long flaky rust particles. The pile of fine rust particles came from the inside of the van burner, obviously dropped down from the burner chimney and also the electrical heating elements through the slots into the burner tube itself. Notice the corrosion on the old Thetford element and the comparison with the new stainless steel unit. The original burner was made from galvanised heavy steel. The element in friend's Dometic was made of very light galvanized metal and the slots had just about rusted away and the burner had to be replaced. The Dometic burner does not have the fine gas orifice jet attached to the burner and is therefore much cheaper. The Thetford burner incorporates the gas orifice as a complete assembly at double the price. Fortunately, after friend's drama a while ago, I had ordered a burner for my fridge and found that you can have a stainless steel one or a galvanized steel one for the same price from RV Warehouse, although I was told the S/S one appeared to be "old stock". So I guess that cost cutting has stopped future production of the S/S one .
The purpose of this thread is to make members aware of what is happening with their 3 way maintenance free?? fridges and one of the reasons the fridge may not be operating at its best, and not doing the job it is capable of. Tread your own path on recommended maintenance .

WARNING: TO DO THIS YOURSELF INVOLVES UNDOING GAS LINES AND FITTINGS AND MAKING GAS TIGHT RE-CONNECTIONS. DO NOT ATTEMPT THESE TASKS UNLESS CONFIDENT IN YOUR ACTIONS. GET A PROPER GAS FITTER TO DO THIS WORK!!!
Great post Boots.

Reactions: Boots in Action

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Well done Booties, last time I looked down my flu when wall was off....might be time to inspect again with mole cam. HWS can get gungy as well.

Reactions: Boots in Action