17' Series Mains water connection

becdan

Feb 10, 2015
Hi. Probably silly question. Is the mains water connection only for pressure or is the van supposed to use the mains water instead of the tanks? Mine is using the tanks. I have an expanda outback 17.52.2
Cheers

Bushman

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Wollondilly Shire NSW
Hi. Probably silly question. Is the mains water connection only for pressure or is the van supposed to use the mains water instead of the tanks? Mine is using the tanks. I have an expanda outback 17.52.2
Cheers

If it is using tanks the pump is on, mains will only be used when the hose is connected

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
If you are connected to the mains but have the pump turned on, if the pump operates then the mains pressure is very low. Normally though only turn the pump on when not connected to mains. Though having it on is a good way to have early warning that the mains hose has popped, for if you hear the pump go then you have lost the mains and a big flood is occuring outside.

becdan

Feb 10, 2015
With the mains water connected and the pump off there is only a small trickle coming from the taps in the van. Although there is plenty of pressure out side. Any thoughts on what might be the problem?

Bushman

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Wollondilly Shire NSW
Your van is fitted with a mains pressure limiting valve (somewhere under the van) which does reduce pressure to help stop blowing the plastic fittings/pipes apart, however if your pressure has dropped that much it may be stuffed.

I need to check ours, we lost pressure on our last trip.

They look something like this.

Reactions: bigcol

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
As @Bushman said if it is the pressure limiting valve it should bu under the van near the mains connection. Remove it, pull it apart and stretch the spring then put it back together and replace it. Try again and see if that fixes the issue.

Have had to do it to ours a couple of times and it works. Might look into a different brand as some on here have done!

Reactions: bigcol and Delano

Marv_mart

Jan 3, 2014
Adelaide
Last edited:

Dove

Aug 14, 2013
Melb, Vic.
So did I after it failed on our trip to McLaren Vale a little while ago. Has worked fine since over some big trips.
If you are not sure about using a Jaycoreplacement, try this one.
Pressure limiting valve: 'Valve Pressure Limit Nefa 500kpa'
15x15mm F Plv500fhs $69
http://www.bunnings.com.au/valve-pressure-limit-nefa-500kpa-15x15mm-f-plv500fhs_p5070005

I looked at those but they are 500kpa vs the Jayco at 350kpa. I didnt know how the different pressure would effect my van.

Marv_mart

Jan 3, 2014
Adelaide
I looked at those but they are 500kpa vs the Jayco at 350kpa. I didnt know how the different pressure would effect my van.
I believe they are still well inside the limits for Jayco plumbing. Another user has already used it very successfully.
By pulling the Jayco one apart and stretching the spring does who knows what to the pressure limit.
The Jayco one also reduces the pressure to a very low, some would say unusable level.
I have had no issues since changing mine.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
One is 50psi the other is 70psi and John Guest fittings and pipe are rated for cold water pressure of 174psi (1200kpa) so I think your safe, the HWS has it's own PRV on both sides, mains pressure is very, very rarely above 60 psi anyway.............unless the Firies get the line boosted. Big Mal is running one with the insides removed except for the restrictor which reduces the hole, found it works better, removing the whole unit the toilet flush didn't like the pressure, so for obvious reasons action needed to be taken.

BBBFLASH

Jun 20, 2016
Coffs Harbiur
Hi guys, just returned from a four day trip away...where we used 200 litres of water in 2 days. Yes, we did have 4 showers which were conservative, filled up a couple water bottles and coffees. Basically, I don't believe we went through 200 litres in 2 days. When we filled it back up, the pump kicked on and didn't stop and I noticed it was pumping water out of the mains inlet. I turned the pump off and then back on and it finally turned off. Later I noticed that when I turned on any faucet, it also pumped water out through the mains inlet as well as the faucet. See the video I tried to upload. I believe this is why we went through that much water. What should I be looking for to make sure this doesn't keep happening and I waste our water? Cheers guys.

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
@BBBFLASH There should be a one-way (non-return) valve between the mains inlet and the pump somewhere.
Depending on the installer and the location of the pump it could be located anywhere!!!! Have a look for it and see if it is installed in the right direction (Should be an arrow on it pointing away from the mains inlet). If installed correctly pull it out, strip it and make sure there are no little bits of plastic or similar stuck in it and stopping it from sealing!

Reactions: BBBFLASH

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
@BBBFLASH ,You have a non return valve in the socket you plug the mains into, this is faulty, the easiest way to fix it is to by a John Guest non return valve, ( about $20) and fit it in the line between the pump and the mains connection, this will stop your water pumping out....in an Emergency you can just connect a hose from your mains connection to the tap on the draw bar, the water will stay in the system then.................if you look at Drovers 14.44.3 thread it is detailed with pics.

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
Reactions: dagree

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
I keep forgetting about the original non return valve in the inlet fitting..... Had issues from day one with ours and the warranty agent fitted a new one inside the van and pulled the guts out of the original. No probs since!

Reactions: Drover