17' Series looking at buying a 17.56-2 OB

23chris

Sep 20, 2015
penrith
Hello one and all long time viewer first time poster

great site and ideas and looks to be a great bunch of people as well.

I'm in the market for a 2012/2013 17.56-2 OB looking as the weights look right for the Prado and in budget
any feed back would be great, things to look out for when buying like leaks cracks etc?

and if you know any body selling one please send me in the right direction cheers

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
I had a 2012 17.56.2. It was a great van. 2012 vans Should still be in pretty good condition so i dont think you need to worry too much
Good luck

Reactions: 23chris

burnsie

Jan 29, 2015
Perth
www.expandasdownunder.com
Hey @23chris we run a 2014 17.56-2 OB with a 2014 Prado 150, weights are right up there, but have done heaps of mods to the Prado so they match and work really well together and come in "within the limits for GVM and GCM etc"

A 2012/2013 or potentially if you are lucky like me a 2014 would be good for weights, of course the early models pre J-TEC suspension will be a few hundred kg's lighter. Agree with @relgate most of the vans which are a few years old are mostly in great condition which of course tends to keep the resale value quite high as well.

Good luck with the search, hopefully you find something that you like and fits your requirements

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
Our 2014 17.56.2OB was built on a 2013 chassis with the leaf spring setup which kept it just under the Prado's limit.
Shouldn't be too many issues with a 2012/13 model (Unless it wasn't looked after)... The only things I would recommend would be to make sure you test everything works more than once and ask them to turn the fridge on the day before you look so it can be checked out also.

Not sure about second hand hard bed lid models but on the earlier soft lid ones we were told to look under the mattresses for areas stained by water leaks.

Open all cupboards and anything that opens and look around for signs of water staining or wood softening and that'll let you know if there had been any previous leaks or not.... Unfortunately some leaks won't be spotted unless it's raining at the time!

Good Luck in your search :)

Reactions: Dobbie and burnsie

23chris

Sep 20, 2015
penrith
Hey @23chris we run a 2014 17.56-2 OB with a 2014 Prado 150, weights are right up there, but have done heaps of mods to the Prado so they match and work really well together and come in "within the limits for GVM and GCM etc"

A 2012/2013 or potentially if you are lucky like me a 2014 would be good for weights, of course the early models pre J-TEC suspension will be a few hundred kg's lighter. Agree with @relgate most of the vans which are a few years old are mostly in great condition which of course tends to keep the resale value quite high as well.

Good luck with the search, hopefully you find something that you like and fits your requirements

Cheers for the reply Dagree

I have a 2013 150 which is kitted out so I was worried about weights this is why I'm looking pre J-TEC do you know when the first build of J-TEC was built

Cheers

23chris

Sep 20, 2015
penrith
Our 2014 17.56.2OB was built on a 2013 chassis with the leaf spring setup which kept it just under the Prado's limit.
Shouldn't be too many issues with a 2012/13 model (Unless it wasn't looked after)... The only things I would recommend would be to make sure you test everything works more than once and ask them to turn the fridge on the day before you look so it can be checked out also.

Not sure about second hand hard bed lid models but on the earlier soft lid ones we were told to look under the mattresses for areas stained by water leaks.

Open all cupboards and anything that opens and look around for signs of water staining or wood softening and that'll let you know if there had been any previous leaks or not.... Unfortunately some leaks won't be spotted unless it's raining at the time!

Good Luck in your search :)

Thanks for the reply
Do you know the year the hard lid started I'm hopping pre 2012

Cheers

Dean Anderson

Feb 7, 2014
Isaac Region
We bought our Expanda (2012) when we had a (2003) Prado. Great match van for the car. Standard Tandem Rocker Leaf-Spring suspension... I think there's a simplicity suspension out there as well.? Was going to upgrade this week but the vans too good to change.

random dude

Dec 3, 2014
Greetings,
I am currently trying to decide on this also. The expanda outback looks a good fit for us in the compromise of cost, space, ruggedness and tow weight for my prado.

So just to clarify that the sweet spot on these vans for a prado owner is between 2009 and 2014 due to the hard lid and suspension upgrade/weigth increase respectively?

On the jayco website it claims that the tare weight for current model is 2145kg. What is the laden weight?

23chris

Sep 20, 2015
penrith
Greetings,
I am currently trying to decide on this also. The expanda outback looks a good fit for us in the compromise of cost, space, ruggedness and tow weight for my prado.

So just to clarify that the sweet spot on these vans for a prado owner is between 2009 and 2014 due to the hard lid and suspension upgrade/weigth increase respectively?

On the jayco website it claims that the tare weight for current model is 2145kg. What is the laden weight?

gday I just got a 2012 17.56-2 OB I put it over the weigh bridge and the total weight with both tanks full the 2 gas bottles full the flush tank full all my extras cooking stuff cups plates etc etc every thing other than cloths and food came to 2317kg so I still have a 100kg of free space
where you will find the 2014 onwards with Jtec suspension will just a fair bit and put you over

Dean Anderson

Feb 7, 2014
Isaac Region
100kg ?
One Waeco/Engel, Three bottles of wine, a carton of beer, and the same in the porta loo from the night before......Your over weight.:)

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
Australia
Greetings,

Its not just van weight but ball weight to if you add your 400 or 450 kgs payload its over my 2014 outback is well over for my prado i get up to 270 on the ball extended draw bar dont belive there weights as so many plates are wrounge somthing should be done to make sure companies are putting true weights on there vans how often is there weigh bridge checked ?? I now have a cruiser and a prado just need a rav 4 for the trifficta bugger me

random dude

Dec 3, 2014
Hi chris,
I see from previous posts that you have gone for the simplicity suspension. After a quick google i now know what that is. It has mixed reviews from the internet experts. You are obviously in favour, i am keen to hear your thoughts on the topic.

Also, does it add to tare weight?

100kg of free board to cover linen, clothes, kids toys, bicycles, bbq, table/chairs and consumables seems too tight. I guess you, like many others i suspect, and most likely me in the future are running marginally overweight.

I assume that most things are engineered with at least a 10% idiot factor so everything but the legalities should be ok.

I cant justify downgrading to a cruiser for the amount of towing i will do over the life of the car.

Also, does the extended draw bar add to tare weight?

Last edited:

23chris

Sep 20, 2015
penrith
Hi chris,
I see from previous posts that you have gone for the simplicity suspension. After a quick google i now know what that is. It has mixed reviews from the internet experts. You are obviously in favour, i am keen to hear your thoughts on the topic.

Also, does it add to tare weight?

100kg of free board to cover linen, clothes, kids toys, bicycles, bbq, table/chairs and consumables seems too tight. I guess you, like many others i suspect, and most likely me in the future are running marginally overweight.

I assume that most things are engineered with at least a 10% idiot factor so everything but the legalities should be ok.

I cant justify downgrading to a cruiser for the amount of towing i will do over the life of the car.

Also, does the extended draw bar add to tare weight?

Hi

I have just brought a 2012 the simplicity suspension was already fitted

as for weights as i said i have every thing in the van we take away including the weber all cooking gear plates cups every thing we take away with us that was the total weight only thing missing was cloths and some food,

as for the engel yes that goes in the back of the car with the case of beer etc don't forget you can carry some weight in the back of the car however don't forget you are limited with that also