Locks keep breaking

Ekato

Oct 22, 2012
Melbourne
My friends 16' Expanda had already had his lock broken twice. Last time last Monday. Was lucky as we had traveled to Adelaide and he had it fixed under warranty by the local dealer. As "luck" would have it mine just broke now. Key will not enter the lock. It is New Year's Eve we are now in the barossa valley and nothing open tomorrow. Van is just out of warranty. Wonderful holiday this is turning out to be. Did anyone else have problems with their locks?

Reactions: Kevin

Smash

Apr 23, 2013
Perth WA
I normally use a can of Inox in all the locks and they now work fine ,and dust doesn't seem to be a problem I just spray on a monthly bases.

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
I always thought you had to use powdered graphite as well or I have heard a finely ground grey lead pencil will do the trick. I have not touched mine from new, got me worried now. Might get some graphite.

pomtony

Oct 30, 2013
I always thought you had to use powdered graphite as well or I have heard a finely ground grey lead pencil will do the trick. I have not touched mine from new, got me worried now. Might get some graphite.

might be getting myself some too

Stan53

May 27, 2012
Melbourne, Victoria
Umm, what's wrong with a bit of oil? Works fine for me.
Must admit, I've had a dream run with mine. Just need to come up with a name for it.

pomtony

Oct 30, 2013
i think its the dust and stuff that sticks to the oil and causes problems

Jennymay

Oct 28, 2011
Perth WA
We have had trouble with door lock since it was new. Locked us out of van..... We have been using CRC but the graphite seems to be what's recommended.

Brad

Jan 2, 2012
Rowville, Victoria
Umm, what's wrong with a bit of oil? Works fine for me.
Must admit, I've had a dream run with mine. Just need to come up with a name for it.
I think the point being missed is that the lock requires a lubricant. Graphite is a lubricant also. Generally graphite is used where you can't afford to have what oil does over time where dust collects to the oil and gums up whatever it was supposed to lubricate in the first place.

Ekato

Oct 22, 2012
Melbourne
Spend 6 hours taking lock apart and finally worked out how to free the barrel. Then put it all back together and it works fine now. Will get some graphite as soon as I can. Seems part of the problem is the safety pin. Striker plate sits too far in. Will put a packer behind striker plate. Left out the pin for now until I will get back. Apart from this drama having a great time in the Barossa valley.

DaveS

Jan 10, 2014
Hi
like ppl have said graphite is best for locks as it won't attract dust like a oil film will, be careful removing the locking pin as ive worked on several vans with these stuck in and the door locks itself with a hard slam much to your disgust when the keys are inside .....
make sure you only remove the key when it's vertical, seen some locks let the key out when it's horizontal and then it's a break in job to fix it I don't usually pack the striker plate as it looks ugly, but remove the rubber moulding on inside of door frame and pack behind that instead. NOTE: a slack jayco line worker will screw the door frame into the van with front screws, they should be going sideways into the frame so the door can be adjusted (pet hate!)

hamish22

May 12, 2013
West of Newcastle
www.grmotorsport.com.au
make sure you only remove the key when it's vertical, seen some locks let the key out when it's horizontal and then it's a break in job to fix it I (pet hate!)

Yep, spent the best part of 6 hours yesterday getting door open and removing barrel so I could hammer key out, door slammed shut in wind with keys in horizontal position and that was it. Lucky for me (SWMBO really) I have a back door!

Thought lock would have been screwed afte hammering key out as it was jammed, so drove to Jayco Newcastle and picked up a new barrel but in the end old one still worked>:(

What a Job!