Electrical Lithium Battery Keeps Shutting Off

Sethyzz

Dec 28, 2021
Australia
Hey all!

currently out camping for New Years I have a lithium battery that powers my whole van but after maybe 10-13 minutes it shuts off from the whole van including my fridge that stores all our goods! We are very concerned because we are now using a generator to power the van. If they’re is anyone that can help me with this that would be very helpful! :)

the model of the power management system is a PM235J Transformer Unit

thanks again for reading! Have a good rest of your day :)

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland
Hey all!

currently out camping for New Years I have a lithium battery that powers my whole van but after maybe 10-13 minutes it shuts off from the whole van including my fridge that stores all our goods! We are very concerned because we are now using a generator to power the van. If they’re is anyone that can help me with this that would be very helpful! :)

the model of the power management system is a PM235J Transformer Unit

thanks again for reading! Have a good rest of your day :)
Hi @Sethyzz , I thought I recognised your BMS as a Projecta PM235J which came up recently on this forum. At the time I only down-loaded the page on battery charging with this unit. On one of the pages, the following is stated:
Lithium Battery Charging.
The PM235J can be configured to charge a lithium battery. With a lithium battery, the max charging current will automatically be set at 30% of battery capacity (lmax=0.3C) . The last bit means that if your Lithium battery has an amhour capacity of 100ah, then the max charge rate at any time will be 30 amps.

So with what are you charging the lithium battery with?? And have you configured your BMS with the correct ah capacity, and is it getting enough charge to meet your current electrical demands??? At what voltage does it cut out? Battery voltage could be dropping below the LVD (low voltage disconnect) which I think was approx 10.5 volts. Was it fully charged before you started camping and what electrical devices are you running?
Strongly suggest that you read the full instruction booklet or download a copy. On page 15 is a list of fault lights which provide you with an indication of any faults of what is/is not happening. Pages 21 and 22 are very important, so read carefully. Anything you don't understand, put it on the forum as there are members who will be able to assist.

Last edited:
Reactions: Drover

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Also whats your solar panel set up ??? Is the Projecta charging the battery while running the genny, that could be a tell tale as to the problem.....