17' Series Limiting water flow in shower

Mitchbat

May 27, 2016
Perth
Hi All, After a couple of free camping trips in our 17.56 I've noticed the shower is a major water consumer. There are 4 in our family and even with a quick shower each night for each person we tend to run out of water after 4 or so days. I've read that the shower pumps around 8 litres p/min. I have been researching low flow shower heads but even the most expensive ones allow around 5 L p/m. I'm wondering if anyone has come up with a decent solution (other than turning the shower off while you lather up etc) for this problem. I know the external showers have a plastic insert to limit pressure and thought that something along these lines may do the job? That way it would be easily removable for those times when water isn't scarce.

Reactions: Drover

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Lowering the pressure/flow usually means they stay under longer to try and wash the soap off so you don't really gain, the wet down/soap down/wash down is really the best option especially if you have a mixer tap, keeping to a 3 min shower and half tap throttle would be the best way.
But if you really want to restrict the flow then you can insert a bung into the lines with a smaller diameter hole which will cut back the flow or you could put a tap on each line under van which you can turn down for free camping and full on for mains..........that would probably be the best way, then you have full control while restricters whether in line or in the shower nozzle would be a pain on mains water.
You will probably find a flow restricter already in your shower head anyway, I pulled them out of mine.

Reactions: dagree and Base23

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
The other alternative is to restrict the number of showers.

22l for each heated water tank should easily give two full showers....so for 4 people, in four days that's a good few showers. But you need water for other things such as coffee!

2l in a tub ....or the hand basin ..heated water...gives at least a good wash down....so that saves on cleaning body time and leaves more time for camping.

If free camping you just need to be clean, not pristine clean but maybe we're just not as clean as we could be. That's half the fun.

Reactions: dagree and Drover

Mitchbat

May 27, 2016
Perth
Thanks for the advice Drover. Unfortunately keeping to 3 min showers at half throttle is hard to regulate with young kids and not to mention my wife. I like the idea of a tap on each line but it may be a little hard to regulate temperature. I'm thinking perhaps a bung in between the handheld shower nozzle and the inlet line may be the ticket, this would be easy enough to remove when mains water is available

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
One of those 1000lt tanks on a trailer behind the van, thats I would have needed when we had our 4 camping with us, usually campes by a river, creek or the beach but then we needed a trailer just for the food, boys tend to eat..........:popcorn:....................In my Navy days we had 2 min showers at sea often due to lack of water some resorted to Pressure Pak showers, a liberal spray with the Lynx etc.........................................it is a predicament though, solar bag showers work well..............................In the Malayan jungle went for 3 weeks without a shower, after the first week we didn't notice but nobody would come near us back at base :painkiller: , no 2 min shower then I can tell you...:bathbaby:......................Oooppss topic wander ..:o

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
I lashed out and purchased a little water pump to pull from a river or dam when we are near one for longer showers. Unfortunately even though its a Honda engine, it would awaken the dead when its in full flight, so not really peaceful, but I do like a long shower :)

Stone Stomper

Jul 2, 2011
Glenelg SA
www.stonestomper.com.au
image0041 (2).jpg
I put a toilet tap if you like at the shower rose connection, this way you can leave the mixer tap set to the right temp and just turn the "toilet tap" on a small amount and easy to turn on and off while soaping up without wasting water trying to get the mixer tap right again.

Christian

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
If you have a mixer tap you just push the handle in to shut, pull out to open, why would you have to adjust things again............at least thats how mine works.

Reactions: Crusty181

Stone Stomper

Jul 2, 2011
Glenelg SA
www.stonestomper.com.au
That's right Drover but with the kids and us moving the handle full on uses too much water and then playing around with the temp each time as we turn on and off for soaping and washing off, just my experience and now we can go almost 7 days four of us showering every day.

Different when we are mains full pressure all round with a full HWS tank each as it doesn't happen very often.

Reactions: Drover and Smirke

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I used to turn the water off with the kids at home, we only had tank water but they would wait for me to be down the paddock....buggers.

WHHEMI

Jan 18, 2016
Yarra Valley
We had a 12v outlet fitted to the bathroom when we had our Journey built, we always try and stay neer a river or lake when free camping and heat up water on the fire in a large billy that way we can use a primus 12v shower with a bucket of water.

Reactions: Crusty181

Mitchbat

May 27, 2016
Perth
View attachment 44264 I put a toilet tap if you like at the shower rose connection, this way you can leave the mixer tap set to the right temp and just turn the "toilet tap" on a small amount and easy to turn on and off while soaping up without wasting water trying to get the mixer tap right again.

Christian
This is a great idea Christian. I think you have solved my problem.
Cheers
Mitch

Stone Stomper

Jul 2, 2011
Glenelg SA
www.stonestomper.com.au
No worries Mitch, we also found with just the mixer tap and on half way with the pump the temperature of the water was not constant so now you just pull the mixer on full and adjust the temp them don't touch it just adjust the flow with the toilet tap.

Christian

millers

Mar 25, 2011
Adelaide
Have not had the water trouble yet, but as we try and get more into free camping I could see children always trying to push the boundary.
The water pump switch is an option, but will have consequences. Did a quick search and the following came up. Although I am expecting that it would cost more than the caravan. Do not know if you could get adjustable ones or how to adjust if you are on mains.

http://www.archiexpo.com/prod/delabie/product-107-1685773.html
http://resource.enware.com.au/Resources/ENW119_Time-Flow_Tapware.pdf

Maybe make the shower coin operated, place a hand pump in the shower and allow them to use as much as they want, turn the hot water off to the shower ...
Ok I am getting silly now.

The other method is to limit the pump time to the shower. You could wire one of these into the pump circuit with a normal / Shower switch and a water proof switch in the shower.

http://www.jaycar.com.au/12v-3a-timer-module-2-seconds-to-23-minutes/p/AA0364

Dare I say it, solutions that help make it easier and simpler are good (@Stone Stomper tap) other solutions will complicate the issue and still allow high water usage and big arguments. People need to know and understand the restrictions.

PS I would likely be the one wasting the water...

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
If they want to stand under a shower for ages then they should be issued with a jerry can and funnel to fill the tank back up.............run out of water then they know why ????? ...........the smaller the offender then the smaller the water can, hate to see them tent camping.............

Reactions: dagree and Dobbie

Dove

Aug 14, 2013
Melb, Vic.
You dont really need to shower every day. Back in the olden days people used to have a quick wash with a bit of water in a basin or bucket. They were clean and didnt smell.

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
Yep. Agree.....we do that often to save water....and we don't smell!

As said in other threads, we can be totally self sufficient for an extended period of time with the two existing tanks and a slab of drinking water. ( we did get a bit of rain and that helped but three weeks is possible )

The more you play around with restriction valves etc the more complicated camping (and life) becomes.

My vote is to keep it simple but then.....

:blabla::blah:
:bathbaby:

Reactions: dagree and WHHEMI