17' Series Let the mods begin.....

Omar H

Jan 12, 2017
Sydney
hi all,

I want to get a start on some mods for my 17-52 expanda and I wanted to get some tips from the lads.

Some of the things on my list -

1. Solar. I don't do too much off the grid camping, so just looking at a 150w roof mounted panel. I did this on our 2008 Swan, so I think I should be okay doing this on the Panda.

2. Straps under the bed end lids. I think I saw a picture of this in a thread of @bigcol - any info or some more details pics on how to do this? I tried searching the forum with little success.

3. Rear mounted bike rack. I'm ok with my hands when it comes to electrical installs (lights, solar, 12v installs) but am useless with anything involving metal works. I'm envious of all the guys here who fabricate their own boxes, racks, etc!! Should I just try a regular sheet metal workshop or how should I go about getting a rear mounted bike rack fabricated?

4. Wardrobe shelving. I've seen a few posts on various options. I'm going to install timber shelves - I just need to make a trip down to Bunnings to get the timber and I'll give this a go.

5. I've been told that deflappers are a must because they will help support the annex. Is this correct?

6. Possibly some additional 12v/USB outlets as the only ones available are the one for the TV and one next to the entry (that the previous owner installed). I'll wait for a month or so before I decide on this.

7. Fridge thermometer. Again, @bigcol was the inspiration behind this. Only thing I'm concerned about is that it looks like you have to cut into the plastic panel on the front of the fridge so just want some advice on how best to do this before I butcher the job!

That's all for now, but plenty more to come I'm sure!

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
hi all,

I want to get a start on some mods for my 17-52 expanda and I wanted to get some tips from the lads.

7. Fridge thermometer. Again, @bigcol was the inspiration behind this. Only thing I'm concerned about is that it looks like you have to cut into the plastic panel on the front of the fridge so just want some advice on how best to do this before I butcher the job!

That's all for now, but plenty more to come I'm sure!

Have a look at one of these for your thermometer. A few of us have them and they work really well.

No cutting of anything required

http://m.ebay.com.au/itm/AcuRite-Wi...ermometer-w-Programmable-Alarms-/291488848184

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
Hi @Omar H and welcome to the forum..... "Let the Mods Begin" is a dangerous title for a post in here ;)

1. Solar. 150W would be fine. What size battery will you be getting/using? (Guessing the 17.56 is a touring model seeing it didn't come with solar?

2. Bed end straps. Here's a few pics that might help you out:
Img_0249.jpg Img_0250.jpg Img_0251.jpg Img_0252.jpg

3. Rear Bike Rack. Can't help there but someone else might be able to. Or print off some pics of what you want and take them to a metal fabricator and they might help!

4. Wardrobe shelving. Have a look at @bigcol 's build. He did some slide out drawers (as others have as well). I was lazy and went the timber shelves but may change to slide out one day.
Img_0255.jpg

5. Deflappers? Or do you mean the Anti Flap Kit containing bars to attach the annex end walls to? The clamp on/velcro deflappers are OK for stopping the awning roof flapping in a slight breeze but the AFK's will do the same as well as supporting annex walls and privacy end walls if using them.

6. Extra USB outlets. Definately go for it if you have the need to charge multiple phones, tablets etc. I added a couple of extras (And standard 12V plugs) under the dinette on the panel under the seat where the battery is fitted. Thinking about adding a couple more near the bed ends and bunks when I get time.
12V power sockets 01.jpg 12V power sockets 02.jpg

7. Fridge thermometer. @bigcol did a good job fitting his. But like you I was concerned of butchering the panel so went with a wireless thermometer..... So far it's worked without an issue! Pic for example.
companion fridge thermometer.jpg

And there is a No 8...... Get out there and enjoy the van and post some pics and reports ;)

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Oh welcome to the mob @Omar H great start for sure and @dagree seems to have covered it all, for starters anyway, the fridge thermometer shown is pretty good they stop every so often usually batteries get too cold so just swap batteries around............If you haven't got an annex don't spend the readies until you see if you really need one, they are heavy things and just shade screens can do the job.........most of the time.....
We will certainly help you spend your money wisely...........................

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
@dagree has done a great job of answering, especially about the straps under the beds
the clamp thingys that are screwed into the bed base, I picked up from a 4WD shop - pkt of 2 was like $10.00

I cheated - I used a Dremel to cut the hole for the thermometer to sit, and sikaflexed a piece of a straw inside the fridge to hold the probe
and I got the Thermometer from eBay
similar to that one

4. Wardrobe shelving. I've seen a few posts on various options. I'm going to install timber shelves - I just need to make a trip down to Bunnings to get the timber and I'll give this a go.

I went to Howards Storage for the sliding shelves

Reactions: dagree

Bridgetw19

Oct 19, 2016
Country
@dagree has done a great job of answering, especially about the straps under the beds
the clamp thingys that are screwed into the bed base, I picked up from a 4WD shop - pkt of 2 was like $10.00

I cheated - I used a Dremel to cut the hole for the thermometer to sit, and sikaflexed a piece of a straw inside the fridge to hold the probe
and I got the Thermometer from eBay
similar to that one

I went to Howards Storage for the sliding shelves
Hi big col, just wondering if you could take a picture of your slide out shelved? We are on holidays and near a Howard's storage world. We have to shelve our front wardrobes in our 22.68.1

Bridgetw19

Oct 19, 2016
Country
Hi
Hi @Omar H and welcome to the forum..... "Let the Mods Begin" is a dangerous title for a post in here ;)

1. Solar. 150W would be fine. What size battery will you be getting/using? (Guessing the 17.56 is a touring model seeing it didn't come with solar?

2. Bed end straps. Here's a few pics that might help you out:
View attachment 47387 View attachment 47388 View attachment 47389 View attachment 47390

3. Rear Bike Rack. Can't help there but someone else might be able to. Or print off some pics of what you want and take them to a metal fabricator and they might help!

4. Wardrobe shelving. Have a look at @bigcol 's build. He did some slide out drawers (as others have as well). I was lazy and went the timber shelves but may change to slide out one day.
View attachment 47391

5. Deflappers? Or do you mean the Anti Flap Kit containing bars to attach the annex end walls to? The clamp on/velcro deflappers are OK for stopping the awning roof flapping in a slight breeze but the AFK's will do the same as well as supporting annex walls and privacy end walls if using them.

6. Extra USB outlets. Definately go for it if you have the need to charge multiple phones, tablets etc. I added a couple of extras (And standard 12V plugs) under the dinette on the panel under the seat where the battery is fitted. Thinking about adding a couple more near the bed ends and bunks when I get time.
View attachment 47392 View attachment 47393

7. Fridge thermometer. @bigcol did a good job fitting his. But like you I was concerned of butchering the panel so went with a wireless thermometer..... So far it's worked without an issue! Pic for example.
View attachment 47395

And there is a No 8...... Get out there and enjoy the van and post some pics and reports ;)
dagree, could you please take a up close picture of your shelves? How have you framed it to the cupboard?

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
@Bridgetw19 As the shelving was to be temporary until I find the right sized pull out system the shelves are mounted using 4 X small L shaped brackets held in with 12mm x 6G screws and sikaflex....

Shelving Bracket.jpg

Photo was taken before cleaning up the cut edges and screwing in underneath 8-)

Bridgetw19

Oct 19, 2016
Country
T
@Bridgetw19 As the shelving was to be temporary until I find the right sized pull out system the shelves are mounted using 4 X small L shaped brackets held in with 12mm x 6G screws and sikaflex....

View attachment 47568

Photo was taken before cleaning up the cut edges and screwing in underneath 8-)
Thanks for that. I went to ikea the other day and found wire shelves but it wastes the back space as the robes go on the angle. Did you just get the wood from burnings? Is it laminex

Omar H

Jan 12, 2017
Sydney
Hello all,

Sorry for my disappearance act. First week or so back at work, and things are quite manic at the moment.

I finally got a start on the panda. First things first, I bought the solar panel and regulator from Coast to Coast and using a bracket system I bought off eBay, I used sikaflex to secure it to the roof. The hardest part was figuring out how to navigate the cable behind the aircon down to the battery, which took some fiddling. In the end, I removed the antenna fitting and with the help of a yellow tongue and a trusty apprentice, was able to route the cable down.

While I was at it, I ran a couple of extra 10amp cables down in case I want to install 12v or any other electrical points. Quite proud of myself for remembering to do that. The cables are loomed and sitting in one of the top cupboards and just need to be terminated/connected.

I also purchased the D-rings and tie down straps so I can copy the bed cover storage posted above and was about to get a start on it but SWMBO forced me to call it a day for now.

For the cupboard shelving, I'm thinking of creating a stencil/template which I will use so I can drill multiple holes into the cupboard sides (much like flat packed bookshelves), the shelves will sit on those little hat thingies and that way I can adjust the shelving heights. Anyone have any ideas whether that will be plausible?

A few photos to come....

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
For the cupboard shelving, I'm thinking of creating a stencil/template which I will use so I can drill multiple holes into the cupboard sides (much like flat packed bookshelves), the shelves will sit on those little hat thingies and that way I can adjust the shelving heights. Anyone have any ideas whether that will be plausible?

the cupboard walls are not that thick that they would support those shelf hangers - think 3 ply thickness................

they are not very substantial

Reactions: Drover