Leather??

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
We have leather recliners at home and we have sheets over them as they are hot to sit on in summer and cold in winter. I certainly would not have them in a van. :o Just my opinion.

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
I think the heat would be a real issue and sand/water as well. If you did go leather, it may be heaps cheaper for an auto trimmer to recover the material seats (even if its a new van). Heaps of people do that with cars.

brotys

Jun 15, 2013
leongatha
I would not do it thought off it in our new van but got talked out off it very quick thank god for that heat & cold not for me

Reactions: skippy

CJ1177

Jan 28, 2013
Newcastle
www.facebook.com
I would have jumped at leather if it was an option for me, do you have kids.
Before we had children I thought no way to leather, cant get it dirty with mud, sand, water etc etc, but now we have it in both cars & the lounge room LOVE it.
They are so easy to clean, sand & crumbs - brush it off, mud - damp cloth wipe it off, sticky drink - warm cloth wipe it off, all with no trace or stain.
Sure the seats in the car get hot when they are in direct sunlight, but it's only a short term discomfort & warm up quick in the winter, I wouldn't think the seats in the caravan would get all that hot compared to a car.

The Wadamses

Jan 13, 2014
Tassie (near Launceston)
We couldn't get Jayco to sell it to us no matter how hard we tried. Maybe they've changed their position over last two years but they were really adamant it was for Sterlings or better.
We're with @CJ1177 in terms of ease with kids + aesthetics, but Prestige Geelong sales guys tried & so did we direct to management, with no luck. Talked about re-upholstering ourselves couple of years ago, but there are so many other amazing mods people have shared on this forum that it slid right off the to-do list.
Be keen to hear if you can get Jayco to the party, bc we'll certainly do it in our next Expanda if we can.

Reactions: blacky

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
We couldn't get Jayco to sell it to us no matter how hard we tried. Maybe they've changed their position over last two years but they were really adamant it was for Sterlings or better.
We're with @CJ1177 in terms of ease with kids + aesthetics, but Prestige Geelong sales guys tried & so did we direct to management, with no luck. Talked about re-upholstering ourselves couple of years ago, but there are so many other amazing mods people have shared on this forum that it slid right off the to-do list.
Be keen to hear if you can get Jayco to the party, bc we'll certainly do it in our next Expanda if we can.

It is definitely an option now.

Reactions: The Wadamses

hamish22

May 12, 2013
West of Newcastle
www.grmotorsport.com.au
We have Leather dinette in our van, didn't order it as it was an inclusion in the van!

Was very scepticle at first, especially with this hot/cold thing but after a few trips and the big christmas hitout love it.

Picture in here somewhere! http://www.expandasdownunder.com/threads/deposit-down.3204/

Cleans easy, colour being a beige style colour made it very cool over the xmas holidays and have had no troubles with coldness in winter.
Apart from that it looks great!

The wife does now keep throw rugs on it for protection when we are away.

S&k

Jan 27, 2014
Cairns
we have leather in our disco 3 and its great thats why I was thinking about it in the van. we have a camel colour in the car and with the kids its easy to clean.

blacky

Sep 17, 2013
Townsville QLD
I'd never had leather in anything until i bought our prado.. we love it! then came the leather lounge suite.. next the van? Maybe!

Its great, as said above, its so easy to clean up after the kids, just a quick wipe down and done. No stains, the only problem is high wear areas (ie. drivers seat edges) and my wifes mini foxy has left a few scratches when his nails have got a bit sharp at one point. Otherwise, awesome :)

S&k

Jan 27, 2014
Cairns
With the leater option im now being told that we can only get it on tbe seats. I w a s originally told that it would also be on the bolster peice on the bunks. Has anyone else had any experience with this?

hamish22

May 12, 2013
West of Newcastle
www.grmotorsport.com.au
Did it cost anything additional? When was your van delivered?
Just checked my notes, leather was quoted at $1962 for dining suite,and bolsters
Took delivery June 27th, van was built March 2013.

2 pics bolster above dining seats and bolster above awning side window. Don't have one of bunk window bolster!

Attachments

• bolster 1.jpg
    bolster 1.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 208
  • bolster 2.jpg
    bolster 2.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 180
Last edited:

S&k

Jan 27, 2014
Cairns
Love to see one of the bunk bolster. All we are asking for is the main dinette chairs and the top bunk bolster. We are having the bottom bunk built in. If you could take a pic of the bunk bolster I would really appreciate it and I would have some ammunition for when they try and tell me that they don't do it. I was told I has never been done.